Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best software for logging reload info?
 Login/Join

posted
So right now I log everything I do when I reload on pad and paper, which I’m sure most do, but I want to be able to transfer my log book on to my computer so I can attach photos of my targets and group sizes from the range. Do y’all have any suggestions for a good computer program that will allow me to log comprehensive details of my reloads, plus being able to attach photos and notes?

Be safe, smart, and have FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in this thread. I’ve tried Excel with imbedded photos, but I’m no computer geek.

Hope you get some positive feedback.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few apps on iTunes that claim to do this.

You might wish to look at them.

May be this?

Do a search, there are quite a few.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’ll check them out. I just started looking at Reloaders Studio, anyone have any thoughts on this one? It looks promising.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can certainly use Excel. You can search it effectively and I once did use Excel. But I couldn't get past worrying about whether or not I might have made typos that prevented me from finding loads I might want to retrieve. Now I use Filemaker Pro.

The reason I do is it makes searching really, really easy. I'm NOT a computer jock by any stretch of the imagination, but I got a useable version up and running pretty quickly and over the years modified it to my current whim.

Why Filemaker over Excel? Because I can create drop-down menus for any field I want to. What that means is that when I enter a data field, I see a list of choices for that field (a "value list"). I several data fields, each with its own drop-down menu, for firearms, bullet manufacturer, powder, charge, brass, primer, COL, etc. (I enter some data by hand, like bullet weight.)

For example, for the field "Propellant" I'll see a list of all the powders I have, organized the way I want them (by manufacturer) and within that by powder identifier (H-4895). I merely scroll down until I find the propellant I'm interested in and click on it. Bingo. That "value" appears in the field.

If I've shot two 5 shot groups with the same rifle/load combination on the same day, I can simply duplicate one record and change group size (or number of shots if I want).

For searching, this system is a big deal for me because worrying about typos and whether or not I've retrieved all the info I want are a thing of the past because I've eliminated much of the typing - I select an already listed "value" (or a combination of values). So I'll never enter H4895 for one load, H-4895 for a second or H 4895 for a third. I have enormous flexibility combined with simplicity.

The "value lists" for each field are easily modified, so you can add, change or delete entries.

Of course, I have various fields for group size, distance shot and MOA calculations, plus date shot.

It does take a little time to get into FMP, but not IMO an exorbitant amount.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That actually sounds like a good program. The level of customization you’re explaining is awesome. Plus that’s one of my things too, sometimes I’ll put a dash in things and sometimes not, so eliminating that worry when searching back through load data is great. I appreciate your input and will look into that program.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John.S:
That actually sounds like a good program. The level of customization you’re explaining is awesome. Plus that’s one of my things too, sometimes I’ll put a dash in things and sometimes not, so eliminating that worry when searching back through load data is great. I appreciate your input and will look into that program.
If you decide to go that route, I'd be happy to send you a template with my value lists already in it. It'd be an example for you and you could delete, add to or change any of those lists you wanted to. That's very easy to do.

I almost forgot. You can scan your groups and drag them into a "container" field. So you can see a picture of your target along with all the load data.

It's not too hard to look at, but the lack of professionalism in its appearance will be hard to miss. But it serves its purpose.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah if you could send me that, I would appreciate it. I’m by no means a tech guru so having a preset template would be a big help. My email is: mr.shoja86@gmail.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John.S:
Yeah if you could send me that, I would appreciate it. I’m by no means a tech guru so having a preset template would be a big help. My email is: mr.shoja86@gmail.com
Sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used Excel. Over the years I have come up with a standard format for rifle, pistol, and shotgun. What worries me about 3rd party software is compatibility. Companies go out of business or don't keep up with the latest operating systems and you can end up with files that can't be updated. Whatever you use, remember to back up your files! A crash can really hurt if you don't. I try to keep a paler log book with the basics, just in case.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What worries me about 3rd party software is compatibility. Companies go out of business or don't keep up with the latest operating systems and you can end up with files that can't be updated.
Yes. That's a huge concern to me too.

In my opinion, FMP is very well established and very well supported (it's latest version is FMP 17 Advanced). You can get earlier versions like FMP 14 for roughly $150 (or less). It's easy to import and export files to, say, Excel.

I use it as a flat-file DB because it does everything I need done. It is really a fully functional relational DB capable of handling millions of records, if that's your cup of tea.

FMP is not going away soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer hard ware pencil and paper.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

X2, Has worked perfect for the last 40 years! dancing

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

X2, Has worked perfect for the last 40 years! dancing

We use the MTM printed tables.

Worked for us for so many years.

As the data got more and more, I had to have separate folders for different calibers!

Posts: 66763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly support anyone who want's to keep paper records of their loading data.

I keep written records too. They are my primary data. I also index them to my electronic data by number.

But . . . keeping multiple paper files is a royal pain in the butt when it comes to searching. IMO.

And I wonder, without putting too fine a point on it, how many of those using paper exclusively actually tried a well set up data base, be it Excel, FMP or other.

It would take me a great many minutes to go through all my written/paper records to find and compare a variety of loads. I can search my electronic data in mere seconds.

I'm not saying my way is better for everyone. I'm saying I can make a powerful argument in favor of electronic records on the basis of search alone. (It's like internet search engines, only customized to your own particular whim and needs.)

Again, I strongly support anyone who wishes to use the written/paper method exclusively. All power too you!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
I strongly support anyone who want's to keep paper records of their loading data.

I keep written records too. They are my primary data. I also index them to my electronic data by number.

But . . . keeping multiple paper files is a royal pain in the butt when it comes to searching. IMO.

And I wonder, without putting too fine a point on it, how many of those using paper exclusively actually tried a well set up data base, be it Excel, FMP or other.

It would take me a great many minutes to go through all my written/paper records to find and compare a variety of loads. I can search my electronic data in mere seconds.

I'm not saying my way is better for everyone. I'm saying I can make a powerful argument in favor of electronic records on the basis of search alone. (It's like internet search engines, only customized to your own particular whim and needs.)

Again, I strongly support anyone who wishes to use the written/paper method exclusively. All power too you!

Actually, it is not that difficult at all.

I use the MTM large folders with their paper tables.

I have one for 17-22 caliber, one for 24 caliber, one for 25-28 caliber, one for 30 caliber and one for 338 to 700 caliber.

Inside each, they are organized from smallest to largest.

Nothing to it really, very simple.

I write the data with the paper out, then just slot it in the right place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Excel to keep all my shotshell loading data. I can consolidate data fromm various manuals and other source, add attributions, photos, and append notes. Excel also allows sorting data according to recorded parameters. I can sort by primer type, wad type, powder, hull type, velocity, source, and shot load.

My rifle data is in loose leaf notebooks, which allow me to keep three hole punched targets and add notes to the data. Someday I may put this data into Excel, also, but it would require me to scan all the targets and attach them to the spreadsheet as JPEG or PDF files. I use my own standard targets that are 8.5" X 11" to make them easy to organize. I also create a crack and peel label with the load data WHEN I ACTUALLY LOAD THE TEST ROUNDS, attach it to the test rounds with a rubber band and affix it to the target when I shoot each test group. I keep a binder for each rifle. I get by with this approach.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also create a crack and peel label with the load data WHEN I ACTUALLY LOAD THE TEST ROUNDS, attach it to the test rounds with a rubber band and affix it to the target when I shoot each test group. I keep a binder for each rifle. I get by with this approach.
Thanks. That's a good idea I can use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, it sounds like your files do exactly what you want them too.

The challenge I face is that I like to search through more than just loads for a given caliber.

For example, there are times I want to know which calibers I’ve loaded with, say, IMR 4320, which of those shot well and which did not. It took me 25 seconds to recover 19 records from well over 900, which included 4 calibers: .270, 6mm Rem, .225 Win and .243 Win.

Or, using a 65 grain VMax bullet in my .243, which combination of other components proved the most accurate? In 35 seconds, I recovered 21 records that included 6 powders (50 grains of Superformance looks the best).

I find as I search I come up with new questions, some of which I can answer through more searching, some of which I can only answer by creating and testing a new load.

For me, electronic records work best. beer

Administrator
posted Hide Post
True that electronic records work best.

But, I am too lazy to start converting all my records to electronic.

I got this paper set working very well for my system.

As I have a new rifle to work with, I get a sheet of tables, print a stick on label with the rifle make, model, caliber, barrel length and serial number.

Stick this on top of the sheet, and enter the loads as I shoot them.

It actually works very well because we shoot in our indoor range.

I load whatever combination I want, and shoot it.

Based on teh results, I load the next load and so on.

They get entered.

That is it.

posted Hide Post
I will have to say, after trying out a few different programs, I said forget it. I’ve got my paper notes, I just ended up modifying my filing system. Thanks for everyone’s input, it was a big help. Maybe one day I’ll shrug off the laziness and electronically file my load data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, John.S, I've got my paper files.
Never even dreamed of switching all that into digital!
Glad to hear from someone who tried and decided not too.

I use 3-ring binders and dividers by caliber for the minor chamberings.
The MAJOR chamberings and pet wildcats get their own, specific volumes, with Oxford binders and sheet protectors.
And lots of bookshelves.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a shoebox, Kleenex box, whatever and if I don't lose it, I transfer that information to a notebook in my shop at some point. sorry if I offend..However my Notebook is full of Brownells pages for such informations, and I do have extensive files, so many that some are up to date and some are ages old, the guns are gone, and Im afraid to dispose of some of it for some reason unbeknown to me, Could it be hording?? maybe I need another shrink. Roll Eyes It also comes to mind,at my age, what the hell do I need records for in the first place?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote