New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 year old scared of 22?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this really possible. I know of a guy his.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Is this really possible. I know of a guy his.

Well my kids cannot believe that I don't like onions, so to each his own.

Then again, I cannot tell from your post which end of the gun he is scared of, so he may not be being unreasonable either.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is he OK with a squirt or BB gun?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is SO common. I have seen new-comers to the sport of shooting being handed a heavy recoiling shotgun,rifle or handgun for their FIRST shooting experience, only to suffer the "battering" both physically and mentally. I remember my first ever shot as a 10 year old with a M-71 .348. Oh, how they laughed and made fun of me. It took me YEARS to get over my flinch-itis. That was 60 years ago. Be careful how you introduce an eager to learn new-comer to this SACRED sport. Just a little folly can turn a future gun advocate into a "gun-hater" at the pull of a trigger.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather hated guns, because his brother shot of a other brothers leg with a shotgun (they were 10-11y).

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
This question from the guy who started the thread about his 7 yr old being bullied by a 22 yr old ... hmmm .

Either someone is omitting a few pertinant details or someones account has been hacked by spammers .....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I used to work live fire with Hunters Ed and one of the guys I had help me wanted to load full loads in the lightweight White Mountain Carbines. I had them sighted in with 25 grains of FFG and PRB. Some recoil, noise and smoke with a hole in the target at 25.

He said a little recoil won't hurt them.

Noise and recoil is NOT the way to teach a 10-15 year old to shoot and concentrate on techniqe.

In my humble opinion of course

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said a little recoil won't hurt them

I seen way to many people whos first shots were with some idiot who thought useing mag 12ga loads were funny.

Its a very good way to ruin somebody from likeing guns.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That very thing happened to me, imagine a 12ga. Topper with a short Mag and a skinny kid holding it.
I developed a flinch that I was years getting over. The old H&R didn't stay long.

Dennis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The other way to ruin a first time shooter is not using ear protection. Some people are very sensitive to noise, even the crack of a 22LR.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a skinny 9 or 10year old with a light weight full load 7rm and the flinch lasted awhile.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gremcat:
I was a skinny 9 or 10year old with a light weight full load 7rm and the flinch lasted awhile.

Me too! Still got the scar from the scope! But I shot it five mre times......never been accused of being smart.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to fathom IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote