New
Find
Notify
Tools

A shoot in the A.M.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm done seeding and we are done calving.I stopped by the dump on the way home from the ranch and got permission for a little shoot in the A.M.I did see 2 field lions while talking with the "solid waste site manager".It will be a good test of the .223 and 50 grain V-Maxs.They have worked "magic" on some jack rabbits lately.Good lift and seperation.A healthy dose of Benchmark makes them hum.I will finish my toddy and turn in.Will post tommorrow if things come together.I have to go sharpen my knife.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfer, while I applaud your efforts, I have a suggestion for enhancing your catrobatics. Both the Vmax and BT of .224 diameter are available in 40 grain size, and they are vastly superior for light thin skinned game, especially in the .223 Rem. Many in the know eschew the heavier bullets for that cartridge these days, finding the 40's well beyond adequate for critters smaller that 'yotes, and even for 'yotes. I suppose some guns won't shoot them, but if you've not tried them, please do yourself a favor. They get pretty close to .22-250 velocities with that combo.

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.RedMist.Tips

P.S. The tarpon are starting to show up here. Got to go sharpen my hooks!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,I keep getting rained out.I had to order the 50 grainers from the local sporting goods emporium.When I asked if he had the 50 gr V-Maxs he acted like I asked him for the figures for the gross national product of Bolivia.He had 2 boxes of 55 grain fmj.I'm ordering a bunch of Bergers Monday.It's time to go run the blade over the stone.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Wolfer,,There's not a more comforting sound as a blade skimming over a hard arkansas stone is there?,,,Got tired of putting mine away,and gave it a permanant space on my bench,,,,,Happy honing,,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Claybuster At onetime I went to trade school to be a meatcutter.Our introduction to knives was standing at a sharpening stone with 2 knives for 8 hours.Not only did I learn how to sharpen them but I did learn a healthy respect and admiration for a keen edge.