Find
Notify
Tools

I Got One
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have two cats, my cats stay home. They are both neutered females, a mother and her daughter. They do their jobs, keeping vermin from the barn. They even watch over my chickens.

During egg collection yeaterday I noticed a lot of feathers, which should not be. Something has been after the birds.

Last night, just before turning in I saw my younger female inside the chicken pasture fencing (not unusual, she will raise chicks if you let her) and I saw a second cat. I have a low fence operation. It was a black cat. The other female belonging to me is black but this just did not look right. It was nearly dark and getting hard to see but I had a feeling this was not good. I judged this by the body posture of my female. So I grabbed my 10/22 and went to investigate.

Sho nuff, it was a rogue after my birds! My cat had it cornered.

When it saw me taking a bead it ran and FAST. It also made a HUGE mistake. It ran into the open door of my dog kennel. My doggie was already in the house going to bed.

I ran barefoot across the driveway ( I have 21 AA gravel, it's hard on bare feet)I slammed the door shut and this cat did the most amazing gymnastics in there. It looked like it was a black rubber ball. I finally ended the show. The bag was a large un-neutered male.

So, not all kitties are bad!

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice going Ann. It is not everyone who has the nerve to corner a rouge Field Lion and then go after it with a 22RF. Definitely a gutsy move! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Fine post, fine story and a fine image of you running about the farm barefoot. I would have been in a fine mood after running across that gravel barefoot!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I would respectfully suggest that most folks who post here have a cat, or don't mind cats in general. It's just that they are so FUN to poke fun at, as they are nature's most pretentious animal, plus the feral and semi-feral kind are extremely destructive to nature.

AND it's fun to get a rise out of the people out there with no sense of imagination or humor.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann if I were single...

Any gal that can grade gravel, air freight a feral cat to her dog, close the door, then finish the job, all while barefooted...with a 10/22...north of the Mason-Dixon...well I am in awe! I am unworthy again. Twice in one week. Lots of Southern girls can do some of that, not many do it all. BTW, do you have a boat?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.RealWoman.InAction

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heh Heh, Dan and all, this little forum always cracks me up when I read it. I love the little soap opera goings on. But I do realize a lot is done in jest.

But life on the farm has some unpleasantries, mainly feral cats, racoons, possums, skunks, fox and coyotes. If I see 'em, they pay the price. I lost a lot of hens last year, never again. I keep my game and fur bearer licenses very current.

No boat, maybe someday, I need a new tractor first, babe.

My barefooted ways are legendary. Once, in the winter here, with two feet of snow, I saw a possum in the daylight doing wrong things. I grabbed my trusty .22, which is always ready and loaded, and dashed out the door. I had to because it saw me looking at it out the window.

You have NO IDEA how slippery snow is in bare feet. I didn't either at the time. I might as well have been on ice skates. I ran pell mell after the departing possum and it stopped suddenly to face me off. I could not stop and slid right into it. Snow was plowing up from my feet and legs and the words "OH SHIIIIIITttt" where heard echoing though the woods. I am sure it would have made great "stupid pet tricks" video. Anyway, my slide in to home plate startled the possum enough it could not bite me and I finished him as soon as I got my balance.

Varmints bring out the best in me.

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost POTKB again, but this time... well, oh forget it...

Hope all you wascally wabbits are paying close attention to this.

Enjoy your insights Ann, hang around awhile. Snow stories are my favorite!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.ImportantRecruiting.Drive

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I once had a neighbor who would wrestle with garden hose, chop unfortunate things in his lawnmower, run over just about anything in (or near) his driveway, etc. and I loved watching him while I had my breakfast. Better than TV any day. I would LOVE to be your neighbor. Might get in trouble though... My wife would be asking me what I'm looking at and telling her that the neighbor is out skiing might just be a bit of a lie! Well, a bit!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hobie,

I can promise you I am a great neighbor unless you have straying animals looking for chicken dinner!

Well, now that the weekend is here I am wondering what kinds of things will crop up that help keep my shooting skills sharp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ann, when you get a boat, could you post a picture of it?? Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote