New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning squirrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have any advice about cleaning and cooking squirrels? I have a terrible time getting the skin off. And I've never had much luck making them taste good.
There has to be an easier way to clean them.
Thanks.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr. Frankg: Here is what I do. After bagging the beasts, make a 1 1/2" cut through the skin of the back near the middle of the back length where the ribs end. The cut is at a right angle to the spine. Push the fur up a little so as to cut at the skin, not through the fur. Poke your index and second fingers under the skin at the cut and pull with both hands in opposite directions as if doing an isometric exercise. Warm and young squirrels are easier. Old, cold ones are harder. So are shot up ones. The skin will peel back like taking a rubber glove off, frequently extending the initial back cut to the belly, tearing there and then pulling down to the paws and tail base. Cut (I use game shears) through the limbs, tail and head. Lay the skin on a log or limb, put the rat on there belly up, cut through the pelvic arch, bend the hind legs till they disjoint, continue the cut up through the ribs until the body cavity is exposed.Pull out the innards. Done neatly, no stomach contents or innards are exposed. Pinch these items and pull them out for discard. Save the heart and liver if you like. Put the carcass in the saved bread bag you brought from home. At home I rinse in cold water, pick off hair, take off front legs by cutting under shoulder blades, rear legs through broken joints, cutting the back in half at the end of the ribs. Pinch off fat and miscellaneous connective tissue, and pick out shot if required before disjointing. I freeze them, in little sandwich bags, separated by big and small, because cooking times will vary. I soak in cold slightly salted water in the fridge overnight before cooking. If this is ok, a recipe will follow later.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DD's Miracle Recipe for soothing nervous tummies and enslaving bashful palates:

Wild animal, cleaned then browned after light dusting in flour. Quantity up to you.

Dice in equal portions: carrots, celery, onions. 2 cups for a pound of wild hare, 1 cup per additional pound

Saute veggies with garlic clove in skillet used to brown meat after removing all but about 2 tablespoons of remaining grease/oil. Leave residual crumbs etc. in the skillet! Additional spices to taste. I like Everglades Seasoning, pepper, and a bit of salt.

Place your "meat" atop veggies, add 50/50 water/white wine(1 cup/pound) cover and simmer for about 45 Min. Use larger pot if skillet too small.

Serve over rice, reduced veggies as gravey.

Both squirrel and bunnies prosper from salt water soaking first, as Ned said. This recipe useful on all upland game and birds. Don't know about ducks, venison, or hogs. The above proportions are adequate for 4-6 quail w/o additions. Use caution, it's easy to eat too much of this.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
A little Port is Fine afterwards also.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quarter after skinning, many methods of skinning - search the Missouri Dept. of Conservation webpages for one of the best.

Then sautee in butter and garlic and a bit of bacon grease or olive oil. Do not overcook.

Or marinate in 1/4c soy sauce, 3/4 cooking oil, 1.5t garlic powder, 1.5t ginger, 2T honey and 2-3T vinegar for 12 hrs then grill.

Squirrel is the best eating animal out there.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote