New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird Squirrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I saw a strange squirrel .We have greys here and an occasional black .But Until today I never saw a grey with a blonde tail !! Confused Has anyone seen such a squirrel ,or heard of one ? Or was this one hanging around a hair dresser ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one or two in my traps over the last 10 years. I've also shot a fox with a black tail.

We also had several non albino white foxes shot this last 6 months here in the UK. Nature has a funny way about her at times.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jools , I just remembered that the UK has lots of American grey squirrels.
Here ,NY state , we have grey ,the smaller red and even flying squirrels. There is a fairly common black phase grey .Lots of whitetailed deer and black bear too.
When I asked people here they gave me a strange look ! Thanks for your comments.

One of Us
Picture of BB3
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's some type of cross breed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pied or pie bald squirrel as in partially white ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an albino gray squirrel. This recessive trait has managed to stay within the squirrel gene pool for the two decades I have been in this neighborhood.

I took this picture of one in my front yard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool picture.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
Posted before, but here it is again. A piebald Fox Squirrel. I saw several that year in various locations. Haven't seen one since.

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well this morning I saw a white squirrel for the first time .I was a bit confused as it was still dark ,just before it started to get light .BTW what time do squirrels get up ??

posted Hide Post
I've seen,and killed(gray squirrels)gray,black,and mixed.....gray w/black,or white patches,and nearly all white w/gray,or black patches(we call them paints),but I've never seen a true albino(other than pictures).
As for the time squirrels get up?I've seen squirrels active at the strangest times.Sometimes squirrels will feed all night long(I've seen them at 2am-3am),or late into the night(8pm-12am).I personally think this has alot,if not all to do with weather fronts,and moon phases.....maybe both?(they will stay active late with lots of moonlight).That said....they normally get active just before dawn,and retire to their dens just before,or after dusk.They're fun to hunt,and great to eat....ain't nothing like squirrel,and gravy over home made biscuits.

D.P.Reynolds

Posts: 19 | Location: The best country on earth,and damn near the worst state....Maryland.....it is below the Mason-Dixon line....but not by much! | Registered: 20 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
The nocturnal squirrel was probably a flying squirrel.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been fortunate to put three piebald on the ground. Took them to the taxidermist yesterday. Now to get a grey fox to go along with them.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote