New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 long rifle bird shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just wondering if anyone has used the .22 long with #10 bird shot. If you have how did they work, how far would they shoot effectively and how did they kill whatever you shot at. I was thinking of using them on grouse.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I have never tried them on game, but would not use them for anyting but rats in close quaters. I fear that 15 yards is a long shot with that stuff. Actually they are not legal for hunting here as far as I know. Don't know about BC of course.

If you are talking about shooting grouse sitting on the ground, I think CCI Standard or similar would do the job much better. A lot of grouse (or rather ptarmigan) are shot that way here in Sweden during the winter when the white birds can be found on the snow.

For any other grouse shooting I would without question stick to a traditional shootgun in 12 or 20 gauge with at least 28 grams (1 oz I think) with no 6 or 7 shot.

And I fear that the Small Games forum is not the place for serious questions... It is rather wasted on us! Big Grin

Regards,
Marterius

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of ups and downs with rat shot. If fired from a SMOOTH bore .22 they will actully break clays out to about 15 yards +/-. From a rifled bore their effectice range is about 10'. I favor the W-W crimped shot cartridges for pattern in a rifled bore, the CCI shot caps. disperse the pattern way too quickly.

For a good time try carpenter bees or dragon flys on a hot summer day! Kids love it. Oh, and they will perforate roofing tin inside of 10'. Don't ask how I know that.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Aw.Crap!

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of a rifled handgun or rimfire rifle your effective range is only about 10' I'd say. I've killed snakes and mice with them and they work really well.

The shot spread/pattern at 10' in a pistol is around 12-16" I'd say. VERY rapid!

For grouse I'd not suggest them, the pellets are so tiny I can't see you having sufficient penetration to get a humane kill and at close enough range to actually kill the bird you'd have a huge number of those tiny pellets to deal with (assuming you're going to eat them?).

Now a .44 Mag or .357 Mag handgun I'd say yes, you could take down a bird at very close range as they use larger shot, but your range is still 20' at most I'd say due to very rapid pattern dispersal with the rifled bore.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I couldn't wait. I went out to a local gravel pit and tried out the shot. Those things suck. You guys are right about rapid spread. Also the patterns were not at all consistant. The rifling really screws that up, I guess. Anyway looks like I will be sticking to regular ammunition.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
schmaus, might I recommend to you the site in BC, http://www.huntingbc.ca . Come join us if you haven't already. derf(aka Fred)

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Humdy, humdy, humdy. Bumba deeda bumba. Hya cha cha!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have tried them on ruffed grouse, only makes them mad and they run away. Good for red squirrels and nuisance birds on the feeder.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh, 120......SSSHHHH! That ain't perzactly kosher buddy, they don't eat pork.

Oh blah dee oh blah dahh-aah rockin dockin cha-cha-cha!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.BigBrotherInA.DuckBlind

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Humdy, humdy, humdy. Bumba deeda bumba. Hya cha cha!

POTKB!

Channel 11 news at 11, stay tuned for further clarifications! roflmao

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Dang,,,Schmaus,,,You managed to choke 2 of the best posters on this forum with one question without pissing anyone off!!!!!!! I my self unfortunately am recovering from bourbon through the sinuses. .22 rat shot sucks ass,,,as you allready know,,,,,maby pick up a contender with a .45lc/.410 barrel,,,will do 20 yd rabbit ,,,,does good on white tail,,,,,using a 250 grn cast bullet ,,,,,,remember to take the choke out!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and they will perforate roofing tin inside of 10'. Don't ask how I know that.

Not that I understand much of what is going on in this thread (hell, not suprised, uh?), but that quote reminds me of when a friend and I were asked to clear a barn infested with pidgeon using skeet-loads. I was cool enough to shoot outside, my friend was more ambitious and wanted those pidgeons that were sitting on the roof-beam inside the mashine-hall. My friend had some work to do on that roof later, and had to paint a door as well. Eeker

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Oh, and they will perforate roofing tin inside of 10'.
Don't ask how I know that.!

Hey Dan, how do you know that?

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
I was just wondering if anyone has used the .22 long with #10 bird shot. If you have how did they work, how far would they shoot effectively and how did they kill whatever you shot at. I was thinking of using them on grouse.

My Grandfather only used them on red quirrels at about 15 FEET range. Most times multiple shots were required to kill the pests but Grandpa didn't care if they were killed outright. Grouse? I wouldn't. In fact, I've still got about 45 of the things that were Grandpa's.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Dan, how do you know that?

Cause there was a bang, and I SAW THE LIGHT! roflmao

Mart, we don't have a clue either, just fake it. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.WomenNever.Listen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
um thanks for all of your help...
I think?

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Hang with this one, it does deal with bird shot.

Ft. Worth is one of my favorite places in the world, but, man that is place eat up with rats. Lived in one of the older neighborhoods for 20 years (Wedgwood). Every afternoon just at dark, you could sit outside and watch the rats running the power lines which ran in an easement between each block of houses. Moving there from West TN, I started sniping them off the lines for fun and to cut down on the numbers, till the local tree huggers and politically correct types called the law. Nice conversation with the officer, but he allowed as to how them city folks just did not understand, and would rather have the rats running in their attics as to have the .22 going off.

Oh well, on to the real story here. Wife ran an in home day care center, the 24X24 garage closed in and plumbed with a bathroom made a nice little holding area for the tricycle motors. There was a breeze way that connected the garage to the house, that I closed in and made into a mud room, complete with new washer and dryer hook up, and all along the back wall, built shelves to hold canned goods. My children were pre teen, and I noticed that the fruit bowl started all of a sudden, to show an apple with a bit taken out and placed, (I thought) back in the bowl. I lined the miscreants up and gave strict orders, "If you want an apple, eat an apple, but do NOT take a bit and put it back!" Next morning, same thing, I was furious, rounded up the usual suspects and delivered the ultimatum, should the scoundrel perpetrate the apple bite again, dire consequences would follow.

That night around midnight, nature called and I decided to check the kitchen for malfeasance around 1:00 A.M., I slipped up the hall and flipped on the light to check the fruit bowl, and square in the middle was a huge rat! Surprised by my sneaky presence he dashed off the counter, under the fridge and I heard scurrying sounds under the sink. Flung open the cabinet doors in time to see the tail disappear along side the drain pipe where it entered the wall. Filled with remorse at my ill treatment of my children, and sickened by the thought of a rat in my kitchen, I plugged the hole around the pipe with steel wool, and planned a HAVOC attack for the morrow.
I was banging on the service doors of Home Depot at 7:00 the next morning, left the cleaning crew a $20.00 and took several packages of poison to the house and positioned them in the attic and around the outside, and off to work I went. About 9:30, my office radioed me with a call from the wife, the dispatcher said that she was frantic, and was babbling incoherently. I called immediately and all I could get from her was "HOME, NOW!!", so I fired the Bronco up and away I did fly. Upon arriving at the house I found her perched on the couch with a meter stick held above her head like a samurai sword. Finally got her calmed down enough to tell me that she had been headed out to the day care with mid morning snacks when a rat (evidently there had been more than one supping at the time of my sneak raid) had jumped off the shelves in the breeze way, landing on her head, and had run down her back, under her shirt, and under the washing machine. She slammed the door to the day care, jumped back in the house, closing that door as well. Taking stock of her tactical situation, she found herself cut off from the kiddies, as her keys were in her purse on her desk in the garage/day care room, and the new door had a different lock from the others in the house, her only ingress was the breeze way. Stealing herself with he afore mentioned meter stick, she slowly opened the door, prepared to swat the rat and run for the kids, only find it perched on the top shelf again. She flailed at the beast, but instead of diving under the washer again, it leapt for her weapon and ran down the stick, or at least part way, however when she saw the tact of the rodent, she threw him off, where upon again he raced up the rack of shelves to gain the high ground again.
That was enough; she fled the field and placed the strident call for help. Upon my getting a faily clear description of the events, I took her stick, and assured her I would make quick work of the intruder. Into the pale I eased, with an eye out for the top shelf, I cracked the door, saw the rat on a jar of stewed tomatoes, flung open the door and swung with all my might. The jar exploded, but the rat escaped to the cover of the washing machine. I closed the door behind me, intent on hand to hand. I moved the machine, made another attempt to brain him, but now with the washer in the middle of the room, he scurried back atop the shelves. I slammed the washer aside and charged back, only to have him leap over me and regain his cover of the washer. By now I was really worked up, realizing the more nimble supper mouse was going to out run me, I beat a hasty retreat to the play room, opened the exit door from the inside allowing the wife to regain access to the crumb snatchers, and retreated to the gun closet. I retrieved my Ruger semi auto pistol, loaded her up with CCI rat shot and prepared for a flanking maneuver. I eased the inside door open just a scouch, and the evil little rascal was sitting, laughing with anticipation of the next run around, when I rolled his sorry little hinney off the shelf with a direct hit amidships. I spent and hour cleaning up the tomatoes and splattered rat with bleach, but the pellet holes are there to this day as testament to battle.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Great story!

I had hoped once to have a Ruger Mk. II ratshot squil-in-attic story that might have been maybe half as good, but i never found the squil and then sould the Ruger shortly after.

But yours is truly a great story (when i shoot cats)!

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worriedman, fine dead rat tail indeed! clap Felt like I was lookin' right over your shoulder the whole time! thumb Yessir! beer Now if you'll excuse me I need to go take a shower and get the 'mater juice off of me. Wink

Hope the missus is doing well.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Schmaus, I know you probably think you found the cookoo's nest and you're right. EekerWell, even if we're nutz you now know everything you need to know about ratshot and .22s. Got any questions about crat shot? Confused

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.WereFullOf.Information

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cause there was a bang, and I SAW THE LIGHT! roflmao

You see Dan conffestion is good for the soul!

http.www./ Still digging myself out of a bog.

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I haven’t tried the 22 shot capsules yet, but I did put #9's over RS with a fiber wad in my Ruger Old Army revolver. It was hell on snakes but only at 3ft or less. It kind of blew the shot pattern to hell. nut

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Speer used to sell a plastic shot capsule for .38/357 use. Filled with #9 shot, they were hell on Ol' Joe No Shoulders out to 8' or so. I loaded 100 back about 15 years ago, still have a shotgun shell box full. Not sure they still make them.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I took out a crow at about 10 feet with a Speer shot capsule and #6's from my SBH. He never knew what hit him. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the summer of 1980 I baled hay on a crew up in North Dakota. At the beginning of the day, the boss man would hand out old .38 caliber, shot out revolvers, and 6 rounds of shot shells. The revolvers were for shooting rattlesnakes, as the North Dakota variety are extremely aggressive, yet small. I got 26 snakes that summer, and the .38 shotshells are deadly on them a lot further out than I thought.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I 've shot clays (thrown from my own hand) with a 357 snubby (Colt Trooper III) loaded with shot capsules. I have some speer capsules for 45 Colt and a pound or so of #12. Good medicine.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote