THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    The sun will never shine again, I used the flash...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The sun will never shine again, I used the flash...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry for the quality, see title for reason. Frowner Some other day perhaps. Until then, meet Special, a crats nightmare in walnut and blue.

In regards to those who are on dial up I will post more later in the thread. If there is a later. Wink
Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Smiley.Face

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Sweetness!!! If I look at those pics again,,,,might have to find a bucket of ice,,,hope you post a full pic sometime soon. I picked up a win. 1917 a while back,,with intention to build a .505,,,After getting it home and looking hard at it,,,she has matching #'s through and through,,,now I don't have the heart to do it,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clay, know what you mean about doing that to a gun. Full view when I get some decent light, here's another pair.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Still.Giggling

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Looks great, love the stock. thumb

I think you need to send it to me, to give it a test run while you heal up.(Just tring to help out) This should only take about two to three years. roflmao

Let us know when you get li'l Bob his first meal with this beauty.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Clay,

Go ahead and turn that 1917 in to a big thumper, it is a great start for this kind of rifle.

I built a Remington 30S into a 458 Lott, it is now my favorite plinker.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
If the bore was any biger you could use ti as a krat muzzel loader LOL

Nice looking rifle !

Now just how is the search going for a proper krat bullet for that ?

IMO a proper bullet is needed for the furballs
Have fun testing on krats.

Have fun !!

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HK, looks like yours is bigger than mine. roflmao Nice plinker, use lead? Confused

Been thinking, what if I melt the lead out of a Swift A-Frame. Think I could get near 4000'per with that little oddity and about 70 grains of RX15?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.YesIm.Deranged

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I have shot some cast loads in the Lott, using AA-5744. But, now I am using the Rem. (45-70) 405gr @ 2100fps, for plinking. Hornady 500gr Interbonds @ 2250fps. for the full thumper load.

For your 416s, super crat whacker loads, how about making some super hollow points on a lathe. Start with a 1/16" bit going 1/4" deep, then working your way up to what ever size it takes to make them just disappear.(crats that is) You might even try using a counter sink drill for a tappered HP.

I do like your idea with the A-Frames. Here's something else to ponder. Get someone like Martin Potts here on AR to make up some 416 jackets with a formed nose and no lead. Then fill them with silicon (sp?) caulk and let set up. Might not weigh over 100gr, should make for instant furgoo on turf.

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
should make for instant furgoo on turf.

My goodness, that sounds like a delicate treat for the palate! Big Grin

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Pate.duFurgoo

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Dan, what is that? A .416?

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Silicone might be a bit soft for a case filler. I would think that a good 30 minute epoxy would be just the thing...a bit pliable for travel through the bore, but hard enough to handle the pressure. Add some #9 or #12 shot to the mix, and get a frangable load. I would expect spaghetti sauce sized chunks! Pics please, when you get your new friend properly broken in!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH, I think the trick with the shot filled jackets is to use a liquid gel to fill the void around the shot, and an epoxy cap for the meplate. JMO.

Ben, yes. .416 Rigby.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Laughing.Goat

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah ... I wasn't paying enough attention earlier. I see in the pictures it says 416 BORE now ...

I was reading that as:

RIGBY SPECIAL BIG BORE FOR BIG GAME

I guess I ought to pay more attention.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Congradulations Dan. You have an outstanding rifle there. You will absolutely enjoy it. Think of big game solids, sp's, reduced lead loads for fun or full house for moose, patched for elk. Just putting a picture of that rifle on the patio will serve as a cat warning. Very Good indeed. ned

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun DD.
That thing should make quick work of crat whackin!
Might just make crat soup the new "special" of the day with it!

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, now for some details:

The rifle was not made by John Rigby & Sons, but I think that it's probably a bit better than that original production, if not as pricey. The original action came from an old Griffin & Howe .350 Magnum, the only chambering to ever bear their name. The Cartridge is a necked down .375 H&H that originated with the G&H firm with Africa in mind badk in 1927. Information I've located to date indicates that by the end of the '30s the cartridge was no longer chambered. The action is as labled on the side behind the rev'r ring, an Oberndorf Mauser.

So, when the gun began it's path to my hands via the previous owner it had be used quite a bit at one point in history, and had suffered more than a few indignities. Evaluated as beyond recovery the makeover began. I am uncertain of when this occured at the moment but will find out shortly. At any rate the barreled action was sent to Dennis Erhardt in Helena, Mt. for the metal work, which included a 24" Childress(sp?) barrel, and custom bottom metal by PMS. Barrel band, scope bases and express sight base were machined by a fellow named Jeff Mitchell out of Georgia for another rifle project that didn't pan out, and sent along for the ride. BTW, if you ever see a Mitchell Rifle with wood you will simply drool with lust. Don't know what his ambitions are but he can give the likes of David Miller a run for his money I assure you.

While that was going on a fella named Joe Pace in Tallahassee, FL., noted locally for a lot of gun stuff Cool put the owners selected and very old stock blank in the hands of one Hugo Barrow of Memphis, TN. for that end of it. Now according to my source Mr. Barrow does some nice work, but sometimes he doesn't translate what you tell him like you mean it. Have that problem myself now and then so I certainly understand. The solution presented by Mr. Pace was to send a stock made by Monty Mandarino along with it, intructions very simple...COPY this stock. Viola'! There you have it. He did a fine job too, the source of that judgement being my eyes and sweaty palms. Big Grin You may never have heard of Mr. Barrow, but if you know anything about custom wood work on guns you will have heard of Mr. Mandarino. Nortorious in not the right word...

The finish is oil naturally, done by Mike Merker, of one of the Carolinas I belive, maybe the northern one...

Anyhoo, it all fell into place, or together...something like that. The barrel engraving was done not to deceive, but more in honor of the old Rigby style, that being that they engraved their .416s like that. Weighs a bit over 11# w/o ammo or scope, has detachable Warne rings, detachable hood on the front sight, yadda-yadda-yadda.

I have yet to shoot it of course, but will scan some targets from the previous owner for your approval. It pretty much clover leafs anything you put down the barrel at 100 yards, and I can't ask for anything more. Why did he sell it? Well, I've known him for quite a few years and he finally grew weary of my pestering him about "My Special". Maybe too it was his smaller stature and the drubbing it handed him at the range. Who knows, and without trying to sound ungrateful I shall not question his motives. It's Miiiiiiiinnnnnneeee! clap

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.CratsInThe.Kettle

one of us
posted Hide Post
...............and then I knew LUST!!!! Roll Eyes

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Delightful Dan, thanks for sharing! thumb beer

If my wife saw my expression now, she would suspect I have been looking at something like http://www.bigtits.com! Big Grin

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
A idea for a krat bullet for your rifle.
Take a .410 pistol bullet ,like a 210 gr.
shorten with a vice and resize to .416 .
This should provide the proper explosive properetys needed for a proper krat bullet.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
DD knows a thing or two about paper patching, i am sure he will give it a try if he wants to use it as a crat-blaster. Were it a .404 Jeffrey, he might size down .44 mag bullets, but i wonder how good it would be to go from .429 to .416; I would patch the .410's.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would patch the .410's.

Mebbe .408's on this one but haven't slugged the bore yet. About 300 grains I think, BHN 5 at about 1600 fps with a really LARGE cavity. Two wraps of 9# oninon skin, 50/50 beeswax and Vaseline for lube, 1 card wad on the FLAT base under the patch twist. Wink 1-2 grains of Bullseye in the hole with an acorn blank gently swaged atop, pointy end down. Excellent crat tonic! thumb I might use some Elephant FFG, about 90 grains, just because...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Special.Effects