Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subsonic .22
 Login/Join

posted
I know this has been discussed before on this forum, but I could not find it. My problem is I recently moved and discovered I have a cat problem. I tried taking one out with my bow, but that failed miserably since I did not want to use a good broadhead. I hit him good, but he ran to my neighbors yard and before I could dispose of the body it was discovered by his wife. She cannot prove it was me but, she has her suspicions. I need a good subsonic .22 that will be effective and not allow my neighbor to know what I am up to.

Posts: 4 | Location: Pittsburgh,PA | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could, of course, refrain from shooting the neighbor's cat - or at least be man enough to own up to it.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Could not find the discussion? Moved and discovered you have a cat problem? Tried with the bow? Did not want to use a good broadhead? Failed misreably? Neighbor's wife discovered the dead cat in her backyard? Hit him good but he ran? Need a good subsonic .22 that that will be effective and not let your neighbor know what you are up to? Why in birman's name would she suspect you?

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, first of all let me start by saying they are stray cats and if it was my neighbors cat, keep it in the house or some place it is not going to come over and piss on my house. The neighbor suspects me because she knows I am the only one of her neighbors that hunt.

Posts: 4 | Location: Pittsburgh,PA | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
A lot of people talk about the augilla ss,,I think any cb round would do,in all honesty.As you know,crats can be a messy kill,they don't seem to want to die,,,Kind of reminds me of a chicken with it's head cut off I myself use hp air rifles for clandestine operations Good luck,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this too. I've used CB Longs effectively on squirrels in urban environments (my backyard) without the neighbors knowing. Are the newer subsonic rounds using heavier bullets just as quite yet more effective, particularly for larger quarry? Recommendations?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CB caps are pretty quiet , and a plastic soda bottle taped over the muzzle soaks up a lot of the sound also.Did you use a field tip arrow or one of the rubber tipped blunts ? I never shot a cat with one , but we used to hunt rabbits with the blunts and they would stop a rabbit in its tracks whereas broadheads or field tips would let then run quite a way before dropping.

Posts: 48 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was foolish and used a field point, it probably ran 75 yards. I never even though about the soda pop bottle on the end.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You really don't need any suppression with CBs. I'm not sure how you would aim with a bottle over the muzzle anyway. CBs make about as much noise as a pellet gun, at least when fired from a rifle, the main noise is when the bullet hits or ricochets, which can be a problem with CBs, especially when they bounce against the neighbor's house or window. I have a high wooden fence surronding my back yard, most of my shots if they ricochet hit the fence.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Square buckets with 220 Conibears.Baited and placed out of sight.Stray cats just "disappear".Set them out after dark check them early in the A.M. before anybody is up.Be sure to stake the Conibears to something,some of the old Toms flop a bit before taking the dirt nap.Our town has been cat free for months.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
don't shoot field lions with fieldpoints unless you have a desire to make the news.

A Beeman R9 in 20cal knocks the sap out of em and doesn't bark loud either.

per .22 ammo, most all the target and match offerings are subsonic but hollowpoints are rare in these.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote