New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabbit diseases in Europe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This was brought up on a previous thread. I found some info that may be beneficial.

"The greatest force behind the decline of Oryctolagus cuniculus has been two diseases that appeared in the 20th century. Myxomatosis is a South American virus, primarily spread by insect (mosquito and flea) vectors, that was intentionally introduced by a farmer in the mid 1950s in France to control the rabbit population (Angulo and Cooke 2002). An estimated 90% of European rabbits have perished due to myxomatosis since the 1950s (Virgos et al. 2005). After symptom onset, death results in an average of 13 days (Ward 2005). Rabbits with the virus are made more vulnerable to predators (Villafuerte et al. 1995). Juveniles are more susceptible to myxomatosis than adults. Myxomatosis cases peak during early summer to fall (Angulo 2004).

Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease (RHD) is a virus that appeared in Europe in the late 1980’s, initially causing the death of 55-75% of rabbits in the Iberian peninsula (Villafuerte et al. 1995). RHD is primarily spread by direct contact. Death typically results within 24 hours of symptom onset, with a short incubation time of under 48 hours (Villafuerte et al. 1995). Adult rabbits are more susceptible to RHD than juveniles (unlike myxomatosis), and RHD is more prevalent in late winter and spring (Angulo 2004). Global warming may increase disease incidence by creating a warmer, drier climate in Spain and Portugal (Ward 2005)."

Source: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/41291/0

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have been in Germany a year. I have yet to see a rabbit. I see hares almost daily.

From 2003-2005 I was in Spain, saw rabbits daily lived in Andalucia near Cadiz.

From 2005-2007 I was in Italy, lived near Syracusa in Sicily, ran over about 8 or 9 rabbits a week driving to work.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I co-moderate an air gun forum based in the U.K. In the hunting section, hunters frequently post pictures of rabbits they shot infected with myxie. Apparently it is common there, at least in certain parts of England.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote