THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    If at first you don't suceed.......

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If at first you don't suceed.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As there is no hunting report section for Small Game, I guess this goes in this forum. As I indicated in a previous post, I used to be a PH assigned to "cropping" work for yard leopards in the rural area where my wife's parents lived. On one of my weekly patrols I returned to my inlaws house to discover a large yard leopard next to the back door. I selected my DGR of choice for this work, a .22 Colt Huntsman pistol with LR HPs. With reckless regard for my safety and closing to a dangerous distance, 2 feet, I aimed downward and fired right between the threatning eyes. In a flash the yard leopard was off in flight. So convinced was I that I was witnessing a miracle with a "dead" yard leopard running off,( reminds me of the Cajun and the ducks ) I failed to follow-up. As the animal was not sighted for at least three weeks, I was prepared to demand the bounty reward. However, about 1 month later the beast reappeared. Aiming to finish what I had started ( and collect the bounty) I returned. Only this time I was prepared for a follow-up if necessary. Same gun, same distance, same aim point, same effect.(well, not quite same effect as he had no chance to recover) As the leopard was fleeing I swiftly caught up with him and, moving with him in aim, fired the follow-up shot. A horrible noise resulted. I can still hear it at night: the sound of a .22 lead bullet rolling around inside of an expensive commercial milk can. Yes the leopard had cunningly used the milk can for cover for his retreat. And I, swinging to make sure of the shot, had fired as he went behind the can. My father in law was amused, but I sufferred the shame of embarassment.
Rest of the story: I saw the yard leopard seek refuge in the upper hay storage area of the barn. Committed to the " you shoot, you follow up" ethic, I obtained a flash light and crept into the upper reaches of the barn. Fearful of attack at any moment, I saw those beady eyes caught in the glare of the light. This time I finished him off but with a pass through the rib cage and a slight ( .22 calibre ) hole in the tin roof. Post mortem revealed that the first shot had indeed hit where aimed but deflected off the hard skull of the yard leopard down through the mouth. Beast recovered. 2 nd shot same effect.
LESSON: heads of yard leopards and lawn panthers are extremely hard and may deflect lead bullets. Next time use solids. Helpful Hint: use enought gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rebird, I have something to add to your chilling tale, but first I have to take some drugs. The memories are dark. Good job on the follow up!

I edit from my chair:

Skelaxon is pretty groovy stuff.

On the subject of errant holes in roofs, I knew a fella that had bats in the attic(but not limited to), and he decided that a 20 Ga would do fine with "bird shot". Well, he was the MAYOR of the town, I wasn't. Personally I always looked at #6 as the right stuff for squirrel and rabbit, maybe the odd cat, but never in life would I discharge a load of ANY gauge #6 in my attic or yours! Mayor Duffus did, and now he knows why I don't. Funny part is he didn't hit a single damn bat!

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.Pharmaceutical.Dan

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan, Skelaxon works much better if accompained by a tall glass of Jack Daniels, and in intractable cases, codeine.
I have decided the drug companies put warnings against alcohol consumption with their drugs because they don't want you to find out how well the combo works. Can I assume back trouble or is that too personal? I myself am a recovered back cripple.
After surgery can do anything I want but always have the malady as a backup excuse for those things I don't want to do.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Core-loks in 303 Brit are fairly reliable too.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not 18 anymore. Or 28,38, etc. etc. Now I just humped 22 tons of rip-rap last month without damage, but 10 minutes on an ax chasing a half dozen palmettos was an aerobic I apparently didn't need. I was certain there was a damn grey tabby in there somewhere! You think Sam Colt was my age when he put down the ax and started making revolvers? Somehow I see harmony in the idea of a six shooter in a barn full of cats, you think he was ONE OF US???

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.SixGunsAnd.CatDanceFever

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote