Notify
Tools

Physics Experiment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted
Just a thought ...

but I have a really big kite at home I bought for my son a couple years back.

I also have a lot of high-strength fishing line, about 1000' feet or so of high strength kite-wire, plus I dunno how much in other forms of ropes, cords, and strings.

I have cats around the area, a couple housecats, and a few residual semi-wild cats next door.

Now, it appears, I'll also have a great deal of wind in the form of Hurricane Dennis coming through my area over the weekend.

I have a couple of hypotheses I'm considering:

1) If I combine a cat, plus high-strength cord, plus my kite, plus major hurricane force winds, can I get that cat off the ground?

2) If so, how high can I get one?

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I'm worried that my kite may not be structurally sound enough to bear the load, so I'm considering reinforcing it with some heavy-duty graphite tent poles, or possibly good fishing poles like an Ugly Stick or something in key load-bearing areas.

Then, I'll just have to make sure not to permanently attach my string to myself anywhere, or I may be the one in for the ride.

I don't want to end up on a Darwin award or anything.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a Ben Franklin type experiment. Fly a kite in a lightning storm and ground it to the crat.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Totally awesome! Advancement of the science. Instant FRITTERS!

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Be real carful.
I have been told ( by my neice) some of the good kite string has fine wire in it .
So flying a kite in a thunderstorm a thrilling game of chance.

I am to many years out of collage to due the math to tell you the needed surface area and wind speed , But try it safly .

AND POST pic if it works

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The required surface area is inverse to wind velocity but structural requirements increase by the square. Use single layer of prepeg Carbon Fiber skin(bi-directional), reduce dynamic loads by increasing dihedral 25%. Boron-Carbon keel and cross arm(.744" Dia.), use 80# single strand SS wire to tension crossarm(bow). If tail(ballast) is needed for stability, attach crat with dacron braid(130#) by neck, minimum displaced position 6.7' below CP reference. Use explosive bolt or solenoid to launch in winds in excess of Crat3 on Saffir-Simpson Scale, use 1/4" bungee to cushion shock to crat or decapitation will result, thus inducing gross dynamic instability in flight platform. Name after Greek or Norse God of choice. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.YankeetownAeronautical.Center

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Boys i'm Back. Picture this. Make a small mouse shaped body from plastic window screen. Give the kite about a 20' tail with the mouse on the end. If its a twin string kite dance the said mouse around near dumpsters, hedges or any likely cat hang out. Wait for one to pounce and yank hard on both strings. This will rocket the kite upward with kittys claws firmly stuck in decoy mouse. Now with enough altitude gained feel free to do a couple of loops and dair I mention the power dive with a crack the whip/tail/cat for a finally.
Look up Kite Fishing its really neat.
Make Kitty Scared

NRA Life Member
PADI Open Water Diver
Padi Advanced Open Water Diver
Elk Dont Know How Many Feet Horses Have!

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there might be some high speed pass shooting in the wind, better go load the over/under.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of people flying kites off of cows tails and getting lightning to strike, that would make a wicked-awesome video!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Hang Gliding we used the 1/1 ratio. 1 square foot for each pound of weight to be lifted including the weight of the aircraft.
Too much weight and you don't glide as well, too much sail and you may never come down. Of course if you were flying over NYC, too much sail WOULD be preferable! Roll Eyes derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The required surface area is inverse to wind velocity but structural requirements increase by the square. Use single layer of prepeg Carbon Fiber skin(bi-directional), reduce dynamic loads by increasing dihedral 25%. Boron-Carbon keel and cross arm(.744" Dia.), use 80# single strand SS wire to tension crossarm(bow). If tail(ballast) is needed for stability, attach crat with dacron braid(130#) by neck, minimum displaced position 6.7' below CP reference. Use explosive bolt or solenoid to launch in winds in excess of Crat3 on Saffir-Simpson Scale, use 1/4" bungee to cushion shock to crat or decapitation will result, thus inducing gross dynamic instability in flight platform. Name after Greek or Norse God of choice. Wink

Yeah wot he said! Eeker

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears that it will be getting a bit breezy up around Pensacola in a bit, my sympathy to those folks up there. Not even 10 months since Ivan and we know a couple that just got back into their rebuilt home a few weeks ago. Frowner 'Tis a sad affair.

On the bright side, given enough wind you might consider adding a couple of Randal blades to the kite and using it as a fighting tool. With energy comes manueverability, with tuna comes crats. It would be an epic scene for a Nicholson film, make sure to use an appropriate double and that he/she gesticulates a lot during the lightning flashes. They can dub in the sound later. thumb Gotta pay for that new roof somehow.

Anyway, it would be nifty to see a crat's tail sail off into the blackness of that awful howling void!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.LifeOnThe.Beaches

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Attach the cat with some kind of remote release. When you get it a couple of hundred feet up, hit the release. Be sure you get video to see if it hits on it's feet.

Posts: 37 | Location: SE WY | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hal, I got your remote release! See my post(s) about "sunshine". thumb

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Hurricane.Party

posted Hide Post
DD How did the hurricane treat you. I know no people were injured or killed, but how about crats?

Posts: 37 | Location: SE WY | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We did fine here in Y'town. Tide came up a bit higher than normal little else of note. I consider it a wake up for Emily, or whatever else is in store down the road. We got a TD and 2 waves in the oven at the moment, rainy windy days ahead. Frowner
Well, on the subject of crats, didn't get to do any pass shooting, wasn't enough wind. thumbdown Maybe next time, one can only hope. Big Grin Feeling sorry for those folks up in P'cola, two in 10 months is bull .

Gotta go, having a hydraulic jack installed under the house so I can raise it about 10' for the next storm surge. That's life in the Windy State! Roll Eyes

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Hurricanes.Blow

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Say, if you get concerned about the weather, I would be more than happy to store the "Special" in my safe for you...really.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate that 45LC, esSPECIALly since there's another heading this way. Perhaps you have a tent to spare as well, for after about 2 dozen of these "jump-thru-the-hoops" endeavors I will grow weary of The Windy State, I'm quite sure.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Refugee.Rigbys

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Well, there is an 10x12 wall tent that I lived in for about 6 months on a job in Ft Payne, I would even build you a floor, as whatever hits you brings rain to me. It is much more effective than trenching.

http://www.HaveGunwillTravel

--J.R.R. Tolkien

--Niels Bohr

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, floors are better. Went thru a typhoon in Nam in a 3 man hex tent...rocket box floors were a fashion trend after that. Smiler Woudl you mind putting in a shooting bench while you're at it, maybe a bait pile too, about 100 yards down the hill? Thanks!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.BreezyDaysIn.ChuLai

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Thougth about it... i could probably get you into an 80 foot trailer in Clanton (kind of the summer place). It is not as secure there as up here, though.

My room is on the end with the screen out of the window. People down the road have dogs, so there are few cats, but if you bring the "Special", you could have a bundle of fun reducing the local 4-wheeler population, I think about doing it all the time.

btw, I was thinking about trying to make it to the historics at Sebring this fall or the next, any travel advice?

--J.R.R. Tolkien

--Niels Bohr

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
How come you guys dont like cats? lol

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3067 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
45LC, I'm firmly in your camp on the 4 wheelers, but in two part harmony FWIW. I figure the machine is just a machine and don't know any better, but the yokels drivin' them be another story. Some are thoughtful and considerate, the rest are racing for first place in the annual Darwin Awards. Mebbe I'll rename Special, call it Darwin's Special. You ever wonder how high a redneck can jump when the gas tank explodes? I do.

Sebring is better than Disney World near as I can figure. Not a lot of sissies there, lots of bawdy babes with stuff hanging out. Sorry, no crats, leave the shootin' irons at home if it is your only destination. Local area has some good bass fishing if you're inclined, canoes or a small john boat puts most within reach. Accomodations are where you find them, no need to get primative. All the hotel chains are represented. I would suggest reservations, just look at the map and pick a town. Further out from Sebring you go, the more plentiful and less expensive. Try to avoid having valuables in the car if you actually go to the race, last time there ours was broken into, lost a camera. Lots of cars, no way to keep an eye on anything. The Hairpin is a good spot to watch, so too are the Esses, the exit on the Big Bend(for 4 wheel drift freaks) and if you can, a ringside seat on the bottom of the N-S staight where it enters the Big Bend. Course was a lot more exciting back in the 60's than today though, the race not complete unless a Porsche or Ferrari rolled thru crowds gathered where they weren't supposed to be. Have fun whenever you go! thumb

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.ListenToEmShiftIn.HarmonyInTheDistance

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal30, it's not that we don't like crats. We HATE them! gunsmile It's normal instinct, not an acquired taste. Big Grin BTW, welcome aboard, you got any crat bustin' stories to share? You ever juggle crats and chainsaws? Confused

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.HearTheCratsScream.AsTheyreStrappedOnGuillotineWhatASceneWhatAScene