New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabbit barking
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was hunting deer and moving slow when I heard something bark. I thought that it was a fox, but I saw a rabbit watching me walk. I kept watching and he moved a little and barked. I had heard this before, but had never seen what was making the sound.

Has anyone else seen or heard a rabbit bark like a fox??

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Jackoyote? Seriously, no I have not. I have heard tame rabbits vocalize.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have raised some rabbits and I had one that would sometimes "bark" and growl when he got upset

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had rabbits literally "scream" ... very loud and very high-pitched. This was under laboratory conditions.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard 'em squeal plenty of times but never bark......and my crew has killed about 50 snowshoes this season so far.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ya heard was the St. Bernard hiding behind the rabbit.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
I've heard 'em squeal plenty of times but never bark......and my crew has killed about 50 snowshoes this season so far.

When my cat catches a cottontail and doesn't kill it immediately the screams are piteous...

Literally the sad sort of noise that draws an awful lot of attention...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have ever called coyotes you would know rabbits squeal. The best "rabbit call" is a half grown Jack Rabbit or a grown cotton tail, both are the same squeal..BTW that call will bring deer up around you sometimes..

I have heard rabbits make a barking sound on occasions.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
We raise them for meat and they will Bark or growl when angry or feeling threatened.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allan, years ago as a kid my brother and I were awakened by a 'blood curdling scream' in the middle of the night . We figured it was a rabbit taken by an owl . 'Things that go bump in the night '

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rabbits scream when being killed by another predditor almost every time..The bark as a warning that danger is near..basic rabbit 101..

Mt. Lions scream at night but rarely, sounds like a woman dieing..Not sure why but may have to do with the rut??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120