New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding and baiting Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Wisconsin DNR wants to eliminate the baiting and feeding of Deer.They claim it promotes the spread of CWD.At a Conservation meeting I attended they said the NEW STUDIES indicated the CWD was spread from Saliva and possibly Urine.When I asked to see THE STUDIES ,they could not produce them.Please take time to do this Survey.

Question:
My questions are does your State or Province have legal Deer Baiting?????Please let me know where you are from.

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
Does your State or Province allow the Feeding of Deer for Non Hunting Activities?? Location Please

Choices:
Yes
No

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
Feeding is legal most of the year here in KY. But just last year they started limiting it to certain months, citing the spread of disease as the reason.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I am not 100% certain in Arizona. But I cannot recall any rules prohibiting the activity. bewildered

To answer your question with some authority you need to find a master baiter. Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I live in minnesota,where baiting is not allowed.However,when I tried to vote in your poll,it said I had already voted. Confused
Typically deer are only fed in winter when they are very short of food.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maryland. We can bait, and the bunny huggers can feed them too.

I think I see where you're going. It would be completely hypocritical to ban baiting while not banning feeding, imo.

I hunt most often on a farm whith either corn or soybeans depending on rotation. If the neighbors are in corn and we're in soybeans, we won't see many deer unless we bait. And not long after the soybeans are in there will be NO deer, except those transitting.

Even when we're in corn, we see more deer with corn feed/bait.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Texas allows both. So I guess the WDNR is going to ban the assembly of deer for feeding too? What the heck do they think happens in areas of natural feed? Next they'll be banning deer reproduction because the exchange of bodily fluids is too dangerous for the animals, lol. Probably use bailout funds for a free condom program for deer.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohio allows both.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arkansas allows both. But it is not allowed after Jan. 31 until sometime after spring turkey season is over. This is to keep folks from hunting turkey over bait where they are quite vulnerable. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
What Merganser said... and another exception to the rule is public land like WMAs and national forest.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ontario Canada allows both.The Ministry has made noises about stopping winter feeding. Some A/hole from the city who has never been in the bush comes up with these ideas. When the fawns are pushing snow if they don't get suplemental feed they and the big old bucks don't make it.

one of us

Posts: 17 | Location: Northern Ontario Canada | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am from Texas, but don't agree with tiggertate's assessment of the situation.

Feeding/baiting deerr whether for hunting purposes or viewing purposes, concentrates deer in small areas in un-natural numbers.

Whether it is saliva/sex/snot, does not make any difference, except in locations where snow gets deep enough for deer to yard up, and I damn sure ain't never seen that happen in Texas, getting a lot of deer concentrated in one small area is not good for the herd.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta, Canada.
You can't bait to hunt but you can use bait to take photos or feed all winter.

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whether it is saliva/sex/snot, does not make any difference, except in locations where snow gets deep enough for deer to yard up, and I damn sure ain't never seen that happen in Texas, getting a lot of deer concentrated in one small area is not good for the herd.

I am not sure I agree... there are places in this country where it gets cold enough that the only way deer survive is to "yard up" and share the body heat they all contribute. Deer by themselves freeze to death, while deer in "yards" seem to somehow survive.

But I will agree that doesn't happen in TX...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Louisiana allows both.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One old hunters two cents.

1. I have 1000s of Antelope travel through my pastures to feed and water every year to feed and water while migrating. Could pot one off my front porch any day or night for 60 days.

2. I drive 50 to 100 miles to legally hunt them on public land.

No. 1 is a meat hunter that may need the meat to feed his family (justified) OR just a slob who is too lazy to really follow hunting ethics.

No. 2 is the way an ethical hunter hunts.

If you can't spot, stalk, use wind and topography to kill your animal you are not a hunter ...... just a target shooter using live game rather then paper or gongs.

The only game you can bait in WY is black bears. Killing a bear over a well set up, faithfully manned & managed bait is about as hard as knocking down tin cans at 50 feet with a 22RF off a bench rest.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you can't spot, stalk, use wind and topography to kill your animal you are not a hunter ...... just a target shooter using live game rather then paper or gongs.The only game you can bait in WY is black bears. Killing a bear over a well set up, faithfully manned & managed bait is about as hard as knocking down tin cans at 50 feet with a 22RF off a bench rest.

The only problem with your statement, is that conditions are not just exactly the same nationwide. Some states have reasonable amounts of Public Land, where hunting as you interpret it, can be done.

Other states do not have a lot of Public Land and the majority of "Hunting" is done on Private Lands of varying sizes. In Texas, hunting methods on Private Property are dictated by the land owners. Bag limits/hunting hours and equipment used are dictated by the state, but the actual manner of hunting is controlled by the Land Owner.

The thing that needs to be remembered, is that we all have to buy hunting licenses/pay for transportation to and from where we are hunting/pay for the equipment we use/pay for food-beverages-lodging when going to-from our hunts or for supplies to maintain a camp, amnd in the end, all of us are shooters, nothing more.

Making derogatory comments about how others have to participate in the sport or their abilities because of how they have to do things, is just further evidence that hunters simply can not put aside the minutiae, and stand united against the folks wanting to take hunting from us.

Those folks do not care how we do what we do, they want it all stopped, PERIOD!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x7royal:

1. I have 1000s of Antelope travel through my pastures to feed and water every year to feed and water while migrating. Could pot one off my front porch any day or night for 60 days.

2. I drive 50 to 100 miles to legally hunt them on public land.

No. 1 is a meat hunter that may need the meat to feed his family (justified) OR just a slob who is too lazy to really follow hunting ethics.

No. 2 is the way an ethical hunter hunts.

If you can't spot, stalk, use wind and topography to kill your animal you are not a hunter ...... just a target shooter using live game rather then paper or gongs.

The only game you can bait in WY is black bears. Killing a bear over a well set up, faithfully manned & managed bait is about as hard as knocking down tin cans at 50 feet with a 22RF off a bench rest.

donttroll

Troll alert!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Georgia does--and doesn't--allow baiting.

We are divided into the Northern and Southern Zones.

Last year, after considerable input from the public, and a lot of political maneuvering, baiting was made legal--in the Southern Zone.

We in the Northern Zone are still prohibited from baiting.

Interestingly, when hunter input was requested, there were some deeply divided opinions on baiting.

We are seeing a decline in deer in Georgia, so this year doe days have been cut back.

Coyotes are also being blamed for deer population declines.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1541 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Northern Wisconsin for a number of years and if you did not bait you might as well go fishing as everyone does and once season opens the deer move to that area of favored food. unfortunately most of the activity occurs after or before legal hours.

I since bought my own property in southern Illinois and baiting is illegal any time of the year. When crops are up deer movement is minimal but once harvested and once the rut starts it is very easy to get action. I have seen, missed and killed larger deer in a few years than I have seen in 25 years up north. Inside the woods deer move all day long and migrate to the harvested field at the end and beginning of the day. Baiting may have some up side for starving deer during deep snow or cold but where I now hunt none of that exist. I personally do not miss baiting and the way I now hunt is more sporting.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are not allowed to bait or feed any game animals in New York State.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kansas allows both. Missouri you can feed but it must be totally gone 10 days before the hunting season and real minerals are not considered bait, just anything food or containing food, like apple flavored mineral blocks.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Kansas allows both. Missouri you can feed but it must be totally gone 10 days before the hunting season and real minerals are not considered bait, just anything food or containing food, like apple flavored mineral blocks.

Larry, that is interesting. Is salt considered a real mineral in Kansas? I can think of nothing in the world more effective as an attractant than a block of salt.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually make a "lick" by simply pouring about a 1/2 bag (50 pounds) of what the local feed store calls "mixing salt" (slightly larger grains) with some cheap nutrient lick, at about a 3-1 salt/lick ratio.
Works great for hogs, even more so than deer.

Just pick a spot and pour it on the ground. Before long, you'll have a hole to pour it in.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x7royal:

For now. Every year I see more antelope-proof fences around hayfields, and almost no antelope around Farson any more.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Washington currently bans Baiting for Deer. It was Legal?

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baiting is allowed in South Carolina. Like GA we are facing a decline being blamed on coyotes.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am from Minnesota. As has been stated, Minnesota does not allow deer baiting. And while I do not really care to hunt over bait for deer I don't really see the logic in it. Its ok to hunter over a corn field, or a bean field, or a pumpkin field, or a radish field, or a clover field, or really any planted crops.
I don't see a real lot of difference between standing corn or corn being placed on the ground.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/...isease/#.WuUwnmdK2Uk

The above link is to an article about the prions that cause CWD binding to plants. It was already know they can bind to some types of soils and remain viable for many years. The prions are transmitted to the plants and soil from urine, feces, or blood from an infected animal, where they can remain active and later be transmitted to another animal.

The reason there are proposals to ban deer feeding is that it concentrates the animals and makes transmission more likely. Besides ingesting prions by eating the plants, there is also a theory that the residue from dried urine can be inhaled and infect other animals. The high incidence of CWD associated with captive deer areas supports these theories. The only way we will know if banning feeding will help stop the spread of CWD is to try it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting, and if in fact you see yourself as Dan Boone, and have all those imagined skills of hunt and stalk, tracking, etc etc and your ego tells you your the worlds champ, you are in fact a dumb ass lucky SOB that stumbled onto a trophy and got in a lucky shot..at least in the real world. I actually have all those skills due to my being raised on a big texas cattle ranch, and killed some big bucks and other game, thinking back, little or no skill was involved in 90% at least!! hilbily jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote