New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrel cleaning. PLEASE HELP!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm a few weeks into recovering from shoulder surgery. My right hand is mostly out of commission. So, I finally have some forced free time, and I can't go hunting because I can't figure out how to clean a squirrel with one only my left hand.
I can shoot a .22rf left handed near my house from a chair off of shooting sticks. But then what? Squirrels are not really easy to skin.
Maybe I can tie one hind leg to a string, to a tree. Stretch him out a bit and step on the other leg with my boot. Cut between the hind legs and under the tail. Step on the tail and pull off the skin with my left hand, maybe.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check you tube for videos on skinning/cleaning squirrels. Lots of them on there and maybe one will give you a good idea....

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^Thanks for the suggestion, that has led me to some ideas. I have an outdoor vice I use for sharpening chainsaw blades, that might make all the difference.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw on a show very recently a new to me way that looked worth trying. Guy just cut the underside of the base of the tail and through the bone, leaving as much skin intact. Then he just stepped on the tail, pulled the hind feet and the majority of hide came off. Al that was left was a point of hide going up the belly, down over the sides of the legs. Haven't tried it yet, but I will.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I saw on a show very recently a new to me way that looked worth trying. Guy just cut the underside of the base of the tail and through the bone, leaving as much skin intact. Then he just stepped on the tail, pulled the hind feet and the majority of hide came off. Al that was left was a point of hide going up the belly, down over the sides of the legs. Haven't tried it yet, but I will.

The above method works very well. You just have to be very careful to leave as much skin at base of tail uncut as you can. There are also little skinning contraptions that hold the feet that work very well, nailed to a tree or a board. I don't know where to buy one, but am sure you can find one on net.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Vise.
I have always used the step on the tail and pull up method; it will work for you as it only requires one hand, once you make the cuts. It does leave some skin on the legs. Have your wife take that part off.
Alternative; burn or scald and scrape, the hair off and cook the whole thing, skin on.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been trying to figure out how to use your teeth...never mind. Don't you have a grandson to take with you? How about a good buddy? Time to call in a marker or two...

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:

I have personally cleaned squirrels, both grey and fox varieties, using this method for over 50 years - it works like a charm.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote