New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Clover for Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious. I've farmed off and on all my life. We always kept red clover hay and red clover pasture from breeding cattle and sheep, because it surpressed ovulation or conception, can't remember which off hand. I've never done the food plot thing. But is this a problem with deer on red clover food plots, particularly where there is limited other food sources, like in the piney woods areas?
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of any clover impacting deer in this fashion. May want to post this question here...QDMA forums

Posts: 4 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we've always found deer prefer the white clovers over red, the white stays less bitter as it gets bigger.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've always understood that the reds are not as palatable for deer.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you go talk to the local fish and game bioligist, they will know the correct answer to your local problems of feed adn whatever else..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote