Find
Notify
Tools

New DGR rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey boys,
22 mag took a good bump riding in the field rover the other day, and as luck would have it, I spied dangerous game no more than 70 yards from camp.
The only thing I had that was capable of that shot, that would'nt wake the natives, was a trusty old 5mm remington.
I acquired it 5-6 months ago along with 2 boxes of ammo.(which we all know are worth their weight in gold.)
I centered the 4X Redfield and let fly.
Even with such a thick mane, I had blood within 10 yards along with bone fragments. I am impressed. That lion flipped backwards and made it 25 yards to thick cover, to an eternal dirtnap.
Why don't they make that ammo anymore is beyond me.....
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
The 5mm Remington was a noted lion killer in the early days of its introduction. It was well thought of as "LION MEDICINE" regarding landfill panthers, ranch cougars, and the smaller but extremely dangerous lap lynx. It was hailed by adventure writers and gun magazine touts as fully equivalent in killing power to the .270, the 300 H&H, and even, the 600 NE, on all sub-species of felines. In those early days of the sport only true conservationists and dedicated accuracy fans pursued the sport, and of course the lion problem was not as pervasive as it is now, as our population was closer to the land and more aware of the dangers of excess cats, and wolves too. At the time, thousand of pages of sporting magazines were filled with nearly endless speculations about the awesome 5mm bullet, powder, and primer, some even going so far as to break the cartridges down for lab analysis. The gun factories couldn't keep up with the demand, gave up, and started making magnums in an effort to switch the focus of the shooting public. A terrible kicking rifle just had to be "better". And it worked. Everyone got magnumitis. Now, 30 years later, they don't make the ammo because of the huge capital and PR investment in 338's, 416's, and the like. Now both of us know why they don't make the ammo for argueably, the best lion gun ever made. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll drink to that! And sad to say there is more to the story.

Some years back John Barsness wrote an article in one of the gun rags about the B29, a wildcat he developed during a time frame previously undisclosed. I can now reveal the WHOLE TRUTH. Before the 5mm rem. was born, came the B29. The "B" is obvious, but the 29 comes from caliber/bullet weight and charge. I cannot disclose...aw hell, 29 grams and 29 ounces. There, now you know. Coupled with a double wasp waist shank and a Wicosonnie ogive on the bullet, it actually accelerated inflight because of interfactometry of solar energy as quantified by AE=1/2*4[Co-Tan]XMC*8/TXS. It was a killer! Because of a warp in the continuum generated by the .29 caliber at velocities >Mach32 they simply vanished beyond 3000 yards. TOF was 1 x 10^-20 at that distance. It didn't have any recoil either!

What this has to do with the 5mm is this: Folks had difficulty figuring a trajectory that went up instead of down. Remington ask John what to do and in a fit of whimsey he said, "Add 1, divide by 6 and fire for effect!" They pondered that for a long time at Big Green. A real long time. Then one day a fellow that used to work for Savage heard about the problem and said, "Ain't no riddle John gave you, it's a formula." Thus was the 5mm Rem. born. Somewhere along the way it is suspected that Klingon spies entered into the production picture, the rest is history.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.FreeOn.Bail

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't want to share your meds with another old scout, would you?

Please?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, it's Madiera with an Anisette chaser.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.DontDo.IT!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much better! Now I understand your formula, and understand how reverse ballistics work.

I'm falling up right now.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep the 5mm Rem MAYBE this will help
www.jamescalhoon.com
wrench

Posts: 17 | Location: N.Calif | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote