Find
Notify
Tools

Need Bear Options
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Seems I have a problem. I have a small place, 35 acres, and very rural. I have lots of deer, turkey, etc. on the place.

A couple of years ago I had a black bear sow move in with her cubs at the back of the property. Only saw her and the cubs once on a game camers.

I hunt deer and turkey but not bear.

My problem appeared last night and tore up my grain bin, knocked over a bee hive and took a section of it with several frames of honey. I have never had one come in this close much less ever seen one on the property other than photos.

This afternoon the wife is beating on the back porch door and says we have a bear out back. The back yard has a six foot chain link fence. I grab a rifle as I think it has gotten in the back yard. I go out and it is sitting outside the fence, maybe 20 yards away, sunning itself. Looked to be about 300+ pounds. No cubs so my first guess is a boar I don't know for sure.

I am a little concerned for my family, livestock and domestic pets.

Thoughts on a course of action? I know what my knee jerk reaction is but I am hoping for cooler heads and still keeping the bear way from the house.

UPDATE: I now think the one I saw was one of the two year old cubs. I base this on the fact that about 30 minutes ago they trooped down the back fence and on down the wood line. Guess I have 3 bears. Catchy, might make a nice nursery story.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thoughts on a course of action?

A pair of Catahoula or Akbash or Komondor or Ridgeback? Eliminate the bears food source.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost all of a black bear's interests are about food ! A dog that barks a lot will help. Teach yourself and family not to panic at the sight of a bear. Don't get between sow and cubs. NEVER feed bears, remove food sources if you can.Bear spray ,loud whistles [Storm brand }

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Wait for bear season! Big Grin

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted the NC DNR? They usually have plans to cover nuisance bear problems. They usually trap and relocate. If that is no solution, open bear hunting to experienced bear hunters. I know a few in NC. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
get some rubber buckshot and make him regret meeting you, if they get familiar with no negatives coming their way they get braver which leads to unwanted surprises, personally I would do the 3 S's, life is to short

http://www.bearsmart.com/manag...rs/non-lethal/tools/

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
NC DNR was no help what so ever. Other than to make sure I understood that it was a felony to take a bear out of season and that at that time they would determine if the damage caused met the level necessary to kill the bear.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The DNR has no choice but to tell you that but in a defense shooting generally there is only one living witness, hopefully the human, bears make poor witness especially when they have no pulse. The bear came at me when I tried to run him off and I had no choice and stick to it
If you made the complaint and the DNR did nothing what else do they want you to do...move?, In the process of moving out the bear came at me and I had no choice.
I was barbecuing a prime steak and the bear tried to take it but it was my last steak and I was not going to share it , I had no choice
and so on and so on

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Your county bear season is Nov. 14, 2016 – Jan. 2, 2017 and baiting using unprocessed food is allowed. I would build a better fence to keep them out but let them have access to a little bait. You might be able to create a big bear by November.

I lived in next door Robeson County for six years and never saw a bear. I'd count myself lucky.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bear defence by a couple of great dogs works remarkably well

Rhodesian ridge backs are known in their homeland as lion dogs for good reasons - find a breeder and get some pups

Posts: 7 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 28 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
The DNR has no choice but to tell you that but in a defense shooting generally there is only one living witness, hopefully the human, bears make poor witness especially when they have no pulse. The bear came at me when I tried to run him off and I had no choice and stick to it
If you made the complaint and the DNR did nothing what else do they want you to do...move?, In the process of moving out the bear came at me and I had no choice.
I was barbecuing a prime steak and the bear tried to take it but it was my last steak and I was not going to share it , I had no choice
and so on and so on

That's an idea. Oh wait, I could never do something like that. Wink Wink Wink Wink

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a little concerned for my family, livestock and domestic pets.

Around here it would be dead already.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`m sorry sir but I was in fear for my life. That is all you have to say.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
They hate dogs for sure but you do not have much to worry about as long as you stay away from sow and cubs. You also do not want to get close to boars during the rut. When you live in the country having wildlife is what makes it fun and exciting.

It is almost impossible to have bee hives or young fruit trees in some parts of NC.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well I have lived with bears my whole life and I generally do not get to worked up about them. Where we live now our yard site is very close to a natural travel route for bears and we have a very high bear density. Bears in the yard was virtually a daily occurrence from May to mid October.

Generally not problem but they do cause trouble with the apple and pear trees and tore the screen door off my shop one time. For most people the solution is always to do the three SSS's. I took the other approach and that was to basically bear proof the yard with an electric fence.

Bee keepers use hot wire around here and when I guided in the far north we used a hot wire around the skinning shack and occasionally around a lodge to keep the barren ground grizzlies at bay.

We put up a fence around the yard and then used page wire fencing on the inside. On the outside we strung two hot-wires, one about two feet off the ground and one even with the top of the page wire. Our fencer unit is kicking out about 18-19 Joules and will set you on your ass if you accidentally touch it.

End of bear problems. Also cut down on the amount of coyotes, lynx, deer and other critters that were in the yard at night. Except for the red fox that likes to crawl under the gate at the back and lick the grill brush hanging on the BBQ on the back deck.

I just don't believe in killing shit when there is a solution to the problem. I live in extremely good bear country and I believe it is my responsibility to do what I can to minimize the bear problems. They are after all just being bears.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an older thread, but...
Bears hate the smell of ammonia. Some sent drips around the yard with ammonia might keep them away. Not expensive to try is the biggest plus.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All else fails, buy a shovel and keep your mouth shut!! old Not a good idea btw..

Better yet put an electric fence around the bee hive etc..and shot him with rubber shot as suggested..He has found honey can't blam him for taking up residence..Id prefer the bear to the bees..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41761 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote