New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freakin' Bunny from Heck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, this morning I awaken, walk out the back of the house to get in my car, when lo and behold, there was a cottontail, hopping gingerly toward my garden, just waiting to commit suicide. I carefully eased my way back into the garage, got my trusty RWS Diana model 24, broke open the barrel and put in the Crosman powerpoint, and eased the safety off as I closed the range with that wascally wabbit. At about 40 feet, I put the front sight on yonder bunnies' sweet spot, and squeezed the trigger, to the accompaniment of a satisfying "Thunk". Mr. Bunny just looked at me and resumed picking out which plant he was going to assassinate, next. I went back into the garage, put in another powerpoint, and walked back out the Mr. Bunny, and put a powerpoint right through the ribs, again, with the satisfactory "thunk". This time ole Peter Cottontail took off for a few feet, then looked to see what bit him. I went all the way back into the garage again; loaded one more pellet, and put a round into the back of that little bastard's skull, and all he did was shake his ears, and take off for parts unknown.

It's amazing how terminal effects can differ so. The last time I shot a rabbit off my garden with the pellet gun, the projectile entered the back of the skull, shot brain matter out of both ears, and exited the nose. This time, it doesn't seem like I even injured the rabbit that badly, despite getting definite feedback that I "scored" three times.

Shoot. I think I'm going to get some subsonic "quiet" .22 rounds, and try out Mr. CZ on these little furry menaces.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The essence of terminal ballistics is revealed when ultra-light hunting I'm afraid. Try the CB Longs rather than the shorts, they are kinder on the chamber, and ballistics are the same. Do try for head shots, don't try the RWS caps, they have a corrosive primer.

I once had to put down an out of control pit bull that was terroizing things around the brothers house. Only a .22 rf was available and I was surprised as well as saddened that it took 9 shots to put the dog down. All were well placed, three in the head, last one finally getting thru. Always have enough gun.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.TalesFromThe.Crypt

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Dan and 120mm, what about those Aguila SSS 60 grainers? I've heard phenominal things about them, but they do need a high twist barrel. I think they'd be ideal for covert kitty canceling...

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have been away from that crumby sandbox in the Middleeast all that long and you have already forgotten about Claymores?? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
120, Damn! What kind of fertilizer are you using in your garden that your wabbits get so tough? Next thing you know, we'll be hearing about you needing to borrow wolfer's catomatic for slicing tomatoes because you've broken all your knives!

Seriously, I've seen similar things happen with airguns. My suggestion, buy a box of Crow-Magnums and give them a whirl! Might be just the ticket for those steroid bunnies! If not, well, you've struck me as an imaginitive fellow, I'm sure you'll think of something. (Bunny mortar, Bunny-o-matic, Electric tomato plant (not to be confused with the electric pickle ) Do you have a roto-tiller?

Good luck,
Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I DO have a rototiller, now that you mention it. The possibilities abound!

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
120MM,,Rick has a good point on the crow mag's,,,They'll make a cottontail flip 180 deg..Do some practice before "hunting" with them,,they seem to drop a bit quicker than the 14 gr stuff. rws super domes smack them pretty good as well....Good luck!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time finding RWS pellets around here. I'll need to visit one of those "superstores" and get some. The Crosmans are becoming just a pain in the *ss.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I imagine that's what the bunny thought too...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.RabbitsAsFeloin.Lures

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I imagine that's what the bunny thought too...

DD, thanks, you just made my day! No, on second thought, you just made my week! Been a rough one, wife got heatstoke on Saturday, Fourth on Sunday, ('nuff said) and then Wednesday she got stung by a yellow jacket. She's allergic to them and we spent 3 hours in the hospital 'til the swelling in her throat went down. Thank God for the Eppie-Pen! Still, it took her two days to completely recover. She's OK now, but that was scary.

Thanks for the laughs, I needed them.

Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Why don't you borrow "Toolmaker's" pumpkin gun it would make the "Freakin Bunny from Heck" think twice about getting into your garden again.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post

I suggested this to Ann, but she considered it "unsporting" I think it would be just the thing for thieven' wabbits!

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
What do you think about bating the inside of the pumpkin gun? Once the wabbit gets far enough inside fire his but into the next county. Might require a special model to be built but I bet you could do it given the chance.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
yeah, but then your relying on the stupidity of the rabbit - with the Combine of Death, I'm relying on them being slower that it Of course, we could always rig up a big traveling vac that would automatically deposit them in the bore for immediate departure...

Toolmaker

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
What do rabbits normaly live in? Holes in the ground. If your pumpkin/wabbit cannon was camoflaged and baited where Mr/Miss Bunny wabbit crawled inside grabed the food (Carrot) he would set off the cannon his/her self and be propelled out of the garden. If it was aligned properly he could land in the neighbors pit bull pen for instant clean up. Of course you would need to have a sabot (biodegradable of course) large enough to seal the inside of the cannon barrel. Next the cannon would need a camera attached to capture the event so you could post it on the Accurateloading small game forum as an mpg. I will leave the rest of the planning up to you.

And as you would say.

"There's nothing scarier than a machinist with a warped imagination"

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a little redesign a garbage compactor will do a nice job of forming cats into suitable sabots for the bunny boomer. I know this because one of two brothers I once knew(mensa society members BTW), put the family cat in theirs one day after it clawed him. There may be truth in the legend of oriental horizontals as this particular experiment produced one that was cubicle in form.

I thought at the time there was a fine line between insanity and genius, and realize today I've long since crossed over. Wish I could find that fellow and bring him aboard.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Focused.Ingenuity

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Perhaps instead of bait we could use a big Vac like they use for the prairy dogs out west - they would just get deposited in the breach. We use a photo electric beam to detect the presence of said bunny in said chamber discarging said pnuematic howitzer. We could even sync a digital camera (with the delay dialed just right) to catch the wasckily wabbit as it exits the muzzle. Automation, gentlemen, it's the way of the future! Oh, almost forgot, ya don't need a "sabot" think minnie ball - the wabbit will expand to the size of the chamber when you apply enuff air pressure.

Toolmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it take a vacumn to cause expansion in in living things.(as in Space,the perfect vacumn) derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir dirf, the juxtaposition of expansion and vacuums as relates to living things is a true conceptual quagmire. I have seen the good and bad of it over my years in Starfleet. Firstly, consider that with only a few exceptions it is not the vacuum which causes tissue to swell, the explode. Thanks be to the Higher Powers for those few exceptions! Rather, it is the imbalance of forces. Consider it in the fashion that without the external pressure of atmosphere, the body expands without restraint. In support of this philosophy, consider what occurs at the event horizon of a black hole. Given that the environment is nearly devoid of matter, and the purity of the vacuum is high, one would think the average Kardasian or even cat for that matter would explode. Quite the contrary! They become extremely looooong and thin. One speculates that upon contact with the "surface" that 'long' is dispensed with, leaving a nearly infinite 2 dimensional form not unlike a penny left on a railroad track. Even in a cauldron like that you see, devoid of atmosphere, Kardasians will not explode. Nor will cats.

I have pondered the "Kitty Clays" game at some length, in context with interstellar physics such as I have just addressed, and think that pass shooting cats on an event horizon would be a very interesting mental challenge. The results are fraught with conundrums, required lead a puzzle. Fortunately for all, building a hide near a neighborhood dumpster is a far simpler task. A great reward as well! There are vacuums, then there are vacuums.

Jim

Posts: 113 | Location: TX | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
What do you think the air is doing? Nature likes equilibrium - when you turn a vac on, air is expanding into the void created by the vac. If you put a chamber ahead of the vac source, bunnies will be unharmed but feeling a might drafty due to air flow. Now if you put said bunny inta a closed chamber and pump all the air out, well, it'll kill 'em right quik. No, it isn't like in those cheesy scifi movies where the body explodes. What happens is all the cells in your body start rupturing which isn't conducive to ongoing life processes. Plus there's asyphixiation.

Toolmaker