Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader 22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen:

I have been using Reloader 22 recently for 300 H&H and 30-06. Using Nosler loads from their website I've experienced velocities well over book data. This holds true for both calibers.

For example: yesterday I shot 3 rounds of 30-06 loaded at 58.0 grains. Nosler data shows a velocity for this load of 2641 using a 180 grain partition PPT. My average velocity for this load was 2791.

Note that I have loaded other powders for other calibers and have gotten velocities which follow book data so I don't think I have a chronograph problem.

I suppose I could have a lot of Reloader 22 which is "hot"?

Have any of you had similar issues with Reloader 22? Thanks in advance for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Afternoon Dahav,

RL-22, which is allegedly Norma's MRP and, I believe, made by Norma for Alliant, is superb power. It'll perform exceptionally well with 160 and 175 grain bullets out of my 24" barreled 7MM Rem Mag. My chrono reveals that it'll exceed "book" velocities.

I get 3000 FPS with a max charge of RL-22 and 150 grain Partitions out of my 22" barreled .270 Win.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
Good Afternoon Dahav,

RL-22, which is allegedly Norma's MRP and, I believe, made by Norma for Alliant, is superb power. It'll perform exceptionally well with 160 and 175 grain bullets out of my 24" barreled 7MM Rem Mag. My chrono reveals that it'll exceed "book" velocities.

I get 3000 FPS with a max charge of RL-22 and 150 grain Partitions out of my 22" barreled .270 Win.

Yes sir- my other two loads for 30-06 with RL-22 were;

60 Grains at an average velocity of 2906 and

62 Grains at an average velocity of 2982!

Both were using Nosler 180 grain partition ppt bullets.

These loads from the Nosler load data.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Air temp?
Rifle bore temp?
Ammo in sun?

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
Air temp?
Rifle bore temp?
Ammo in sun?

Air temp varied between the 60s in March, April and May and 84 yesterday. Cold barrels and ammo in the shade in all occasions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't comment specifically on RL22 as it's not a powder I use but if memory serves I think RL22 is noted for more lot to lot variation than other powders. I have experienced similar with one powder type when switching batches, going from older to newer production. It's only an issue if encountering erratic pressure and / or accuracy. If there are no alarming indicators just enjoy the advantages you are getting.
Published reloadng data tends to be more a guide than a statement of absolute potential but its' value is in establishing sensible starting loads and showing where maximum limits might be approached. Always, working up loads while looking for pressure indicators is key but I'm sure you're aware of this already.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I can't comment specifically on RL22 as it's not a powder I use but if memory serves I think RL22 is noted for more lot to lot variation than other powders. I have experienced similar with one powder type when switching batches, going from older to newer production. It's only an issue if encountering erratic pressure and / or accuracy. If there are no alarming indicators just enjoy the advantages you are getting.
Published reloadng data tends to be more a guide than a statement of absolute potential but its' value is in establishing sensible starting loads and showing where maximum limits might be approached. Always, working up loads while looking for pressure indicators is key but I'm sure you're aware of this already.

Is it one of the temperature sensitive powders?

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1088 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta be temp sensitive powder naive. I've killed big game in well below freezing temps and in tee-shirt temps. I've never experienced a temp issue with H-4831 and IMR-4350 and decades old factory ammo.

Does actual science support temp sensitivity, or is it unproved theory?

Hunting and fishing share may similarities. The old fisherman's bromide of: fishing tackle is marketed to catch fishermen is assuredly transferable to hunting. I could go on long range, offshore fishing trips with all the tackle I'll need inside of a very small tackle box. I could go on (have gone on) a big game hunt with a tag or tags, one accurate and reliable rifle, and a half-dozen cartridges. The rest are luxuries.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
I gotta be temp sensitive powder naive. I've killed big game in well below freezing temps and in tee-shirt temps. I've never experienced a temp issue with H-4831 and IMR-4350 and decades old factory ammo.

Does actual science support temp sensitivity, or is it unproved theory?

Hunting and fishing share may similarities. The old fisherman's bromide of: fishing tackle is marketed to catch fishermen is assuredly transferable to hunting. I could go on long range, offshore fishing trips with all the tackle I'll need inside of a very small tackle box. I could go on (have gone on) a big game hunt with a tag or tags, one accurate and reliable rifle, and a half-dozen cartridges. The rest are luxuries.

It might be an issue if one is operating with maximum or near maximum loads. Of course factory ammo has safegurads built into it so if your using factory ammo you may never know. Shooting maximum loads on a 100 degree day might give you some surprises. Go out on a hot day and put some ammo in direct sunlight and some in an ice chest and see if you notice any difference.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1088 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, RL-22 and its clone, Norma MRP, have been demonstrated to exhibit larger lot-to-lot variations than the typical canister-grade powder. That is why it is important to buy enough of one lot of this powder to last you through load development and hunting usage for a significant period of time since you'll have to at least check any new lot against the old one if not go back through the entire load development process again.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never had a problem with RL-22 and the nay sayer claims,mostly referring to a couple of gun rag claims..work up loads that fit your rifle. some velocity quotes here resemble 300 Win. or Weatherby chronograped loads..less powder is a good start. A o6 with a 180 gr. bullet should max at 2700 to 2800 max and only in some rifles..2700 FPS is suggested, a 200 at 2600 and these two loads will kill even the largest bear and if fact has killed Buffalo, Lion and elephant with solids..

RL-22 is a great powder in the 30-06 and gives high velocity within proper PSI in my two 06s. Weather has never effected my RL-22 loads one bit...If your not satisfied with RL-22 then use H414, its a great powder in the 30-06 and give high velocity..4831 and 4350 has been the powder for the 06 for ions, but IMO today we have better, mostly because I hate to weigh every round and those old powder cut grains in a measure and vary in weight, Rl-22 and H414 do not and the measure extremely accurate if your consistant in your delivery..I use the scale to set my measure and only weigh one case out of 50, tested it many times and don't need to use the scale at all, in fact won a few dollars on bets..Ive also sat my guns loaded or ammo on the hot hood of a truck in 105 to 120 degree heat and couldn't dig up any worthwhile information from that??? no problems with heat or cold with any of the powders I tried with loads that were at book max or a grain less..?

Makes one wonder about all the expertise out there today..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I use it exclusively in some WSM's and other magnums. I have never seen variances in accuracy or velocities using R22. From mid 70s to near zero degrees and elevation changes. It is one of my go to powders.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot RL-22 for many years from .270 WSM, 300 Win mag up to 416 Rigby. Hunting Alaska, Colorado, Canada, Alaska, from -22 up to 100 degrees I have never noticed any difference in performance due to temperatures. Having read about it’s temperature sincetivity for years I have yet to notice any perceptive difference. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your results are comparing the loading book to your chronograph...Go with the 2700 plus load...its the good one...you are 150 fps difference, that's not enough to sweat and it won't changemuch anyway..I think the problem is Noslers ballistician not your gun or reloading..Ive seen so many mistakes in loading books its unreal..The worst is that guy in Australia..Also guns can vary as to tightness of the barrel, the twist, thickness of the brass and are your cases properly trimmed, that cas run pressure up if they are too long.

Your good to go..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote