Tools

awcrud
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mzimmers:
Thanks for the link, woods...you've been very helpful. How big a deal do you think it really is whose primers I use, bearing in mind that I'll be happy with a consistent 1" group?

You're welcome, and thanks for chipping in georgeld

mzimmers, you've already gone from shooting 2" groups at 2700 fps to shooting 7/8" groups at 3000 fps. Just keep loading and keep reading. As you load more and more, little things that come with practice will add more and more to your consistancy and that is where accuracy lies.

Try 5 shots with large rifle primers, 5 shots with magnum primers and 5 shots with a different name brand primer. Do your own tests because results will vary in your rifle from any other tests in other rifles. The more shooting you do the better your shooting will be.

If you can afford it buy some quality brass like Norma, Lapua or Nosler. They do make a difference. Get a load book from

http://www.loadbooks.com/

these books include data from different sources all in one place.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the encouragement, but remember the 7/8" was at only 50 yards! Still, I can try some loads around the 65.4 area to see if anything "brings them in" a bit.

I just ordered the loadbook for 7mm RM. If I like it (as I imagine I will) I'll get one for my .454 Casull.

I'll look into new brass, but I don't think there's anything wrong with what I have. Estate is made by Federal, who is supposed to be pretty decent.

I will indeed talk to Nosler about their bullets. They're closed this week, so I'll call them on Monday. It will be interesting to see how the accuracy compares with Barnes' stuff.

I also ordered a complete set of cleaning materials from KG Industries...I may have some fouling that's not visible to the naked eye.

Anyway, I'll report back in a week or two when I have some more meaningful data. Thanks again...

Posts: 58 | Location: Central CA, USA | Registered: 14 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7 Rem Sako finnbear. Shoots great with 145 grain Speer BT and 63.5 grains of Re19. col 3.30. Federal brass and cci mag prmer. That is a plenty good deer bullet. Have also had good luck with imr7828 and 160's. Those loads you are quoting are slow. To get the benefit out of the 7 mag, try different powders. Or, maybe your rifle has a slow barrel. Thorough cleaning might improve things, your groups as well.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...I have some new bullets:

- Barnes 160 grain Triple Shock
- Hornady 154 grain SST
- Hornady 154 grain InterBond

I can test all three, but...any votes on where I should begin? As for powder, I still have some IMR4381 and H4350, but I can go get some more if anyone wants to see me test something else.

I'm going to use the round-robin technique as explained on Dan Newberry's site, FWIW...

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
IMR4831 is a good choice for the 160 TSX, a better one might be RL22. RL22 will allow you to gain more velocity before pressure starts being an issue, but IMR4831 has always been a good performer for me.

A good OCW string might be IMR4831 starting at 61.9, 62.1, 62.4, 62.7, 63 and ending at 63.3 grains.

Nosler #5 manual lists Vihtvuori N165 as the "most accurate powder tested" but I refuse to use any powder that sounds French. Big Grin

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, woods...thanks for the reply. I've made a powder decision, and I decided to move this discussion over to Practical Riflery:

new discussion

I'm also posting a related question over there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, what have you done to the rifle as far as prep is concerned?
Also, when you begin looking for a combo that groups reasonably well, there's no need to be loading in increments of .2 and .3 grains of powder. Especially for something the size of a 7RM. .5 or even a full grain is good enough until you start to get some sort of good results. Then you can do the "tweeking" with the .2's and .3's and adjusting your bullet jump.
And fyi, I'd invest in a box of Rem Core Lokt bullets or even a box of Sierra bullets. That should tell you in a hurry if your rifle doesn't like Barnes bullets. If it doesn't, it won't be the first.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iwzbeeman:
First off, what have you done to the rifle as far as prep is concerned?

I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Gunsmithing? Cleaning? The mechanics of the rifle are stock.
quote:
Also, when you begin looking for a combo that groups reasonably well, there's no need to be loading in increments of .2 and .3 grains of powder. Especially for something the size of a 7RM. .5 or even a full grain is good enough until you start to get some sort of good results. Then you can do the "tweeking" with the .2's and .3's and adjusting your bullet jump.

Noted.
quote:
And fyi, I'd invest in a box of Rem Core Lokt bullets or even a box of Sierra bullets. That should tell you in a hurry if your rifle doesn't like Barnes bullets. If it doesn't, it won't be the first.

Thanks for the suggestion. As I've indicated in the Practical Riflery post I mentioned above, I'm now testing with Hornady bullets. If I can't get these to work, I'll look into one of your recommendations. Right now, though, I'm more inclined to believe I'm still not doing everything I can than, rather than blame a manufacturer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be preaching to the choir but with a new rifle, the first thing should be to take it apart and check for errant wood chips and such that may be applying contrary pressure on the action or barrel. Make sure the barrel channel in the stock is straight and not putting pressure on one side or the other of the barrel. Make sure all action screws and scope mounting screws are snug. A bit of lock tite on the scope mounting screws ain't gonna hurt nothing. If the barrel is supposed to be free floating, make sure it is. You should be able to slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock from the stock tip to the action.
If its a Remington, try this: Make some washers from biz cards or matchbook covers and put a couple of them on the actions screws between the stock and the action. You are in effect, free floating the barrel. Shoot some groups with the rifle like this. Clean the barrel and try some groups with the rifle as it came from the box. (same powder, bullet, etc) Finally, put a card shim between the barrel and the stock at the pressure point that's about 2 inches from the front of the stock. And try your groups like that. One of these should shoot better than the others. If free floating is the answer, then sanding out the little place in the barrel channel is no problem.
If, with other bullets, the rifle continues to spray them, I would see a smith about a possible recrowning.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote