THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Found out why the Swift is called the swift

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found out why the Swift is called the swift
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I have a bit of time on my hands (so to speak) I have been going through the safe working out which firearms are Keepers & which are to be replaced ! I came across a Long forgotten 220 swift in Ruger #1 & thought in a quiet & thoughtfull manner! Hello how did I forget you? I then took myselfon a small excurstion up to our Tip (rubbish dump) on our property & paced of a goodly 250mtrs.& sited her in! the next part of my very cheap entertianment was to obtain a Roo for dog meat.Making sure the offal was left right in full view! right on dawn the following morning I was rewarded with several Feral cats having the time of their lives (must of been like maner from heaven until the first 55gner's hit)It was like getting hit by lightning! I got 2 before they realised where & what was happening! Yep very ,very swift! mgun

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Yarn DOC, I am goin through a bit of a clean out of rifles my self, they will get replaced though Wink

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am goin through a bit of a clean out of rifles my self, they will get replaced though Wink

PC I know the feeling ! The Bride has put her foot down reguards to anything that isn't a working rifle (some thing to do with leaving me alone with my gundealer the other day whilst she went shopping & the fact I became the owner of a 357 blackhawk!Now he also has a 41mag blackhawk there that he did'nt show me until I'd signed on the dotted line for the 357) Well in the Old days it would of simplily selling one of the kids to a passing White Slave trader! But with family payment exctra She wont! she wont even consider let me sell one of the Little Dirt magnets for Parts! So I have to decide what is surplus to requirement (I do'nt really need two daughters I mean two swifts) horse

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DoK, don't know from personal experience but I've heard that the Swift is somewhat pedestrian until loaded with a max charge and 40 grain Ballistic Tips. I hear rumors of turbocharged lightning with that rig, crat parts scattered all over countryside. Too there is the CHeetah, based on the .308 Win case, said to get closer to 5 grand than 4 with the propper charge. Of course these are just rumors, but still, if you need something to reach across the time zones it might be worth it to do some trading...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.PartsIs.Parts

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you are enjoying finding the rifle and the krat splating.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Dano, what about the .20 PPC?

4500FPS and relatively "easy" on barrels... This with those nasty Berger Varmint bullets.. thumb

I keep thinking about building one, especially since the .204 came out and Hornandy is making .20 cal bullets... But money is tight and unemployment looming.... Frowner

HTRN

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DoK, don't know from personal experience but I've heard that the Swift is somewhat pedestrian until loaded with a max charge and 40 grain Ballistic Tips. I hear rumors of turbocharged lightning with that rig, crat parts scattered all over countryside. Too there is the CHeetah, based on the .308 Win case, said to get closer to 5 grand than 4 with the propper charge. Of course these are just rumors, but still, if you need something to reach across the time zones it might be worth it to do some trading...

Dan the swift Has always been a personal faverite of mine as opposed to the 22-250 ( I like to be differant )Your quite right when they reserected it as a factory round it was loaded way back from it's true potential!As they used to burn out barrels like crazey! The first cart that I ever tried along the lines of the swift was a 224 improved (which was a 22-303 with the shoulder formed from 60Degs to45 degs) It was built round a Pat 14 action (thank God as it turned out ) I brought it of another Roo shooter who claimed it would knock a Roo into next week at 400yrds (he was'nt kidding ) I shot a cat one night at what measured out to be 150 yrds it was Blown into 3 peices one of which was inside out ! Now It was just to much of a head ache forming brass so I sold it to a sporting hunter mate!
Of course he had to ask what ballistics did I use ? I explained that I was only ever given one load>so I rang the previous owner who assured me that it was similer to the swift! I passed this info on to the new owner! Who several days later rang & abused me ! as he had disreguarded all the laws of reloading & duplicated the load straight into his swift!He had used a hammer to get the Bolt of his swift open after 1 shot with the load from hell& to the best of my knowlage he never did find the primer!!!! Eeker
Of course since i had ben using this fire stick for some 6mths & countless hundreds of shots I contacted the Previous owner for a little more info on the "load" that he had given me! Now being a man of intellegence of slightly higher than a Moron his reply when I explained what had happened was "Shit!"He then explained that he'd had the rifle built & then just kept increasing the load until the Primers were backing out & then dropped it back by1/2 a grain ! (I must admit I thought it strange having to full lenght resize after 2 firings but put it down to poor head space !)Needless to say I went out & got a normal swift after that !

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you fellas want to shoot something fast then get a 30-378 Weatherby. It was first conceived to do some testing for the US goverment on maximum velocities for 30 caliber rounds. The pushed a 90 grain bullet over 5000 FPS. More recent folks have gotten over 6000 FPS. Most of the time the bullet vaporizes a few feet from the muzzle. This would mean that you would have to get close to a crat. This also means that you would probably get crat crap all over you. Might be worth it.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
If you fellas want to shoot something fast then get a 30-378 Weatherby. It was first conceived to do some testing for the US goverment on maximum velocities for 30 caliber rounds. The pushed a 90 grain bullet over 5000 FPS. More recent folks have gotten over 6000 FPS. Most of the time the bullet vaporizes a few feet from the muzzle. This would mean that you would have to get close to a crat. This also means that you would probably get crat crap all over you. Might be worth it.

OEH, what length barrel did they have to get that 6000 fps !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OEH, that's all true. It's what they mean by duplex load. First you tenderize 'em, then ya cook 'em with the belch of fire that quickly follows. A notorious 1-2 punch that is purrfect for porch pussy.

When used in urban areas it transcends calls to the authorities, as it instills primal fear with its report. Kinda like when God said "Noah!". It also knocks flakey paint from the soffit etc, a kindly helping hand for the home improvers. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Shock.Waves

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the swift is the swift is a swift and there ain't nuttin like it

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew a smith who built a 22Cheetah for a client of his. Man the report from that thing was RUDE!! I vaguely recall the velocity as being 46 or 4700 fps? derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
derf, that's about right for the CHeetah. It's a smoker for sure, but does unkind things to barrels. Frowner

Hey butch, you ever see the 16" guns from the Jersey or Mighty Mo go off on the other end? JMO, they make a bigger splash than the Swift. 'Course the Swift doesn't need a crew...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.TheoryOf.Relativity

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah dan - had a good friend who used to call them in. When they were done there was definately a pacified villa

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
you ever see the 16" guns from the Jersey or Mighty Mo go off on the other end

I have,,,but I gotta tell ya,,full length resizing issa bitch. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
A rather industrious fellow with a lot of time on his hands made a series of rounds based on the .50 bmg shell,,,,.30,,,.25,,,and .22,,,I saw some of the finished rounds,,but no performance reports,,,and never saw the actual rifles,,The shop has since went belly up,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have,,,but I gotta tell ya,,full length resizing issa bitch.

PT, You got me with that one dude! POTKB! jump

Clay, I'm guessing the reason they went belly up is that he had the time to do stuff like that. Wink

Toolmaker, think you'd be reinventing the wheel with that one. Makes for an expensive way to duplicate the .204 ballistics +/-. PPC brass is 'spensive...when you can find it. OTOH, if you just want something odd, get yourself a High Wall action, strap a 28" tube on it bored for .224, 'bout a 1:9 twist. Chamber it for the .22/30-30 AI, have fun, confuse your friends. Vaporize crats at long range. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.HiTech.Destruction

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Probably so Dan,,,,,currently working on,,how,I went fishing for 12 hours,,such a selfish bastard,,Next time,,I'll take the bitch and kid with me,,using the pitch fork to rise them out of bed,,,duct tape and all,,,,let them get the full experience of going 60 miles out and catching nothing but undersized tuna and bluefish.Blue's are swarming like a bitch around oc.one 12 lbs. won the last tourney,,,,,,27,000bucks,,wound up seting next to another player in traffic court,,,,a couple would have won,hauling in 15 pounders,,,,but did'nt have the proper payoffs to big brother,,,,,,pissed my pants,,,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote