New
Find
Notify
Tools

spotlighting Jack rabbits?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had some friends go on a canned hunt in Texas a few years back, they all took large game, but they had the most fun spotlighting Jackrabiits at night.

does anyone know of a guide service that does this?

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of a guide service that provides this. When I was a kid in the 60's it was our nightly entertainment. Jackrabbits were considered vermin then and the wheat farmers wanted them shot. Later, the farmers began spraying weeds fence row to fence row wiping out nesting sites for the rabbits. There are no rabbits there anymore.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
I don't know of a guide service that provides this. When I was a kid in the 60's it was our nightly entertainment. Jackrabbits were considered vermin then and the wheat farmers wanted them shot. Later, the farmers began spraying weeds fence row to fence row wiping out nesting sites for the rabbits. There are no rabbits there anymore.

No or few jacks is a sad fact of life. I've worn our the barrels on fine rifles shooting running jacks with small centerfire guns. Those were the days!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I love hares!

They are just big interesting animals.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did that a lot when I was a kid in the 60's in Alberta. Totally illegal so that was where I got my shifty eyes, from.

As the farmers got too efficient the pheasants and the jack rabbits mostly disappeared. I have not shot a jack rabbit in many years. As a kid we got either 25 or 50 cents each - white and frozen from the mink farmers ..

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost all land in Texas is private. You don't need a guide, you need a landowner that will allow permission. Most landowners will charge you for this. I shot bunches of jackrabbits and what worked best for me was cast bullets in .22 cal. My friend used a .22 rimfire and did very well, but my rig would reach out a little farther.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the most fun times I had
was riding the car fenders at night
shooting jacks with either a revolver
or .22. Lot of times there was one of
us on each front fender. We'd take turns
driving or shooting.

Now and then we'd kick up a coyote too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember to riding on the hood of my dads car at night that was fun. Using 22's and a 410. Around here theres still some. But not like it use to be.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A million times growing up, and the cream that flowed to the top was on many ocassions a bobcat, fox, coyote or ringtail, and on a couple of occasions a Lion, but never got the Lions, they are just too smart..and of course in West Texas a Javalina or 10 got shot..That was back in the day when no season on varmints and Javalinas..Some of that's changed these days but not much..They did put a limit and a 6 months season on the Javalina last I heard..I used a Win. 63 22 L.R. for everything..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once in a while when out in remote NV I will bust out the bright flashlight and my Ruger MK II target pistol and pop a few Jack Rabbits. I grew up hunting them and always had the most fun at night when they were thick as thieves. Three guys in the back of a truck. Guy in the middle with the spotlight and two shooters. everyone would rotate out until we got bored and decided to head home.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
Once in a while when out in remote NV I will bust out the bright flashlight and my Ruger MK II target pistol and pop a few Jack Rabbits. I grew up hunting them and always had the most fun at night when they were thick as thieves. Three guys in the back of a truck. Guy in the middle with the spotlight and two shooters. everyone would rotate out until we got bored and decided to head home.

We didn't get bored until the sun was almost up! LOL ...A quick nap and then we'd head on home.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan of shooting Jacks. I was a fan of shooting cottontails and eating them. Delicious! We had some epic hunts for cottontails back in the day! Sometimes a whole gunny sack full! tu2 Now, what I really liked to do(way back when) was shoot rats at the local garbage dump at night with the 22lr. And yes, it was perfectly legal at the time! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I used to do that too. It was a ton of fun + the folks that ran the dump didn't care. I don't know if it's still legal or no. Probably not as it involves guns + the civil rights of vermin.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Years ago we did it with greyhounds in South Texas. Jacks would come into freshly tilled fields and were easy to spotlight way out there. As soon a hound caught sight the chase was on.

More recently used rimfires but for the last several years we just haven't had the numbers we used to. Drought some years and coyotes others.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
In the 1950s, we shot most everything that moved, including jack rabbits. We boys shot and cleaned them and Dad made chili meat from the jacks and mom chicken fried the cottontails. I still love a properly fried rabbit.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the 70s I was driving through Granger, Tx. + this old pickup truck passed me with 2 old black men in the cab. In the bed were 2 Borzoi (Russian Wolfhounds) + strapped all along the length of the truck were jackrabbits. Those guys had done a serious day of hunting. I would have loved to have seen them in action. My dad used to tell me that when he was a kid he would run them down as although they are fast they can't keep it up for long. who knows, he lied to me about other stuff too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We hunted them nearly every weekend during the summer on the mesa west of Las Cruces, New Mexico in the 60s. Shot them with everything we could come up with; shotguns, deer rifles, 22s, archery, pistols. You name it, we used it. All of it was daylight work, usually middle of the afternoon until dark. Left them where they dropped.

Shot them from the window of the car, the back of a Yamaha, and for one summer from the top of the backseat of my brother's 57 Chevy convertible.

I think our biggest day was 35 rabbits. Usually it was a 10 to 12. Badgers, skunks, coyotes, rattlers, and the occasional porcupine were "once in a lifetime" thrills.

Never spotlighted them. We were "done" by the time the sun went down.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As many as I spotlighted using pistol or rifle in the ranches surrounding Marfa, Texas, my favorite pass time was to walk jacks up and take them on the run at ranges from 50 to 400 yards or further with a varmint rifle or an iron sighted 25-35. Dont remember the misses only the hits! but it was and is sho nuff a great way to spend a weekend..makes you a great game shot rolling jacks at 200 yards.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember shooting lots of jacks in those sandhills I believe west of Upper Valley of El Paso, and man were the quail thick, and unbeknown the number of deer that liven out in those sandhills. My brother had a home that bordered those sandhills..My family ranched on the other side of the franklin mountains, as did I years later..those sandhills also had a lot of rabbits and quail, hardly any deer in the sandhills, but lots of deer in the Franklins North end and on top..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, what I really liked to do(way back when) was shoot rats at the local garbage dump at night with the 22lr. And yes, it was perfectly legal at the time

I could never get enough 22 shells for this activity.

Then just as it was getting dark the bears would start coming into the dump.

Nothing like thinking it was one of your buddies coming up behind you.

Only to turn around and find a black furry critter.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote