THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need a starting point for. 452 360 grain won cast in a 45 colt...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a starting point for. 452 360 grain won cast in a 45 colt...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I have looked around various sights for loading up these heavy bullets in the 45 redhawk and haven't found much.
I think someone here might have played with them at one point and might steer me in the right direction. I would be interested in using them in my 450 bushmaster also if anyone has data for that, it's a ruger American bolt action so it will digest somewhat heavier loads than an ar platform.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
40 grains, 3fg powder. Back when gunpowder was only one thing.
For heavy bullet loads in the 450, contact Thebackforty, here on AR. He has done a lot of such things and has killed many bears with them. Speaking of 450 bolt actions, I have built 7 of them in the past year; I want to try heavy bullets but no time. I'll post a picture of them on the gunsmithing page.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not certain of a load for the 45LC with a 360, but what I found shooting 335 grain cast bullets from my 45 Vaquero was that using 45LC brass the bullets would jump crimp. I started using 454Casull brass cut down to 45 case length. I ended up with an accurate load using 23.5 grains of H110 for a velocity of 1190 ft/sec. The hardest element of finding a good shooting load was the small rifle primer that would work, and settled on Magtech small rifle primer #7 1/2. I didn't find any load data and don't know if it even exists, but flew by the "seat of my pants". Good luck

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
40 grains, 3fg powder. Back when gunpowder was only one thing….

Sadly, I doubt that 40 grains of holy black will fit under a 360-grain bullet. But a nice sentiment nonetheless.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried any that heavy.

I shoot a 7 1/2" Blackhawk with
Hogue rubber grips.

I load 20gr H110 for 320's.
Good stout enough load for me.
I tried 25 gr and too much twist.
Recoil would be tolerable if not
for the twisting. Don't take many
to hurt my wrist. When I go, I like
to shoot a couple hundred, sometimes
more in a couple hours. I can handle
20gr fine as it don't twist.

Start about there and adjust to how
you feel is right. Be safe, then have fun.
A chronograph is your friend.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
George
That's about where I was going to start. Currently the load will 300 jacketed bullets and 310 grain cast is 24.0 grains of H110 and it is a definite thumper that has a bit of recoil but nothing truly punishing. If I had to have anything more powerful I would probably get a 454 .
I just happened upon these from a member here and thought I would give them a try.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some old LBT 360 grain hard cast bullets. Enclosed in the box is this starting load data.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Live oak
Thanks that's about where I planned to start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate's new No. 11 FS powder shows 17.9 gr. to start, and 21.1 gr. as max at 29.7 kpsi with the CP 360 WFNGC at 1.67" OAL. Max velocity is 1231 fps.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with that power and probably won't see it anytime soon with the current affairs.
I have titegroup, unique and bullseye but probably won't use them but I do have H110 and Imr 4227 that I will try but haven't found anything listing the 4227.
And that bullet you listed is the exact one I have to play with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon's RDC has the load for H110 and 4227 (other than lot to lot differences, IMR4227 and H4227 are the same).

https://shop.hodgdon.com/reloading-data-center