Tools

sedation rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I am a veterinarian.

Looking to buy a darting rifle.

I want it to be able to handle deer sized loads all the way up to elephant sized loads.

Anybody got any recommendations?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the pneudart cartridge fired model. It will shoot very accurate to 50 yards. I can also shoot a 3-4 cc dart.

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STGS:
I have the pneudart cartridge fired model. It will shoot very accurate to 50 yards. I can also shoot a 3-4 cc dart.

Who makes that rifle?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
pneudart

I looked up on internet and see that is the brand name...thank you!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
I have used several over the years. Started with nail gun charges in the early 80's. The newer rifles using this technology have greatly improved. If you go this route you need to weigh each blank cartridge before use. Because they are used to drive nails the charges can change greatly. The older guns only used the different colors of blanks to differentiate. The newer ones have additional settings (setting the vent aperture) so you can really dial in what you want. You also have to watch where you hit the animal too. I've killed deer because I hit them in the chest when shooting for a front shoulder. Now all I aim for is the rump.

As a vet, you may be able to get by with a pneumatic pistol. They are easy to use at close range. Also, if you are using the small 1cc darts with charges in the dart, you can use an appropriate diameter copper tube as a blowgun. They work very well under 20 feet. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Brainard:
I have used several over the years. Started with nail gun charges in the early 80's. The newer rifles using this technology have greatly improved. If you go this route you need to weigh each blank cartridge before use. Because they are used to drive nails the charges can change greatly. The older guns only used the different colors of blanks to differentiate. The newer ones have additional settings (setting the vent aperture) so you can really dial in what you want. You also have to watch where you hit the animal too. I've killed deer because I hit them in the chest when shooting for a front shoulder. Now all I aim for is the rump.

As a vet, you may be able to get by with a pneumatic pistol. They are easy to use at close range. Also, if you are using the small 1cc darts with charges in the dart, you can use an appropriate diameter copper tube as a blowgun. They work very well under 20 feet. Jim

Wanting to use mainly for wild cattle, deer, and a rhino I work on.

Have you or others used the "gauged" rifles. I I like the Pneudart gauged rifles specs...but...pricey!

http://shop.pneudart.com/gauged-projectors/

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
I have not used that brand. I don't remember the name of the one we used, but ours used 22 cal nail-gun blanks as propellant and had several settings to adjust the power. That with weighed blanks (plus or minus 2 grains) made for consistent hits. We limited our shots to 18 to 20 feet and only shooting into the hind quarter. Even then, it is possible to do damage to the animal. Just remember that with wild ungulates you will need to give them sodium bicarbonate before you release them to help counter act the stress of capture. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, I've used older CO2 guns, newer Pneudart cartridge guns and the "gauged" guns from Pneudart. Last two yesterday.

The newer gauged guns are worth the money. More accurate . Easier, faster to change the power, important on moving animals.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at www.zoopharm.net for newer drugs, specifically their mix called BAM. It used Medatomidine(Domitor from Phizer).

I've used the 10mg/ml mix of straight Domitor for several years without any problems on whitetail deer. Way safer than using Rompum which can cause heart problems and death of the animal.

I have no experience with rhino... Big Grin

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in an "Old Reliable" Cap Chur rifle made by Palmer please send me a private message. That system is still one of the best despite the newer rifle designs.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
If you are interested in an "Old Reliable" Cap Chur rifle made by Palmer please send me a private message. That system is still one of the best despite the newer rifle designs.

PM sent

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife weights 110 lbs. How many CCs do I need? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have only had experience on one capture using darts and that was in capturing some Sable and transporting them in Zimbabwe. I was amazed at the lack of accuracy and range of the Dart gun (it was a powder actuated rifle of US manufacture)but amazed at the reaction of the Sable when hit. Took quite a few minutes for the Sable to drop where we could load them in the truck. But what was even more amazing was the speed with which the animal responded to the recovery drug. We entered the needle into the vein and almost immediately upon the injection the Sable was alert and ready to get up and do battle. I couldn't beleive the speed of recovery. I am super impressed with the efficiency of them. Sable horns scare me.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I darted a blackbuck several years ago. He lay down and we gave him several minutes before approaching him. I leaned down and grabbed both hornbases.....and he came immediately to life, leaping and twisting all around as I held on for dear life...trying NOT to be impaled. Finally backed him into the transport box and shut the door......

sorry no video Big Grin

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw one of these, at a recent presentation on large predator problems. Blank cartridge powered. Used by the local conservation officers on everything including Grizzly bears. They also have blowguns for the darts. Big Grin Guy told me they work well at respectable ranges.

http://shop.pneudart.com/cartr...red/model-389-rifle/

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Adams, that is the gun I have. Fairly fast on power settings and very accurate. I sighted mine in at 50 yards on setting 5 and shot three darts into one ragged hole.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend called me saying he had a mean bull, that had turned a couple of horses over, so called me knowing I had a dart gun..I took a few friends and we got in the brush to rope him and load him in the trailer and haul him to the sale barn..Well he tippe me and another guy over, and we got out just skint to hell, and the horses looked pretty spooked! Smiler

So decided on a dart, took the pickup to a dirt tank where he watered every morning and he showed about day light, I loaded up what I thought was about right for a big bull..and let him have it, he hit the dirt much fast than I expected, we waited awhile, then backed the trailer up to him. The guy that used to be my best friend looked at me and said you killed my bull you murdering SOB, I said yep! I helped him haul it to his dump and we went to the house to get a cup of coffee and he said Ray killed my bull, his wife said just as well and we started laughing, He said it ain't that funny and we laughed harder..but in the end he always loved to tell that story, He died a few years back, and I bet he is laughing as I confess this to the world,,,

Im probably not the one to give my expertise on dart guns, I traded it for a mod. 12 20 ga.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote