New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professional Rabbit Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the UK, I guess it's possible to earn a living hunting rabbits, which in some areas are considered vermin. I found this video of a professional hunter to be fascinating.

The first 7 min 36 sec have to do with paperwork, ethics/safety/consideration and equipment.

From that point to 43 min 45 sec, he shows video of him head shooting rabbits during daylight. From there to 57:30, he head shoots at night.

The rest of the video shows how he processes his kills for the market.

I found this fascinating, and I hope you do to.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
Wasn't that long ago, about 15 or 20 years when we were doing this in Idaho because of the rabbit population...I shot a carton of 22s out my truck window at a haystack as did my partner in the passenger seat shooting out the other side, then we ran out of bullets, that was about 1000 rabbits I guess in about an hour..

Idaho made headlines Nation wide, the liberals went ballistic and local stores were selling little baseball bats and calling them bunny bumpers..The farmers herded rabbits into nets and then hit mr. bunny in the head with bats..We were all professional bunny hunters before that came to pass! BOOM

Today you don't see many rabbits in Idaho, but they say this happens ever 15 or so years?? but it has not happened since so who knows? Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was in the mid-80's Ray.
I was working on a Dairy farm during summers back then and would be out rolling hay bales and shooting rabbits with the ruger 22 most all night.

I still hear my buddy's grampa yelling at us 'fluffy side up dammit' and I seen that miss from his tractor half way across the pasture.
he would only buy our 22's if we hit a rabbit with it.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't wish the days of too many rabbits again, for the sake of the farmers, but I wish we had a few more to shoot.

I shot out a 222 Rem and a couple 22-250's in the 80's because of the fast and furious shooting.

Running jacks with a center fire rifle is the sport of kings and the best practice in the world if one wants to perfect his running game skills.

I miss those days,
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree the best shots on big game are those old boys who hunted Jack Rabbits on the run at 25 to 500 yards or more..It truly is the sport of kings..

I miss those days, I cut my teeth on iron sights, scopes and a cornucopia of calibers on running jacks..

today is walking up coyotes in the Owayhe behind my house, A days walk and maybe two shots, maybe half a dozen on a good day, but certainly not fast and furious like the rabbit days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote