THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Kinetic Buller Puller for RUM or large case cartridges

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kinetic Buller Puller for RUM or large case cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I have some Lazzeroni rounds and I need to pull a couple but they wont fit in my bullet puller.

Does somebody make one for really fat cases?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you just have a few; put them in your press and stick them up through the die hole; grab the bullet with vise grips and pull the handle down.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With side cutter pliers, sometimes it wont even hurt the bullet.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i used this cheap one recently to pull some 7mmRUM bullets. I'm not familiar with Lazzeroni rounds but this one worked for the RUM.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/e...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have bought every NEW mousetrap idea over the years in the reloading field. RCBS made + may still a bullet puller that is used on your press + threaded 7/8X14 + uses a collet, not unlike your case trimmer. Like other better mousetraps, this sets on the shelf + I use the kinetic when necessary.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
The Lyman orange and grey kinetic puller should be large enough (it easily fits the big Weatherby's).
I can loan you mine, but the shipping is probably about as much as the tool.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS Collet puller, it is slow to use but does an excellent job.
I threw my kinetic hammer type puller in the trash years ago. It bent the handle trying to dismantle heavily crimped 220gr pills in 300WM and tore through the stupid aluminium case holder thingy a dozen times in ONE round.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kyler and others

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a kinetic puller, throw the stupid aluminum shell holders in a box and use the same shell holder you use in your press. Works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Hornady Collet puller...Kinetic Pullers are a pain if you have to process a bunch of ammo. The 7mm collet puller will work with any 7mm round in your press. Have a different caliber? Buy a new collet...works the same. Easy... Very minimal marring of the bullet. I could easily pull 5 or 6 bullets with a collet puller for every on I could pull with a kinetic puller. The kinetic is OK for a few rounds...beyond that use a collet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran into this same issue the the .416 Rigby (which the Lazzeroni head size is similar to) and .460 Wby years ago and switched to a collet did set up. I’d invest in a collet puller die and not look back.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My buddy reamed out a generic kinetic puller for a 338 Lapua. Old trick, the shellholder is much easier than the 4 petal spring loaded thingy.

I hear the Lyman is the biggest.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The Lyman packaging sez it will take a 338 Lapua

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firearmdoc, thanks for that tip. Just like the jitterbug, it was so simple that it plumb evaded me. Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my books, the kinetic only has one use. If there is not enough nose to grab onto, then I use a kinetic and hope I have very few to pull. If it's a cast bullet, I don't worry about ruining it as I can remelt it, so I run it up through my press and latch onto it with pliers. The RCBS collet puller is great when you want to save the bullet and especially when you have several to pull. Back in the 60's when I got the RCBS puller the nut didn't have a lock screw and the puller would loosen when removing the bullet. After I put a locking nut on it, it works like a charm. You do need a collet for the various sizes.

've heard if you use a shell holder in a kinetic puller, there is danger of setting a round off????

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used shell holders in kinetics many, many times without setting a round off. Never heard of it happening, either.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine any reason that it would either.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Got the Lyman, works great. Thanks.

Regrading the shellholder risk, that is about the most non-sensical rumor I have ever heard.

Given shellholders are designed with a hole in the center for the primer to escaped thru when decapped, someone please explain what protrusion is going to ignite the primer.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have used kinetic pullers for a long time,that is until I got into breaking down some factory ammo in 375 RUM,the amount of strikes needed got me a little worried,reading on the internet,I learned of detonations in the puller with ammo in some calibers,I have since bought a puller that grabs the bullet above the press in the die hole & it works well,this just my experience.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best not to beat on loaded ammo w/ any tool.

My RCBS collet puller(7/8"-14tpi) has worked per the design since the 80's.

My 1-1/4" thrd R8 collet puller has worked for the 50BMG & smaller magnum cases the same duration.

Buy Once,Cry Once.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
Best not to beat on loaded ammo w/ any tool.

My RCBS collet puller(7/8"-14tpi) has worked per the design since the 80's.

My 1-1/4" thrd R8 collet puller has worked for the 50BMG & smaller magnum cases the same duration.

Buy Once,Cry Once.

I've had an RCBS collet bullet puller since... ah, before the 80's. Just buy a ne collet size when needed. Very good tool.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the rationale of how a round was set off using a shell holder in a kinetic puller, but it supposedly happened??? Years ago when I read it and it made sense at the time. I didn't witness it.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Ive pulled hundreds if not close to a thousand with my first one before it shattered from use.
Unless you impacted the primer with something I don't think It could go off. They drop ammo in crates out out of airplanes so I wouldn't be to concerned about it.
Pointed bullets in a tubular mag I can understand but not with a bullet puller.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it is an RCBS and it breaks call them up and they will send you a new one free no questions asked

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote