New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Bare Root Stock Supplier
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Jut want to give a thumbs up to a good supplier.
This past winter I ordered several varieties of bare root stock. I got wallnut, white oak, persimmon, chestnut, and hazelnut.
I bought from:
Cold Stream Farm
http://www.coldstreamfarm.net
(231) 464-5809
I planted 15 of each in 1-1/2 gallon plastic waste cans I got at the dollar store. Every one has leafed out.
I planted the rest (about 25 of each kind) in sandy loam and almost every one has leafed out.
These are all going to be replanted on my East Texas place next Fall.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man that plants hardwoods believes in the future! Good for you.
Hardwoods in are area are cut and then replaced with pine which creates a totally different environment.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are very lucky in Missouri where I have some acreage. The state offers various native hardwood trees, shrubs and bushes at about $.80 each every spring. Yes, you need to buy 10 minimum and they are to be planted in Missouri, but they have always been great stock. So far we have ordered Paw Paw, Black Cherry, Pecan, Elderberry, Blackberry, Witch Hazel and Choke Berry. They have all done well.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's mid summer and the temp has been past 100.
Just checked all my bare root trees (about 2 hundred), all but three are doing fine.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a couple of native pecan trees that were dropping lots of nuts.
I picked up about 300 and have them in the fridge, I will be planting them at my East Tx place beginning in mid February, 2019.

Bob Nisbet

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sure do favor a man who plants trees.
Larry, what species of elderberry are you planting? We have blue elderberry (Sambucus cerulea) here in the Sacramento Mountains, just as we did back on the West Coast. A popular landscape shrub/tree here in the desert is "Mexican Elder" Sambucus mexicana).

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And the Iowa state nursery sells all kinds of trees too, very cheaply; but the catch is that you must buy 500 at a time and they are not for household use. They can't be in the business of competing with commercial nurseries. They are for re planting fallow land.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two falls ago I gathered up a 5 gal pail of black walnuts. Hulled them and planted them about 4" deep in a 4' circle behind my shop. They sprouted last spring and I now have 100+ seedlings to dig and re-plant this spring. I plan on planting my 10 acres with a variety of cover trees as already there are 100+ apple trees scattered throughout (old pasture ground).

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote