Find
Notify
Tools

.22 rimfire subsonics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
Anyone have experience hunting with 22 LR subsonic rounds? Hunt grouse & snowshoe rabbits in Alaska with Ruger 10/22? Any advantage over hi-speed LR?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than being quiet , no. I don't think noise is a problem in Alaska.You will also lose a few animals that wander off and die.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is what I was thinking but a buddy is pretty impressed with them

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One big disadvantage we ran into using subsonic loads in a 10-22 was they wouldnt feed reliably. We were using CB Longs for urban pest control and they wouldnt feed, but they sure were quiet and under 25 yards would kill small game up to possum size with one shot. I am sure the 10-22 isnt intended for use with CB's so we lived with it and had no hard feelings with the Ruger. I use cheap 22 solids for squirels and such, used to use HP's but had too much meat lost with them.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
my 10/22 is pretty finicky since I put the A & B barrel on it, last round if not shot wont eject because of throat on the barrel, found rem thunderbolts work best

Jim

posted Hide Post
We use them over here in NZ all the time when we shoot in semi-rural area's. We have suppressors on our 10/22's as well and it makes them very quiet.

I've had no cycling problems with CCI subsonic's (40gr HP @ 1050fps) in my 10/22 and neither have any of my friends.

Posts: 1 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 21 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Aguila SSS loads function well in my 10/22. (Sniper Sub-Sonics)
They don't stabilze very well out of short barrels, but are reasonably accurate out to 60 yards or so in my 10/22 SS carbine. I doubt you will loose many animals if you hit them with a 60g bullet.

All you can hear is the action on a 10/22.
clack-clack
You can hear the bullets hit the target out to 100 yards.
THWAAACK!!

Cabela's
Aguila SSS

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
They're generally more accurate after the transonic zone of high-speed bullets, but that might not mean anything to someone who's just hunting..

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
THWAAACK!!

Hell yeah! Sometimes the strike can be very loud! And they are accurate too! I cannot say there is any difference to the killing power of the sub-sonic bullet. I have only tried the 40gr subs. Mmmmm.... 60gr (Sniper Sub-Sonics) you say? I must try some of those! Come to think of it, the Toz rifles have 1-in-14 twists and I happen to have one (it needs a new bolt). Mmmmm....

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
If the consideration is noise, as is the reason I use CB caps, then I can understand using the subsonic loads, but if not, I wouldn't bother. But that's just me....... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Well, I would agree, especially considering the trajectory but in the field, I have found no real handicap with subs. The killing power and reach is actually quite amazing!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:
THWAAACK!!

Hell yeah! Sometimes the strike can be very loud! And they are accurate too! I cannot say there is any difference to the killing power of the sub-sonic bullet. I have only tried the 40gr subs. Mmmmm.... 60gr (Sniper Sub-Sonics) you say? I must try some of those! Come to think of it, the Toz rifles have 1-in-14 twists and I happen to have one (it needs a new bolt). Mmmmm....
The best thing is that the SSS are the same OAL as a reg 22LR round. They are a 60g bullet on a 22 short case.
They feed and function the same in every rifle and pistol I have tried them in as a regular 22LR round.

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Flippy. I have heard of them and even seen one but didn't get any sensible reports on them until now. thumb

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Thanks for that Flippy. I have heard of them and even seen one but didn't get any sensible reports on them until now. thumb
You are welcome.

---Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Abob,
I use and like the Remington Hollowpoint .22LR subsonics for ruffed grouse and snowshoe hares, but would not use any solid point subsonic for that purpose, whether CB or Long Rifle variety. I have lost several grouse that were sitting overhead in the aspens and shot in the center of the breast with solid points. They actually fly away ( low and slow, but they did it!) The only hollowpoint subsonic I have experience with is the Remington, but it works very well. High speed LR's do kill better if shot placement is a bit off. The ONLY reason I use and like the subsonic loads is that I have hearing damage from shooting big guns without muffs, and I like to hunt small game "take it as it comes" and so do not want to wear ear plugs all the time while carrying a .22. I may be fooling myself, but i think that the subsonics are just enough quieter to protect what little hearing I have left without having to screw in some ear plugs every time a bird or bunny presents itself.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I use Aguila and CCI sub-sonics. Both are very accurate and cycle in my Marlin 60. They do seem better suited to a single shot bolt action though.
I have an old Savage(1952) w/ a 22" barrel that is almost silent w/ them. The hammer dropping is louder than the report.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I use the sss aguila 60 gr on small stuff and some large stuff but I needed a 1in7 twist bbl to make them realy work for great accuracy volquartsen sells a drop in for the 1022 and I cut one to fit a 7722. works great quieter than an air rifle.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The subsonic Aguilas may work just fine, but stay away from the ones marked "sans poudre', or "without powder'. I shot a gray squirrel with one at about 15'. Shot the little devil in the ribs. 10 minutes later he was still hanging on to the pecan tree with a bloody spot on his left side the size of a silver dollar!

I have a bunch of boxes left, and won't ever shoot another one of them...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
My friend and his dad use those for rats in the barn. Perfect for this use. No overpenetration, dead rat.
Some of the bigger rats may require a double-tap however... Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the RWS subsonics the best very accurate. I don't shoot them much they cost too much.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Man I wish I had some SS rounds when I had to dispatch a few strays tearing up my trash night after night after night.....But nothing a foot hold trap and a pellet rifle didn't cure!
The worst part of it was that the first cat wasn't all that quite and too 8 .17 cal pellets to the damn head! The next I popped it in the head and a 2 to the chest. Went quietly! No more issues Wink dancing
just dont tell me wife....she loves cats! The town selectmen even dont like strays and said its cheaper for me to "scare them off".
Fine example of using subs. So you dont scare the nabors. Town popped up around our old farm house.

Which Subs did you guys have the best accuracy with? (my in town events are over!)

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've used the CCI's for their great accuracy and low cost. They always shoot better'n the CCI Standard Vel solids. I kill mostly paper with them though.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I did some pricing of subs in my area, DAMN! Now with the "new Obama" rasheam people are stock piling ammo and just about anything fire arms related!
so when you do find some it cost must have JUMPED way up!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used CCI sub and really liked the older Remington CB(they no longer produce it). I have become totally engaged with suppressors lately and have found that a .22mag built with an integrated suppressor has a muzzle signature about like a CCI CB long. If I were to get a fast twist barrel for one of my other 22s I would have it integrated as well, because using the 60gr SSS all you hear is CLICK followed by TINK if shooting metallic targets. If shooting pigs at night they don't have a clue. They just fall over and you keep shooting their siblings.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use Rem hollow point subsonics in a 10-22...I have lightened the bolt by drilling the back side..It cycles very well and double taps are quick and easy...Volquartsen muzzle weighted barrel and some trigger parts make it very accurate with subsonics....Clean kills on gophers (Columbia ground squirrel) out to 75 yds.....The price has gone up $10 a brick in 2009 to $30.(if you can find them!)

Posts: 7 | Location: Not near you | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I know its wicked bad how this is happening. Expect to see ammo costs go up and inflation to explode Frowner( that's if Obma dosnt get his way on this attacks at gun owners and rights.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
James, I buy Aguila subsonics on line for $27.00 and $3.00 shipping per 500. Midway sells individual boxes. Jim

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:
James, I buy Aguila subsonics on line for $27.00 and $3.00 shipping per 500. Midway sells individual boxes. Jim

where? SSS or just caps?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
10/22 Using Eley 40g hollow points great for rabbit head shots or splashing rats in the geese pens, no noise if using a moderator excepting a good thwack on bullet strike, just have to keep cleaning out the beeswax lube! Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where I could get some of the Aguila Sniper Sub-Sonics in Canada? I'm in NE British Columbia, if that helps.

Davis

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Found some small boxes and a large case of Rem-sub's at Jims's Gunshop in Windslow Maine and he was asking damn near 50bucks!
So far he is the only one in the area with anything in stock of anything powder bullets and loaded ammo.
AND YES PRIMERS!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tried some Remington Subsonics today, and while they might have been a bit quieter, I really didn't think there was much difference. What I really noticed was, wow do they STINK! I never smelled burned powder that was so foul, they smelled just like cat piss! Maybe they're just for shooting downwind.

Accuracy was about the same as WW Super-X, and they did manage to cycle a 10-22 about 80% of the time.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nzsr
posted Hide Post
Apart from when there is a great deal on cheap plinking ammo I exclusivly use subsonic's.

These are fired through a suppressor, although apart from the advantage of quieter shooting there seems to be no practical difference in killing power between these and supersonic ammo.

Posts: 27 | Location: Kiwi by birth,Norway for work | Registered: 21 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Steve Latham's Eley findings. My 10/22 hated just about everything I tried except Eley and CCI (both HP subs). Eley won over on consistancy.

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver B4 scoped Remington Nylon 11 22 bolt action for CCI CB ammo works great on vermin.

posted Hide Post
Subsonics are the standard pest contol round in a 22LR over here. Normally used with a sound moderator they are effective to about 60 yards on a 50 yard zero after which you have to think about the drops.
I use a semi custom 10/22 fitted with a Shilen barrel and an AMT/Theoben (AMT Lightening?), both cycle fine but you must use grease free ammo on the AMT from Lapua or Eley. The Shilen is less sensative but the grease on Winchesters makes them missfeed after maybe 70 rounds due to grease build up in the chamber.

A

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had only mediocre rsults from the aguilla sss 60 grn on cats, body hits meant chaseing them down for multipul shots, where as a good hivel HP was a dead cat.
I do use cb caps for trying to shoot several blackbirds from a string on the barn roof before they fly off. I have a very accurate win 69 with a 25" barrel that is silent with them.

posted Hide Post
I use the PMC Moderator quite a bit, and it is super for use on cottontails or jacks.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

Glock 17, 19, 20. FNP9, Taurus 85UL
S&W 60, 66, 686, 40, Model 36 Chief's Special
AZ Desertrat is offline Reply With Quote

Posts: 9 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: 21 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use subsonic Winchester .22LR hollowpoints in my backyard for armadillo's. They are quiet and get the job done. I usually get complete penetration, so I either line them up with a tree behind them or shoot them from our 2nd story balcony.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote