THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    ISO family friendly, affordable lease in Texas

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ISO family friendly, affordable lease in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Hey fellas,

I know this is a LONG shot, BUT I thought it would be good to put some feelers out there. Currently, I am on a lease in East Texas but we haven't really had any luck. with the 2K acres of property and what we are paying, you would think I could find something better. For what we are paying, there should be more deer than there are.

If anyone knows of a lease that needs to have customers for next fall, or is looking to team up with anyone, please shoot me a PM. I know how hard it can be to trust people. Trust me, I'm your typical good 'ole Texas boy. thanks fellas!

FYI- For those who knew one of our former members here on AR "Doubless", he was my father. we lost him to a long battle with cancer two years ago. I would think that Those who knew him and thought highly of him, would think the same of me and give me a chance. Not sure if that helps anyone or not.... ?

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone would not give you a chance, a few might but that just goes with the territory..A tough hide helps!

WELCOME ABOARD..

As to your search for a lease, it will be costly if it has a proper deer population. Hard to next to impossible to find a GOOD CHEAP LEASE. In your case perhaps find a day lease on a decent low fence ranch for about $125 per day is the best you will get I suspect..

Another option is to put a group together and lease the ranch by the acre, that can work, but look that lease over well before you jump..I did that for some years with my boys and their friends at $1500 each for the year, included all the hunting rights, quail, Javalina, deer, dove turkey for the year, no other hunters, the deer were decent, a good buck going 130 to 135..
Worked great until the neighbors blocked him in with high fence, the lease went to hell, and would only support a two deer kill after that.Only his frontage was 4 strand barb wire..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 250 acres in East Texas and was wondering about leasing, but have no idea what the per acre rate would be.
Any info could be very helpful. Thanks

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bob, years ago I went hunting with a friend that grew up + had a lease outside of Huntsville that bordered on the Sam Houston National Forest. I was a guest + had no idea what they paid but I'd bet that the COC or local gun shops might give you a heads up. There are some decent deer there but I don't think the prices would be as high as central, west or south. Just a thought.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i remember double S quite well, I spoke with him on a few different forums.
we mostly argued about bullet casting and shooting lead bullets.
he may have disagreed but he was polite about it and supported his side with his own thoughts on the matter.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
250 ac. is mighty small, and it would depend on the deer population, If you have a substantial deer population on it, Id try day leasing at $125 to $150 a day..You could probably set up two corn feeders with blinds, keep them full of corn for a month or two before season..Ask your local game warden these questions and have them do a count if they will..

A lot would depend on what county your in, in that 250 Ac. in Llano co. would guarentee a buck a day probably, in for East Texas, some nice deer for mostly scarce..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless and I argued a bunch and it wasn't always friendly. He got very upset that I mentioned the problem may have been that his father made a bad shot. In his mind that was impossible.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
today you would be better off driving to New Mexico and hunting on Government BLM or Forrest, I say New Mexico because its close to Texas and a days drive from where your hunting...My sister had 4000 ac. around Greenland and it bordered a state game reserve and she had hardly any deer but plenty of hogs..I had a cattle ranch of 75,000 acres south of Marathon texas, and it provided 45 Mule deer bucks a year and some real whoppers, that area last I checked gets you a real nice mule deer for $3000 up..but most ranches had 100% kills on Mule deer and coues in some areas..check with the chamber of commerce in Alpine, Marfa, for the best hunting and North of Midland Odessa for the really big mule deer, but hard to come by..Hope this helps, I hunt both so. Texas and West Texas most every year..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120