Find
Notify
Tools

Re: I'm Bbbbaaaccckkk!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Trophy pussy is to be enjoyed, cherished, etc., not measured.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I'm running Norton Coporate edition and I still got hit bad - AdAware found something like 500 objects in my machine on two passes and I'm still having problems. When I get some money, I'm gonna spring for a couple of firewalls, both hardware and software. This is just getting ridiculous.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
been my experience so far that Ad-Aware is not your best bet, try "Spy-bot Search and Destroy" works for me.
free
low_tech

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Upgraded to AdAware SE and it found another 40 or so objects that 6.0 missed. The box is behaving almost normal at this point. I'm still gonna do another reinstall, but for now, it's mildy erratic behavior is tolerable. I did learn a few things though:

1.) Storing your files on your hard drive is a bad idea
2.) Saving said files(almost 20 gigs) is a world class pain in the ass.
3.) An external hard drive is the way to go for file storage.
4.) Setting your security settings to "black helicopter"paranoia levels is just barely adaquete
5.) Norton AntiVirus is running on it's name and not on actual performance of the product.
6.) Default settings in Explorer are an open invitation to invasion.
7.) Firewalls are mandatory.
8.) The lifespan of a hacker is directly proportional to how long it takes for me to get my hands around his neck.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UhHuh, agree with all 8 revalations ! Still suggest you try SpySweeper or SpyBot Search and Destroy, they remove AND block the return of this crap. Not sure about the version of AdAware you are using , but the free version removes spyware, but does not block its return, and it WILL return. Also suggest you run those programs in Safe Mode, they are more able to remove the garbage then as it is not "active".

Posts: 48 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote