Find
Notify
Tools

Small game hunting memories
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
It had snowed for several days in a row with blowing wind so there were drifts rather deep as we drove in the hay field to get to the neighbors woods On this bright calm sunny day.

I really like the Jacksons woods as they have hard woods, Oak, Maple Beech and some Ash. They have did some selective cutting in a few areas so they made neat piles of brush here ant there as they cut the tops up for fire wood. The woods also provide cedar fence post for the farm. Having just two daughters and Mister Jackson on the road driveing a semi no one else hunts it.

We depart the Jeep and slip thru the fence into the hard woods to come to a brush pile. I had won the honor of getting to climb up on the first one and start jumping on the springy pile. Over the months since small game season opened we have learned that the cotton tails like the brush piles and where they run when we jump on them.

I had hardly gotten on top of the pile when the first rabbit came tearing out of that quaking pile. As the shot from Robs 12ga Ithaca SXS hit it we had #1 for the pot.
We thread our way thru a Barry brier patch to have a couple flush ahead of us by inches giving us both heart attacks. We recovered from heart failure to collect them both. Hey we should not miss at this point we had spread several hundreds pounds of shot shooting clays at the farm. Some near the end would come from behind the barn to hit the open area you didn’t know where. You could hear the Red Deivil trap as it released and you could get a running rabbit type of clay, a skinner just above the ground or a high flying double.

Next was a weird pond shaped around a island but a narrow spot where you could walk to the island. Part of the island was covered in a knee deep grass that now with the snow was bent over providing hiding spots for wascally rabbits. We slowly walk thru the grass area and hit the high dry area where the winter green berries grow. As expected several pats flushed again from under our feet so we suffered another heart attack but recovered to get one each.

Turn around and leave the island to reach another brush pile. This time it is Robs turn to climb up on the pile and jump up and down. A pair of rabbits come running out and I fire my Ithaca model 37 feather weight shot gun. I quickly pump a second round in the chamber and fire to see a second rabbit come to a rolling stop. We hit 3 more brush piles and Rob gets two more rabbits. We work back around to the hard woods and clear off a patch of ground and sit for a while about 45 minutes total and got 4 squirrels then a shot 10 some yards we are back at the jeep.

Drive to the house and clean the game take two of he rabbits and cut them up and drive them down the road to give Mrs Jackson. Mrs Is my other mother yet to this day.
I had went there one day after a snow storm and blew the snow from her drive way with the big tractor and snow blower. She paid in coffee as I am setting at the kitchen table company came. Mrs Jackson asked Have you met my son.
I had been adopted since that day.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler lovely story!