New
Find
Notify
Tools

I NEED HELP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a beaver problem. They are relieving mom of all here favorite planted trees. I need to know how to trap them or ho to find them and dispatch them. They have already taken 2 crate murdals and have stared on some small cherry trees. The problem is that I dont were they appear to be nocturnal so what am I to do? Would a live trap and some corn work? Thanks for any help you can give
Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
crate murdal = crepe myrtle ? Call your state game dept and ask them for the name of a trapper that will do it. They are persistant so you have to get them all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can destroy their lodge and or their dam and they will then be exposed to your desires. A live trap and corn won't be much help. You may get help from the state or county, don't know where you live. OR, do a little research at the scene of the crime, find their patterns and habitual paths in and out of the water. That would be where you put your steel trap, properly staked and submerged. I do mean PROPERLY staked. They are big and strong. Easiest way I know of actually would poke around and find a local trapper, let him do the deed.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah mete thats the one, us alabama boys aint to good at spellin and such. Anyways I do know there path, as it is the only logical way they could gain access to our yard. They smim to our sea wall and trot right up the steps comn in from the lake and in to our yard. There lies my problem. There is not one place you can conceal a trap. My friend has lots of beavers in his private lake so whenever he wants to get rid of them he just puts corn out and waits. He stands at his back door with a 22250 and blasts them. I do not have that luxury though as i would might get arrested for discharging a firearm in view of the public( i live in a large tight nieghborhood). Thanks for help fellas i think im gonna give my buddy at the the ole fish and game dept a call tomarrow and see if i cant find a trapper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have trapped a fair number of beaver,here goes.I set the trap in 8-10 inches of water 4-6 inches offset from the center of their run.Chain your trap out in to deep water.I use #5 Bridgers or #4 Victors.You want to make a back foot catch.You could call your F&G dept. as most deal with damage complaints.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Bridger couldn't have said it better.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could put a No Trespassing sign near the steps. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~scott

Posts: 343 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to keep the carcass if you get the critter ,trim the fat off real good , quarter it and fry w/ peppers and onions.............fine eating ! A light and a 22 w/ CB caps works good and is fairly quiet , try sitting for about an hour after dark on their runway....

Eat more Beaver

Posts: 48 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Shiloh,,For what its worth,,They're real suckers for green weeping willow branches,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. The little SOB's have come back for 3 nights in a row now so i have set devised a plan.My yeard is a big hill so i am going to simply sit at the top with a spotlight and the ole marlin 25 loaded with aquila SSS rounds(there nice and quiet in that gun and shoot pretty godd to). I have already riged up a tripwire with a belss on it plus i will be able to hear them exit the water. When and if they show up, i will shine the light and let em have it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Oldbob, Li think you be great friend! You can never eat too much...

Posts: 374 | Location: Golden Chopstix Restaurant | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I agree with oldbob. You could pop one after dark with a CB or a Short. Have someone help you with the light and you hit mr. bucktooth right inna nose.
Both of these make less noise than the neighbors barking dog. Make sure you got a backstop though.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote