New
Find
Notify
Tools

Partridge Feed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We've got a place on the fringe of Hungarian partridge range in central Alberta. A pair of partridge have taken up residence in the yard. This is something we'd like to encourage, if only to give the dogs a local flock to train on. We are in wet period here and the snow pack has been thick. I think that the Huns could use some extra feed come winter. What would be a good choice that would also work for sharptails?

Dean?

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Seed wheat is good and next best is milo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. Our pup put up >20 Huns in front of the house about 2 weeks ago. That is more than we've seen in the area in the last 4 years combined.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Purina Game Bird. I used it on my red jungle fowl as well as qiant coturnix, and Butler bobwhite

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt grouse they seem to go for clover which grows on the logging roads plus any type of bushes that produce seeds

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote