New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 WSSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a Browning A-Bolt a couple of weeks ago in 25 WSSM, and was wondering if anybody out there has one or has worked up a load.....

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are honored that you would come to this forum for advice Mr. MB, but there are scads of Luddites here, and we may not get around to buying one of those rockets for another 25 years or so. I have read that the cartridge approximates the 25-06 in velocity, which is to say that a .257 Roberts that is well fed is in the neighborhood as well. That is something I have some experience with, and though I cannot suggest load data I will give free advice on bullets. The 75 VMAX and/or 85 Ballistic Tip will give cats the vapors! Actually, what I meant to say is that they will vaporize a cat, magnum cum laude, if you get my drift. Maybe something around 3500 fps and they go "poof". Or is it "Whop!"? My hearing isn't what it used to be. Did that one day with an 85 BT at 400 yards or so. Even Aunt Tabby said it was a pretty fair shot.

1/4 bores and Ballistic Tips go together like marriage and attorneys. An indespensable combination!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.RedMist.AtDawn

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I think you are right Dan. I have long held the belief and voiced the opinion that as the field skills and marksmanship qualities of those who come after have rarely developed to the levels of those who came before, the commercial answer has been the magnum. I see it in the hunt clubs and at the range. I see guys wanting to chat about some exotic magnum but who are unable to sight in an iron sighted .22, or understand the principles by which scopes operate (externally & internally). They are unable to mechanically zero a scope! Although not thrilled with some of the bluster of the old famous riflemen, I still admire their proven shooting and hunting qualifications. It seems to me that the latest magnums are marketing and PR designed and driven, rather than target or field driven, like most of the African calibers, and things like the 300 H&H, Roberts or .35 Remington. Some Luddites will never buy such magnum things, knowing like you do that 300 extra fps of velocity and the related extra blast, kick, and expense does not ensure the trophy. Oh yeah, we still give advice on the magnums, but it is sell, sell, sell.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than the .22 long rifle, I don't think anyone has improved upon the 25-20, in it's low-powered "garden gun" version.

What kind of small game does one shoot with a .25 WSSSSSSSM, anyway?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why 120mm, you use them to shoot pussssssssssycatssssss in the earsssssssssss! That's what all those "S's" stand for, "Shoot, Shovel, Shoot, Shovel, Shoot, Shovel".

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.SSSSSSS.SSSSSSS

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exsssssssssssssellent!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do own and handload for several 22-250's but got the 25 WSSM on a trade, with a couple of extra dollars, for a .270. I'm starting to wish I had gotten a .243 instead because it is hard as heck to find anything on this new rifle/cal.....

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello MB525: Do your own data. Get an empty 25-06, 257 WM, and factory 25 wssssm. Drop tube some 4831 in all three to the shoulder junction, several times so as to get a good idea of a little less than full useable case capacity. Weigh it. All three operate at least at similar pressures per unit of volume/weight of charge. The actions have similar strengths. Make notes. Study data on the 25-06 and 257 WmM. Break down a factory whizzer for a look. Figure a proportional load for where the the new 25 whizzer fits in by weight or volume. Make one up and fire it. Like figureing out how 250-300, 257 R and 25-06, 257WM line up given a few facts you know or can find. Good shooting.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second that. When you find a reference point drop down about 5% and go. BTW, regardless of our nose-in-the-air attitude about the new crop of Shoot&Shovel Magnums, the .25 bore is vastly superior to the 6mm for everything. Do not be bummed about your circumstance, but rather, REJOICE! Even a new fangled cartridge is okay by me in truth, and in 100 years or so, after it is properly aged...

On a more practical and direct path, you might give Hodgdon a call. I'm sure they have data, even if it's not on their web site.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.KindSoothing.Counsel