THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Squirrel Season is Right Around the Corner

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrel Season is Right Around the Corner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

This my first post and as you can tell from my handle I love to hunt squirrels (almost as much as I love to eat them).

I have a number of squirrel guns including the following.

Kimber of Oregon Model 82 Super America Mini-Classic with Bausch & Lomb Balfor 4x scope. This rifle has exhibition grade wood and a number of custom touches such as a Niedner steel butt plate, 24 LPI checkering, and a Schnable fore-end. I bought this from Jack Joseph who owned Lock, Stock, and Barrel and was a master Kimber dealer back in the 1980s. He told me they only made 25 of them. I no longer hunt with it because it has become too valuable and I want to pass it down to one of my sons in the pristine shape it is still in.

Browning SA-22 semi-auto. Who doesn't love the little Browning semi-autos? I keep mine unscoped and hunt it with iron sights because it is so easy to carry without a scope.

Taurus Model 63 (copy of the Win 63). I bought this gun as a gift for my dad many years ago and when he passed 10 years ago I inherited it. It has never been scoped and never will be as long as I own it. These little rifles are amazingly accurate and if a squirrel is within 25 or 30 yards he is in the pot.

BRNO Model 1 bolt actions. I have two of these, when the Iron Curtain fell in the early 90s I bought two of these from a company in Canada called Pragotrade and imported them into the States, one for me and one for my dad and since he passed I now have two. Superbly accurate and wonderful examples of old world Czech craftsmanship.

Ruger 10/22. Got it as a gift from Santa Claus for my 11th Christmas in 1976 and its's still killing squirrels and rabbits.

Ruger Mark II and Single Six. Sometimes I just like to take my dog Dutch out and use a pistol and these two are just about perfect for that.

I tried to post a picture of my dog Dutch but it didn't work. He's my buddy and is a Tennessee Mountain Feist squirrel dog and he is good at what he does and even better at being a friend. I'll try again tomorrow to post a pic of him because he is special.

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

I too am a squirrel hunting nut and enjoy pursuing these little critters with a 22LR (rifle and pistol) or a mighty .410 side-by-side. My daughter has hunted Africa, South America and all over North America and her favorite game animal to hunt is the squirrel.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the squirrel woods this season.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I too love to hunt squirrels. I hunt them in the Green Swamp WMA in central Florida and they are quite plentiful there. Also, there is little to no competition there as I have never seen another squirrel hunter. I usually use a shotgun because the tree canopies are so dense and thick in these Florida woods. I might try my .410 this year.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our season, here in Indiana, opened Aug. 15th. I've managed to get out 4 times, since then. The last couple of years, I've really gotten back into my squirrel hunting. My bucket list for big game hunting, is pretty much full. Here's a few pics of a couple outings, so far, this year.

We have a 5 1/2 month season, so I hope to do a LOT of squirrel hunting, this year.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog: Thanks for posting the pictures! Looks like a successful outing for sure.

What caliber are you shooting?

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .22 rimfire. I use CCI SV LR for all my squirrel hunting. The round is very accurate in all three of my .22 rifles.

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics, Mad Dog. That's a nice mess of fox squirrels. Makes me hungry.

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I remember hunting those big fox squirrels when I lived in Michigan. But, down here in Florida, it is grey squirrels only, and they are plentiful. Fox squirrels are protected and are illegal to shoot.
joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slipped out this am[after a week of rain], and nailed this young fox squirrel, with my H&R Sportster.

Mad Dog

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
That's really cool, Mad Dog. I am envious. Can't hunt any squirrels here until November.
joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son got home today for a hunt. Between the two of us, we got three.

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics, Maddog. Thanks for posting them. I can almost taste the squirrel gravy and biscuits.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Opened last week for those of us here in
Tennessee.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got out this am, but it was cloudy and pretty windy. Lucked into a couple that were feeding up in the hickories. You had to see them, because you couldn't hear them, in the wind.

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a .17HMR or a .22LR Mad Dog?

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As deer season approaches I look foward to bagging some squirrels.

On my lease there is No Closed Season, No Bag Limit.

While I hate to skin the little beggars, I do love to shoot and eat them... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FC363:
Is that a .17HMR or a .22LR Mad Dog?

It's a .22 LR. I shoot CCI SV LR., for my squirrel hunting.

Mad Dog

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Try mister squawks method of cleaning a squirrel. He has a step by step video on you tube.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a great morning in the woods. I ended up with four.

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squirrel stroganoff or kebabs!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got out yesterday, a little later than normal. Very cool and very breezy. Saw two, and managed to red head one, at 1:00 in the afternoon.

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
Had a great morning in the woods. I ended up with four.

Mad Dog

Some good eatin' right there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nailed a couple more, on Sunday.

Since I was batching it, this weekend, I turned a couple of them into this..... Big Grin

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
Since I was batching it, this weekend, I turned a couple of them into this..... Big Grin

Mad Dog

That's heaven right there. There's nothing better.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Well seeing that is a first for me !

As a hunter who is also a fly fisherman and ties his own flies, out of interest what do you do with the tails and skins? A few years back I paid the equivalent of USD 12,- for a fox squirrel skin for my fly tying !!

Cheers and bon apetite and good hunting!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Michigan..squirrels are the ONLY thing in that state that I miss,,that picture of a skillet of fried squirrel really hit a nerve!!.. Been killing a few pine squirrels here in Idaho ..taste great! I prefer them to grouse for taste..

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been getting out a few times this last week. Nailed a few. My son was up, yesterday, for a hunt. On what had to be the most beautiful day, so far, this fall, we both limited out in about 3 1/2 hrs.

Got lucky and nailed 5 squirrels, with six shots out of my single shot Sportster.

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been out a couple more times, and the weather has been beautiful, both days. Decided to take my peep sighted 10/22 one day, but went back to my scope sighted sportster, today...too many leaves up, yet. Couple pics.

I've shot 33 so far, this season.

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, I sure do miss squirrel hunting. First thing I ever hunted with a firearm were squirrels. Great thread.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got out yesterday. It was kind of breezy, but the sun was shining. I decided to take my little buddy Dexter for a hunt. He's not a hunting dog, but loves it out in the woods. I saw two, and dropped one. No, Dex didn't tree it, but he was VERY interested, and the gun shots didn't bother him a bit.

The squirrel was a big ole male. Old enough to draw social security....

See what I mean? Big Grin

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Took time off to go get me a freezer deer, now I'm back chasing "limb chickens". Here is some random picks from my last few outings.

Our season runs until Jan. 31. Hope to get out several more times, depending on the weather.

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel for y'all----here in my county there is no closed season and no limit (except your conscience). Lots of riverbottom pecan groves and the growers love to have their "predator populations" reduced!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've gotten four grays so far for 2015. Once I get several more I will be making squill pot pies to stock the freezer. I plan to use wild rice and wild mushrooms in the recipe. I love 'wild' dinners.

I simmer them in the crock pot with some beef stock and pull the meat after it has been nicely softened off the bones.

There is good meat on the heads so I leave them on. This is how they look before going into the pot.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm from Pennsylvania, and I had never shot a fox squirrel until yesterday. I run home from work at lunch everyday to walk my dogs, and my little heeler/terrier mutt barked a squirrel up a tree. Assuming it was a gray I kept walking, but when I caught a glimpse and realised it was a fox squirrel I quickly ran home to grab my gun and vest. Went back and spotted this big male up the same tree as when I left, and was able to get him. I think I'll just walk the dogs with my 20ga and vest on in the future.

I told the neighbor farmer about it, and he gave me permission to go squirrel hunt around a camp that he is the caretaker for. Apparently they have a squirrel problem there, so I'm looking forward to hiking down there and giving it a shot. This was actually only the second fox squirrel I've seen in PA, as I normally hunt ruffed grouse and what squirrels I do come across tend to be gray squirrels.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally someone hunting with a shotgun. I hunt wildlife management areas and sadly they don't allow us to sling 22 bullets far into the sky when shooting squirrels. I like to shoot an ounce of 4 shot because most of the time they at least get to the far side under the hide and are easy to find. Most of the time I try to head shoot them with the edge of the pattern if I have to use 6 shot.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally someone hunting with a shotgun

Hunting squirrels with a shotgun is al most unfair. stir

I use a 22 also head shots work well

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this is an older thread, but our 2015 season opened Aug. 15. Here's a few pics from the first 2 wks. of hunting.

I've shot 13 in the last 10 days. Playing with a scoped 10/22, that I'm growing more fond of every time I take it out.

Mad Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Older thread. I have a pile of squirrels in the pecan groves of my central TX lease. I was planning to take my daughter out hunting them in a few weeks. Do y'all prefer shooting them with a .410 or a .22? I have both, but was figuring I'll put the daughter behind the .410 and I'll use the 22. Or I can put us both behind 22's.

Posts: 472 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your idea of the daughter shooting the .410, and you using the .22. If she's just beginning her hunting career, it will be easier for her to shoot squirrels with the .410. When she becomes more proficient, move her to the.22.

Personally, I prefer the challenge of a .22 rimfire. I'd rather shoot one with a .22, than a limit with a shotgun, but that's just me. When I was younger, I'd used a shotgun, a quite a bit, and in some areas, it's safer to use, than the .22. Good luck with your hunting.

Mad Dog