New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annealing /fireforming new brass ?338/378
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some 338/378 brass at the right price new ,to fireform to 378 ,should I anneal it first, then fireform ? or Anneal before and after ?
Some years ago I got some very old 378 brass and the necks split around the neck ,to the point a lot of the necks came completely off and exited the barrel.
I would like to try to get the best life I can out of this brass as its getting more expensive and harder to get ,
cheers thanks for any tips

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would neck the brass up in 2 steps. From 338 to 358 in step 1 and 358 to 375 in step 2..Lube the inside of the case necks before expanding. I would then anneal load and fire.Treat them like any other 1-fired brass from there.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The change is not that great, I think one pass should work.

Plenty of lube, and SLOWLY!

I neck up 223 brass to 308 in one pass.

I haven’t lost ant cases, though others here seem to crack the neck sometimes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I had to read it correctly (I think)

You have 338.378 brass and want to neck it UP.

Ya, I'd anneal first.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will add another comment. Had a friend necking up 300 Wby cases to 340. He started by annealing the first box of brass and had the radius shoulder collapse when necking them up.Lost 4 or 5 cases out of 20. Yes he lubed the necks. He asked for my advice and I suggested we try another box and lube the cases neck up then anneal. He never lost a case with that method . You guess which method he uses now

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info ,i was using cream of wheat to fireform them, and wondered should i anneal before or after doing that

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From 338/378 WBY to 378 WBY

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robertcat:
Thanks for the info ,i was using cream of wheat to fireform them, and wondered should i anneal before or after doing that

We never use cream of wheat.

We use bullets seated into the rifling.

Cases form perfectly.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a bunch of fast powder and seal neck with wax.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote