New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift A Frame
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings fellow forum members.
First post here even though I joined the site 11 years ago totally got lost in life and forgot about this place bad on me.
So I am hoping I am not too upstart on asking for some loading experience with Swift A Frame bullets in 7mm. I just received some from a friend in a trade and would like to load them in my standard 280 Rem to try them out as I have never heard anything bad about their performance on game. They will be used for elk and moose when carrying my 280. My rifle does have a pretty quick barrel and has shot everything I have ever put through it well. I have all the usual suspects in powder from the fasted to the slowest and normally use 7828 for 160-175 weight bullets but I also have others. These bullets are a bit tuff to find here so hopefully I can find an accurate load without running out of bullets ( I have 60). None of my friends have the swift loading manual and I looked on line a bit and could not find any data perhaps I am not looking in the right places.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to start out with this bullet that would be great.

Thanks in advance guys

Steve

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Barnes results works for me -- long shank bullet. In other words, if you have your own data for this rifle using Barnes bullets, go with that. My .280 likes 140-grainers and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws worked passably well with IMR 4350. For 160-grainers, my 7x64 likes H 4831SC better. (As you may know it's a twin to the .280, mostly. My two rifles shoot all loads interchangeably although brass is NOT interchangeable.) Settled on 56 grains IMR 7828 with 175-grainers so that may be a good starting point with 160-grainers. You didn't say what weight these precious bullets are...

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Found a box of .280 Remington 175-grain TBBC's I've kept. 56-grains IMR 7828 SSC with CCI 200's and it ought to be the same for A-Frames. Work up but I don't push envelopes, FWIW.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry yes they are 160 grain and I use cci-200's a lot. I will give the 7828 a try as it is what I have been using with 160 AB's and 175 interlocks with excellent accuracy and velocity. I use H-4831 with 140 grain bullets excellent results but not with the heavy bullets. These A Frames look like they have a pretty thick jacket and lots of bearing surface. I don't I will have any problems getting accurate loads just wanting to be sure I can get enough velocity to make them perform properly at normal ranges.

Thanks for the info

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swift A-frame is, IMO, the best cup and core bullet ever made. They load the same as all other C&C bullets I have ever loaded, such as the Hornady Interlock, Speer BTSP, or Remington Corlokt in my experience.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while not in 7mm i've used a frames in 9.3, 416, 375 and 470. they aren't the most accurate bullet in the world but who cares. they are made much like a nosler partition except the cores and bonded so rather than fragmenting, they stay together. very deep penetration for an expanding bullet. not so much for deer sized animals but they sure did a job for me on buff, moose lion etc.

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys I will start a work up with 7828 my rifle likes 57 under 160 ab's so I will start at 54 and work up till I find the max back off a bit and get it shooting as tight as the rifle will do. I am thinking I should be able to get 2700 fps pretty easy which will work just fine for me as any shots at elk and moose with this 280 would be inside 300 yards and probably 200 or so max.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift #1 loading manual shows a starting load of 49.8 gr, 2430 fps; max of 53.5 gr, 2700 fps with 7828.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:
Swift #1 loading manual shows a starting load of 49.8 gr, 2430 fps; max of 53.5 gr, 2700 fps with 7828.

They and SPEER are very cautious -- semi-auto and pump action .280's cannot handle bolt gun pressures.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:

They and SPEER are very cautious -- semi-auto and pump action .280's cannot handle bolt gun pressures.

In total agreement on that! I have brass here that has been shot 20 times with proper trimming and annealing when required and they lasted with the 57 grain load and 160 AB's at 2860 fps on average. A bit of a shame that the 280 was loaded so low from the start for the pumps and semi's had it have been loaded the same as the 270 it would probably be much more popular than it is. Actually I sold my 30-06's (I know blasphemy)as the 280 does the job just about the same with the right bullets and if I need more I have a 300WM so my poor old 06's just sat in the safe not getting used. Close enough to the 270 and the 30-06 when you hand load that I can't see enough of a difference to own either now days. I have killed a ton of deer with mine and handful of moose and elk and a couple of Black bears one 6'-6" and one 6'8"

Once again thanks for the info and conversation guys

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick and dirty method is to go up one grain at a time, one shell at a time. Say you decided to try 7828. Find your length to lands, and set for .030 off. Swifts are sticky and like a little jump.

The Nosler manual has starting loads for 160 at 50.5 and Max at 55.5. I'd load one each at 51, 52 and so on to 57. Do them in new brass. Write the charge of each cartridge on the case with a Sharpie. Next shoot them over a chronograph, in order at the same target at 100. Watch the impacts as you go, speeds and pressure signs. Lets say it starts seeming warmish at 55, and you get an ejector mark at 57.Obviously 57 is too hot, so backing off a full two grains is warranted. For that barrel, brass and bullet 55 is a practical working maximum. With any luck at all 54 and 56 hit reasonably close to it. Assuming that the velocity is somewhere in the ballpark, adjust your scope and go home and load 9 at 55 grains. Take those nine and shoot them at 300 and see what you get. Either you have a load or you don't. You can fine tune your sightin at the same time. If the speed wasn't there on the initial series you are also free to quit and start over with a different powder.

When you are working with a limited supply of premium hunting bullets its important to set realistic goals. A maximum but safe load with realistic hunting accuracy and a sighted in gun in 16 shots is realistic. If you wanted target accuracy you probably should have started with a different bullet. If you were willing to shoot squib loads is eek out a bit of accuracy you probably wouldn't be interested in the A-Frames in the first place.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
A quick and dirty method is to go up one grain at a time, one shell at a time. Say you decided to try 7828. Find your length to lands, and set for .030 off. Swifts are sticky and like a little jump.

The Nosler manual has starting loads for 160 at 50.5 and Max at 55.5. I'd load one each at 51, 52 and so on to 57. Do them in new brass. Write the charge of each cartridge on the case with a Sharpie. Next shoot them over a chronograph, in order at the same target at 100. Watch the impacts as you go, speeds and pressure signs. Lets say it starts seeming warmish at 55, and you get an ejector mark at 57.Obviously 57 is too hot, so backing off a full two grains is warranted. For that barrel, brass and bullet 55 is a practical working maximum. With any luck at all 54 and 56 hit reasonably close to it. Assuming that the velocity is somewhere in the ballpark, adjust your scope and go home and load 9 at 55 grains. Take those nine and shoot them at 300 and see what you get. Either you have a load or you don't. You can fine tune your sightin at the same time. If the speed wasn't there on the initial series you are also free to quit and start over with a different powder.

When you are working with a limited supply of premium hunting bullets its important to set realistic goals. A maximum but safe load with realistic hunting accuracy and a sighted in gun in 16 shots is realistic. If you wanted target accuracy you probably should have started with a different bullet. If you were willing to shoot squib loads is eek out a bit of accuracy you probably wouldn't be interested in the A-Frames in the first place.

Thanks D Leg good to hear about the sticky quality of the A frame. What you outlined is what I normally do for charge weights but I would load 3 and shoot 3 over the chrono watching for group size which would waste more bullets in this instance. If I could get 3 in 1-1/2" at a 100 that would fine with me as it would be suitable out to 300 yards or so for moose and elk sized targets if I can get 1" groups I would do the happy dance without question. Once time permits and I can get to this I will post my results.

Thanks again

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had great luck with A frames on big animals like Eland, buffalo, elk or moose..The more or less ball up in expansion with a swell behind the expansion every time..The problem on lighter animals is the wings don't spread out and act like a buzz saw or fan so they don't always kill fast and the animals tend to run a good ways and sometimes blood trails are scarce. I ask Swift about this and they replied that was the reason the developed the Sirrocco, and that's makes since to me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote