Find
Notify
Tools

Help!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted
I am pretty sure that this will be considered to be off topic, but I have learned in my old age to seek help form the smartest folks I can find!

I have a plastic spray unit (25 gal.) that does not have a drain. When I change chemical types it is a real pain to take it off the 4-wheeler and wash it out and try to get all the stuff out so that I can do another type. Anybody know of a good way to install a drain of some type?

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is that High Tech Redneck? Confused

Have patience WM, if nobody else knows the HTRN will pick up on this sooner or later.

I know how to drain it myself, but am uncertain of the best method for plugging a hole(s). Sealing polyethelene or polypropelene tanks takes more than bubble gum. Frowner

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.GetA.BiggerField?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine uses an expansion plug. You can get them at any hardware store. Get a 5/8 or 3/4 plug and drill a hole on the bottom side of tank.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Mine has two lines that come off the valve controls, it not only drains but comes out under pressure from the pump. All you need to do is put two "Y" fittings in the line and cap the discharge lines so they don't leak when sprayinf

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
First take care of any cat problems you may have. Then Follow Elkman #2's advice.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
The fact that this of off topic can be rectified by the addition of the phrase "when I shoot cats" somewhere in the post. It is more convincing when you add the phrase to the actual issue that you want to discuss, thus:

...but I have learned in my old age to seek help form the smartest folks I can find [when I shoot cats]!

may give the impression that you want to know the proper way to ask for advice on matters such as how to install a drain on your spray tank. You may get several replies on how to ask for advice, but might not get any on the issue at hand. However:

I have a plastic spray unit (25 gal.) that does not have a drain [when I shoot cats].

tells everone what the real issue is and the importance of remedying the situation. You may even consider putting it in your signature just to be safe, but at the very beginning so as to allow it to appear as part of the post. You would seem pretty silly to write:

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky [hwen i shtoo ctas]?

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
45, I can see the logic of your reply. I have just finished a project which has put the neighborhood crats in the palm of my hand. Home made caller, constructed of Johnny Stewart speaker, Nady 351 lavalier microphone as a remote, Minaska amplifier, iRiver 800 mp3 player as sound source, and downloaded sounds from Ratdie.com, filtered via Goldwave for purest quality, all housed in an old shotgun shell carrier. Must give dredit where due, picked this idea up at http://www.predatormastersforums.com.

Set this about 20 yards from my carport, ease into the sound of mice and rats at play, and every kitty not inside a house will come to it, (and the decoy made from an Easter bunny with a weasel ball from Cracker barrel inserted). Perched on the top of my attic access, (16', with shooting rail all around) my weapons of choices are, my bow, and my Browning T bolt .22. My problem is, the crats slink in along the top edge of a ditch that runs the full length of my back yard. Green briers grow from the bottom of the ditch, providing cover, and making it really hard to retrieve my arrows, which are pass throuhgs. I need to save time for shooting crats instead of taking my sprayer off the 4-wheeler and washing it out after spraying the briers and prior to spraying my pecan trees for bag worms. Sorry I was not more clear.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Excellent use of the forum WM. I can think of no better use of this forum than gleaning ideas for saving time to use crat-whackin'!

Whatever you do, drill your hole away from a seam, and closest to a flat area as possible. Seams tend to be weak, and more curved areas are harder to seal.

Are you a boater? Go down to your local West Marine, Boaters World, etc. and get a fitting for a baitwell drain or a through hull fitting. They are resonably tough and should handle the chemicals, but like a reasonably flat surface to seal. Pookey (technical term) it up really well with RTV silicone or 5200 caulk. The right fittings are threaded, but the most common are barbed for sliding on a hose&clamp. Add a valve, and you have it under control. The only drawback is that it wil stick out several inches, begging to get caught and broken off, and if not in the bottom will leave an inch or so undrained. Both are managable issues, IMHO.

I would not recommend a simple 'hole and plug' because the plugs usually available are cheap rubber and will not withstand the chemicals most of us put through sprayers.

Get ye' back to crat whackin'!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Thanks CDH, that is what i am looking for. I have the sprayer mounted on a carry tray attahced to the 4-wheeler via receiver hitch, that way I back up, pull the pin and drop it off. Slide the scabbard into the carrier mounted on the front rack, and be field lion hunting very quickly. V-rest mounted on the handle bars makes for a very effective mobile shooting platform on my own ground.

Would like to center the drain as much as possible, and added benifit would be I could lenghten the pick up tube, drop it into the new drain tube and pump out more of the chemical, win-win situation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LongColt, just about pissed my shorts on that one, good job! clap roflmao

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Porplery.Ausmnig

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
At least I am trainable, and can take good direction!

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Stay away from "boat plugs" as they don’t hold up to chemicals OR PRESSURE very well.
(AND they don't kill crats)

If you have a hydraulic hose and supply store close, you can get a bulkhead fitting (usually used for hydraulic accumulator tanks) that has a female pipe thread (1/4"NPT or 3/8"NPT, they also come MUCH bigger) accessible from the outside (to connect the return hose to).
All you have to do is drill a suitable hole in the tank, put the fitting in, screw on the outside seal, and put your pipe plug in.

They are usually made out of SS or brass and are pretty HD.
They mount in a relatively flat area best, but tell the guy what you are using it for and if he knows his stuff, can probably find the best one for you (so you can kill more crats).

Better yet, take the tank with you. That might give him a better idea what to use.

I used to make hydraulic hoses (kill crats) in a previous life. This was an everyday type question.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worriedman, as far as your "dead zone" problem where the cats are able to get underneath your beaten zone of fire, again, I bring back those three words

"Front Towards Enemy".

Just rig your claymores around the base of your house (You may want to reinforce the walls right there just a titch, and keep the "clackers" handy, with some kind of method of identifying which is which. Colors or nice, but don't work good under duress or at night. Maybe you can just peg them down to a board in positions relative to which side of the house they are.

(Just trying to be helpful)

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Where is that High Tech Redneck? Confused

Have patience WM, if nobody else knows the HTRN will pick up on this sooner or later.

My ears are burning. Musta set my hair on fire again...

Now as to yer problem, here's a good solution.

Go to homedepot/Lowes plumbing dept and get yerself a flange where the body is threaded, a locknut, a ball valve, some orings and some teflon tape.

I would suggest making it kinda small so that the curve of the container plays a lesser role in leaks.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the tank, insert said flange into the hole with an oring on it, flange side on the inside. put on the lockring with another oring between it and the tank on the outside. tighten 'er up. It may leak - you may have to resort to silicone to get it to stop, try doubling up the number of orings first.

Now, at this point, you should have a threaded fitting sticking out the bottom of your tank, apply some teflon tape and install the ball valve, and yer done.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just remember to drain all the nasty stuff into a cat dish to provide terminal nutrients for crats. A dead fish will get them to eat almost anything, including your "drainings".

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
LongColt, just about pissed my shorts on that one, good job!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

Thanks DD, I guess I was on a roll the other night. This is such an inspiring forum!

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote