Find
Notify
Tools

Chufa should I plant some
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I have some very small pastures that I plan to let go fallow.

Those and some open patches in the woods might make some nice Chufa patches.

Will the turkeys and feral hogs wipe it out faster than I can grow it?

Suggestions?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
First off, what is the purpose of you planting chufa? I assume for turkeys, and which case there are a number of reasons not to. 1)Chufa is an invasive exotic plant that will outcompete and possibly spread creating an ecological concern. 2)Yes the feral hogs will destroy it. 3) It is rather expensive to plant 4)By letting your pastures go fallow, you allow natural native plants to grow. This cover often provides an excellent place for poults to feed on seeds and insects that abound in fallow fields. It gives the young ones cover and food, two of the most important things they need. I believe that if you want to help your turkeys, just let the fields go.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi TC, I can absolutely agree with my colleague from Alabama. The simple, natural solution is the best. Here in the UK we have huge problems with alien invasive plant species. In the past (from about 1750 onwards) game managers planted various exotics such as Rhododendron ponticum and cherry laurel to create cover for game birds. We now have to contend with these plants as they take over our woodlands and other native plant communities. But do we learn by it? Well of course not! That would make life too dull! So learn from our mistakes and keep your wonderfull Tennessee (have I got the location right?) woods free of nasty plants, but full of fat happy turkeys! Best of luck with your project.

Posts: 51 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd plant peanuts over chufa. Peanuts are cheaper and draw game as well or better. The foliage is what deer love more than the nuts and turkey love going thru it huntin bugs.

Niether is invasive, in fact the game will clean it all up. Soil prep is the key to getting it started. Do some research first to save wasted effort and expense.

Peanut fields around here are much preferred by all game, well over soybeans and/or corn.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
good point, peanuts would be great alternative to chufa, and deer will eat the leaves and the nuts if you disc them up. After planting peanuts where i hunt, we have killed some bucks in the 225-240lb range in Alabama

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freind of mine that I buy food plot seed from, suggested peanuts as a cheaper alternative to chufa, of course that is after I planted chufa the first year. Hogs will root peanuts up, deer and turkeys love peanuts. Cheaper than chufa , at least for me.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have old pine plantation in cumberland/morgan county and chufa gets wiped out by the hogs and squirrels. Some may reseed the second year and field prep is essential. Chufa mixed in with something else seems to last longer. Plant the chufa deeper and don't waste your money on an entire field.

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote