Find
Notify
Tools

what barrel length
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
i want to do more small game hunting with a revolver.i have decided on the ruger single six convertible.( 22lr /22 mag)would there be a big difference between the 6.5 and 9.5 inch barrels.whats the formula to figure out the 3 inch difference in velocity talking rabbits to fox at around 30-40 yard max.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Essay, Thanks for posting the link. Very valuable research by Saeed.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I like the 9.5" barrel not so much for the velocity as the sight radius. If you are mounting a red dot the length of barrel is not as important. Thanks for the info. Be Well, Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 6.5" barrel because it is easier to carry in a holster. The 9.5" to me is just too long. I doubt if there is really much difference for actual small game shooting. I mostly shoot cottontails and jackrabbits with mine. I have a single-six in .32 H&R with the 5.5 inch barrel and it also works fine on rabbits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that when you put a red dot sight onto a pistol, it will usually sit high above the barrel and as such your aim may be way high except at a small range of distances.
Example: At 10 yards can be 2 inches high. At 25 yards can be dead on. At 35 and beyond can be way off.
Remember to assess impact vs aim at distances you will engage targets at.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either would suit me fine, the difference would be very little if any in the field, Id lean towards the shorter tube myself..Most questions along these lines would be better answer by you thru trial and error..missing a rabbit, skunk, coyote isn't criminal btw..My favorite varmint pistol is a 22 L>R. colt match target with a 4.5" barrel, its pretty deadly at up to 25 to 50 yards depending on whos shooting..and it ride easy in the PU, or horseback..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to keep my handgun barrels to under 8 inches.

I have a 10 inch BFR it is really big.

My most favorite barrel length is 5.5.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree a barrel of 4 to 6 inches is best, sitting in the pickup with a 9 inch barrel is a constant gouge in the kidneys and its an awkward pistol any way you cut it...even in a shoulder holster..My opinnion only as the subject is argueable ....the rabbits can't tell the difference. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote