New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missed a rare opportunity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shoulda packed up my Beretta and some #6 for some pass shooting down in Punta Gorda when Charley came through. I wonder how much wind it takes to blow a cat off a wooden fence? Or from the inside of a double wide... Well, I'll know better next time! I'll just bet that 140 mph cats be tougher than the 8 station on a breezy day!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.DontBotherYelling.Pull

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thinkin Dan Its an ill wind.....

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I saw two flat cats in the middle of the road on the way in to work today.

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear that is how the "Frisby" came to be invented! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And they were too flat to go "bump" in the dark too.

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...and on your moonlight night you got your dead toad frogs!

Ya know, it's a shame the rest of the world is clueless about roadkill. Well, most of the rest of it anyway...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.StinkinTo.HighHeaven

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This morning at oh-dark-thirty, on the way to work, I heard the scanner cackle with a caller reporting she biffed a deer and it disabled her truck.

Sounds like it would be a right tender piece of venison.

I don't run over toads or frogs, I drive around them. Skeeter eaters don't deserve to be thinned out. I need as many of them as possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
140 MPH cats would be tough targets indeed, as well as quite dangerous to hunt. Adds a whole new dimension to the requirements of a "stopping cartridge". Hmmm. . . .

It's not just the wind though, but what the wind blows. My dad just weathered the storm down there and said that lemons, oranges and grapefruits moving at 140 were penetrating the exterior house walls. Many houses were badly damaged merely by organic projectiles. I hear the natives try to shake the coconuts down before the storm hits, too.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Ed,,do osage orange grow in fla.?

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ed,,do osage orange grow in fla.?

Dunno Clay, I've always seen them grown as small indoor ornamentals. I'll ask dad next e-mail out, he was raised in upper FL/lower AL, lived here for a good while and then retired to the Port Charlotte area.

The fruit would be about the right size needed for popular small game, though, now that you mention it. . . .

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with Osage Orange down here, but WTF do I know?

On the subject of organinc projectiles, I'd not considered the hazard of flying fruits. That could be especially hazardous in Key West and Coconut Grove. Locals do trim coconuts though, and I know of a house that had an uninvited 50# sea bass come inside on Guam back in '62. Stop signs can be a special thrill...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.OddJobs.Inspiration