Find
Notify
Tools

Fox hunting - is it ethical?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
My sister, who is a bunny-hugger, sent me this one.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt birds, so I let foxes walk. Usually enjoy watching them go through the woods when hunting groundhogs in the Summer.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That fella is a good shot! BOOM
Actually I try to shoot every fox I can. No one traps anymore and our population has exploded here. Many, many of them have mange and I have seen many sick ones with other diseases. My dog caught mange by going into the field where a fox traveled.
We also lost 42 chickens one year to them.
By the time hunting season gets here, rabbits have also been decreased to the point none can be found.
Fox were a lot larger and healthier when trapping paid good money.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
+1 bfrshooter

Fox hunting is good for everybody exept the hunted fox. Most of all the remaining foxes.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, it is ethical!

I know some people don't like it, but around here bobcats, coyotes, feral cats and dogs, foxes and wild hogs are targets of opportunity.

Posts: 144 | Location: East MS | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cohannon
posted Hide Post
Where I come from foxes are public enemy No 1. I've regularly passed up on a deer for an opportunity to grass a fox.

Posts: 90 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
yes it is, just like any type of hunting it helps to keep predators and prey in check. We screwed up the balance in the first place now its up to us to help it along.
Fox make for great hunting and if you dont plug em with anything too big they are great to skin and tan. Shoot it with you 300 wm and there will be nothing left of it! Eeker

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope they keep guns away from deer and hogs!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in southeastern NY, I used to enjoy calling them in, in the last 10 years Coyotes have nearly completely pushed them out of the wilder areas into the outskirts of towns (where you cannot hunt them) whenever I see one in the wild now I pass up the shot. I am fighting the coyotes as much as I can, I would love to see the foxes make a comeback, but they wont without the help of hunters, they are too smart.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cohannon:
Where I come from foxes are public enemy No 1. I've regularly passed up on a deer for an opportunity to grass a fox.

+1! That's just standard around here... Cool

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is fox hunting ethical. I would have to say absolutely. About as much fun as anything else you can do with your pants on. We seem to have a lot of grey fox on our deer lease in concan texas. I have taken four in the last few months while calling. I have shot them with 22 hornet, 221 fireball and 17 rem. All have been called in within 40 yds. I am going to try my 17 hmr next due to pelt damage.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the fox was a wise old animal, but I notice they all shoot push feed rifles as opposed to control feed rifles..pretty stupid on there part, but maybe they don't hunt dangerous game? clap moon

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tough call. While they are hard on the pheasants and rabbits, they do help keep the cat population down. Big Grin

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very much so. You should take your sister fox hunting.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Of course it is. If hunting fox wasn't ethical they wouldn't have invented the .17 Rem. Big Grin

Lou

p.s. love the picture!!!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tuffteddyb
posted Hide Post
sure hope fox huntin is ethical cuz if not my wife is in deep doodoo!
one was after her chickens and her old 308 with 180's sure blew a hole threw the fence and still got the fox!
it was beauuutiful!
made me proud.told me was easier to fix the hole than was to replace the chicken!

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Geedubya

We have alot of redfox on our property here in Sweden - i saw that you have FOXPRO - Tell me something about that - is it a good one, im thinking of buying one.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over here the govt poison them by the thousands,put bounties on them ,your foxes must be tougher as you guys say they keep the cats down dosent happen around here they just snarl at one another and pass on by.

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
delete double post

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Ethical requisites for Fox lamping, .223 rem /52gn A-max or 40gn Nosler, over 24.8 gns N133, head or boiler room out to 200, completely ethical for me! Wink OH!, I forgot the lamp minimum 500 beam. wave

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Just made things more comfortable/ethical for me!, Nice solid plyboard platform full length/width on my Landrover ally canopy, now I can lay down in complete comfort, @ a real nice hight for those "difficult" shots ! (Gotta be the fastest high seat around here!) Cool

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sako.
posted Hide Post
shooting foxes is one of my favourie passtimes

Posts: 36 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sako.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 36 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
My pup says it is!! She is a Foxhound.[URL=

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
He's gonna get one hell of a scope cut.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,is that a Kimber of Oregon rifle I see,third picture down? Wink

Posts: 88 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Namibiahunter[/QUOTE]

That guy is GOOD!And,from an open bolt! dancing

Posts: 88 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shoot it with you 300 wm and there will be nothing left of it! Eeker

Well.....almost nothing left of it Big Grin BOOM

My brother in law blasted one last winter with his 300 wm, there was still at least half of it left! fishing

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
. Well I finally got around to testing the 7mm WSM on Ramshot Magnum powder today, the original idea was to take Potman (Steve) for a bit of a walk around & have a look for the Canada's to blat with the .223's, Just got into the quarry & what a sight, around 80 of them pathering over the re instated area, I slowly halted the Landy, switched off & got Steve on the front wing....crack, one nice fat goose to help fill out the game pie!& the rest take the hint & leave, double result! So something to fill in the time till dusk when lamping can commence, up with the targets ,out with the chrony & on with the can,starting load 71.0 grains under a Nosler BT 140gn, 9 rounds & 4fps variation later for a 2800 fps reading, four rounds almost inseparable, the other five very tight in close, primers were looking a little flattened, so will back off 0.02 grains & have another shoot, a quick look through the bore, no signs of dirty burning & nice clean obturation on the necks, so pack up & go to the farm with the unwelcome visitor, after a few sweeps with the lamp here she comes, just whisperering to Steve, wait , wait, OK 200, next time she stops........crack, early bath!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will spend many a night this coming winter with a spotlight,shotgun and 222 driving around a padock of lambing ewes to keep the foxes away.
they are a pest here and a bullet is a lot more humane than than 1080 poison.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you refering to the call, lamping and shooting type of fox hunting.

Or the traditional hunting with a pack of hounds and with the hunt staff and hunt members following on horse back.

I have no problem with either method. The first is far more efficient, and the second is far more fun. I do both.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In PA we need our license displayed in the middle of our back. Wouldn't be legal in PA, so probably would fall outside of ethical. Wink I agree with Ted, he's gonna need a couple stitches above that eye. He needs to get that stock cut off and learn the proper technique for working a bolt rifle, including keeping your paws off the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Since he has no visible license, I'll bet he skipped out on his hunter safety course. Shame on him.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote