Find
Notify
Tools

The Mighty .410
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted
Not sure where to actually post this so I apologize in advance if it is the wrong section.

Anyway, I am a huge fan of hunting with the .410 and wanted to share a few memories of great outings with a variety of game taken.

A nice Rio Grande Tom taken with the little side-by-side

Dove hunting in Texas with a broken arm and the little .410

A couple of creek side squirrels that thought they were out of range

My favorite quail gun (Grulla 216RL in .410)

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! At the end of quail season we always have a .410 hunt. Challenging, but loads of fun. Takes a little more skill.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics, I have a soft spot for the .410. Fantastic gun that Grulla!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a nice .410!

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
James, beautiful photos and a lovely side-by-side. I have always believed a .410 double defined the word "finesse."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not as elegant as yours, but I have a Win model 42, 3 inch full chamber and it's one of my favorites. Only gun I have that I know the serial number on. 5 digits and same number frontwards or backwards-----whatever that is called. .410's will reach out there if you can make a tight hold.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the pics. I haven't hunted small game in a few years but, my very first small game animal was with a .410 double.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I learned to hunt upland game and waterfowl with a single shot .410. tu2 Graduated from that to a Browning Auto-5 in 12 gauge. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This thread has been working on me ever since I first looked. Just ordered a CZ Ringneck side-by-side in .410 yesterday.
Thanks again James.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
This thread has been working on me ever since I first looked. Just ordered a CZ Ringneck side-by-side in .410 yesterday.
Thanks again James.

Bill: Congratulations on your new acquisition! I tell ya, the little 410 SxS have a way of bringing a man full circle. I find them fun to shoot and great conversations pieces in the field.

Again, congratulations on a fine purchase.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
James, Really beautiful pictures - especially the gobbler - and a great looking S/S .410.

With no intention to hi-jack you great thread, allow me a post of my .410 (and my youngest son shooting doves in Limpopo Province RSA - a few years ago). A Belgium made, single barrel, folding, hammer .410, also referred to as 'The Poachers Gun' as it was indeed often used by poachers as it folds on itself and can easily be concealed in a trouser leg or inside a coat!

I also have a S/S Watson Bros .410 from 1927 - but no photos.

A great thread, some great pictures and would enjoy learning more about the cartridges you use and other game that you have hunted / taken with your awesome looking .410.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Here's mine. Happy, happy, happy ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the picture. Can't wait to hear stories about birds falling to the shot when the weather cools this fall.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, I've got my eyes open now for a nice SxS 410!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Great pictures, I've got my eyes open now for a nice SxS 410!

Post pictures when you get it! I've got a new 28 gauge coming soon (mid August). Can't wait to share the pics of this one.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
James, what do you think of this? How does the 216 compare with the 215, rounded body?
Grulla410

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun fla3006. Not a .410 but just a nice http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100458749

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt mostly blues in Texas and pheasant, chuckers in Idaho...

Your a better man than I Gunga Din, I shoot a 28, 20,and a 12. I love the 16 ga. but sold it sometime ago.

I'm just not that good with a .410 but I'm not much at shooting shotguns anyway, never practice, and don't hunt with them a whole lot. However, I am getting pretty long in the tooth and may end up shooting a lot more birds than big game before too much longer.

I'd love to own a beautiful little .410 as they are so fine to handle and point and fell like a fwt. double rifle!Smiler Maybe in time and with practice I will buy one and go hunt with it, its been a long time since I shot with a .410.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm hunting in Northern Baja, Mexico from September thru February every year and love the .410. Below is the result of a nice morning with a .410 and a good dog. Just another guy "long in the tooth".

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/holson11/library/

Posts: 16 | Location: Bonita, California | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started out on a bolt action Stevens .410 I have slayed alot of rabbits and squirrels with it over the years it has a really tight full choke I love it its at moms house now but i am hoping soon to get it and add it to my collection its a nice gun.....

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Illinois, United States of America  | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 410 Citori with screw in chokes 26" bbls that I think a lot of. Another one that i'm fond of is a Ruger Red Label in 28ga it's the 50th anniversary model with some gold inlays, it ain't a Parker or a high dollar gun but it'll do.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holson,
I admire your taste in bird dogs, my favorite also. Looks like a better than average hunt!

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Dove season opener in right around the corner! I've got the .410s and 28ga shotguns ready for action.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

posted Hide Post
Stepchild2, sometimes you get lucky when hunting dove in the pheasant season and it deserves a picture. You know the dog wasn't too happy to pose for any length of time but he made me happy that day. I believe it all starts again on August 22. Happy days.

Posts: 16 | Location: Bonita, California | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
A little dove hunting primer to get everyone wound up a bit. This was a hunt in south Texas where I started out with a 12g a O/U and then switched to a .410 SxS to finish out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsu-IyuksVw

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful shotgun, James. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I have always been a .410 fan. I have a Browning copy of the Model 42 pump. I also have .410 adapter tubes for my 20 gauge Browning Citori. I had the fixed choke of the M42 bored out to skeet. I have found that I can not only shoot better skeet scores with the new choke boring, but the gun is also a deadly killer of game farm quail.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1950's one of our group had a 410. It was Mossburg as that's all they could afford.

He was a excellent shot and he made it work.

I handled a Taurus Judge the other day. Shoot 410's and .45's from it! Cool

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
James, great pictures and a very nice SxS .410.

AND NO, you cannot shoot an Australian buffalo next year with a .410 slug... shame hilbily

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, hunting with a .410 is pure joy. I have a Rem 1100 for late winter cottontails and an old Stevens Tenite-stocked double for squirrels. I use my Taurus Judge .410 revolver on poultry house raiders!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a man after my own heart, a .410 is all I try to shoot..... Although sometimes the 12 has to come out for extremely tall birds...

Shot ducks, turkey, quail, just about everything with it last year, and going to do the same this year, even going to shoot cranes and sea ducks with it....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
It's been 20 years since I've owned a 410.
I think I need one again... Thanks for giving me inspiration to go gun shopping. dancing

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a CZ double in 28ga. My older brother, when he got his first shotgun 45 years ago..a Sears Roebuck 410 bolt action, shot over 300 cottontail rabbits with it the first small game season. Quite impressive.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I managed a
Eft and right at these two a couple of weeks ago. I also managed a couple of singles.
Cool not sure me or the geese were more surprised.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories of being a 12 year old armed with an Army & Navy ward patent 410 single and after rabbits on my grand parents farm in Suffolk. A flight of Canada geese came overhead at tree height, bang and down one came. Being somewhat surprised, not quite sure if I had done the right thing I quickly hid the evidence and walked back to the farm. My grandfather, 6ft 2" tall puffed on his pipe, peered down over his Half moon glasses -" dear boy that was a fantastic shot, you'd better get that goose and make it ready for Sunday lunch".

I went back to the same spot a few weeks ago, and despite the events described above being in the early 1980's it felt like yesterday.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO! I DON'T need to start looking for a 410!!!!!!!

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just love my 410's , from the skeet field to the bush , light and lively little game getters . Years ago I shot many rabbits in front of my beagles , both snowshoes and cotton tales with my mod 42 Wln.

Biebs I think you better start looking , while there's a few 42's left

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, even plain Jane Model 42s have gotten pretty pricey, haven't hey?