New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowshoes abound this year.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Must be an up year in the cycle. Love listening to the hounds.....barooooo barooooo!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That looks like so darned much fun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Northern WI and my dad took my brother and me out most every Saturday with a group of guys running snowshoes in the winter. We always had a beagle or two and there would be a pretty good sized pack of hounds running rabbits through swampy sections that we would surround. The group butchered the rabbits at the end of the day and saved it up till the end of the year. All the meat (couple hundred pounds if I remember correctly) would be taken to a local processor and made into sausage. It was a lot different than venison, more moist, and very good fried for breakfast.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds tasty matt. I eat it mostly in stew but a bud just made some kielbasa with venison and hare combined....I'm still waiting to try it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Banner year so far....12 more yesterday in low single digit temps. Hope y'all are enjoying the deep winter snowy woods as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brings back pleasant and often humorous memories...like the time an excited beagle jumped against all the windows in the car and locked all the doors. Don't remember how dad broke into the car but we made it home without breaking any windows!

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

My grandfather had a beagle that to his pickup once. He had to call my grandmother to bring his a second set of keys to open the door with. To keep things simple the dogs name was beagle.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember one story my dad told of scaring a hare to death. A rabbit was hauling through the pines and he shot every round in his old 870 at it as he saw it here and there through the brush. It ended up heading down a trail straight at him and when it came into the open and saw him the bunny slammed on the brakes. The shotgun went 'click' on an empty chamber and the rabbit fell over dead. When he skinned the rabbit he couldn't find a single pellet hole in the carcass.

Another time I remember standing on a trail next to him listening to the hounds and happened to glance over and saw a rabbit sitting in the trail 5 yards over looking into the woods just like we were. I pulled on dad's pants leg to get his attention and crouched down when he swung the gun over...he got him!.... Man I look forward to introducing my kids to the same experiences I had. Have to find a good beagle in a few more years, our last one passed away last year after 17 years of being the best dog we ever had.

Matt