Find
Notify
Tools

257 Wby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good Day,

Does anyone have any experience or data loading the 257 Weatherby Magnum with any of the following powders:

Vihtavuori N170, N570
Retumbo

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not I
I use IMR 7828

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Not I
I use IMR 7828

Thanks but unfortunately the agents aren't bringing IMR7828 into the country

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
I have not tried Retumbo, but I have used H1000 and RL25 with Barnes 100gr TTSX. I used Quickload to start my load workups and Retumbo seemed a bit too slow requiring almost 110% case fill for the 100gr TTSX. I am not sure all the powder would fit in the case. I don't like to use compressed loads unless absolutely necessary.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use H870 with good success. I don't know how it compares to the powders available to you.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
In regard to my previous post about Retumbo in the 257 Wby, I got curious after I made that post. And I got out my Retumbo and 257 Wby cases and checked it out and found that a max load of Retumbo with a 100gr Barnes TTSX fits just fine, right up to the base of the neck. So I was wrong about Retumbo being to slow for the case.
I even made up some test loads for the next time I head out the the range.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I imagine Retumbo would work fine. I hope so....I have 4 lbs of it :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
Tried Retumbo in my 257. I used the 117 gr Sierra game king. Worked up to a max of 75grs with a Weatherby case, a Fed 215 primer with an oal of 3.265. Vel was 3377 ft/sec from my 24" barrel and accuracy was 1/2 moa at 100 yrds. Real great load.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All three of those powders are listed for heavier bullets in the 257 Weatherby. You are in luck.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote