THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Need help finding a "Bunny Buster" pistol

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help finding a "Bunny Buster" pistol
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
A couple of times a day I walk my now-old doggy. I've been having a lot of rabbits the past couple of years that she can't see any more and the thought occurred to me that we could be eating a lot of these. However, the main purpose is to go on a walk with the dog and not hunt so I am looking for a 22 pistol with a 3-4 inch barrel that can take reliable shots at 75-125 feet that I can just toss in a coat pocket. I'm open to any suggestions, I just don't want anything too heavy that pulls my jacket to one side. New or used, anyone have a suggestion of what to keep an eye out for? I have a Ruger mark 2 and that is too bulky for what I want. Single shot is OK, and used/old is fine too, Just mainly small and lightweight and capable of hitting a rabbit at 20-40 yards and no big deal to toss in a jacket pocket. Any one have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walther PP in 22 LR. S&W J frame. Do not discount the 38 Special with wadcutters as a small game round

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot rabbits with my S&W Model 63 (.22 LR) with a 4" barrel, and a S&W Model 60 (.38 Special) with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. I also like the Ruger Single-Six in .32 H&R with a 100 gr. cast full wadcutter, but with the 5.5" barrel may be a little long for a coat pocket.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have a Bersa Thunder which is essentially a copy of the Walther but the minute of bunny on that is about 20-25 feet and I'd like to increase that.

Browning makes a buckmark with a 4" barrel but it weighs about 2 pounds and I think that might be a tiny bit too much. They make a NAA tiny revolver in a target model with a 4" barrel and what looks to be reasonable sights but I don't know how the accuracy is with them, I do know the shorter ones do not have rifled barrels, and American Rifleman tested a 2" barreled one that seemed to average 2" at 7 yards which is a little too large for my tastes but a longer barrel might work, I don't know.

I don't have a S&W revolver, might look into those in 22 or 38.

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walther PP in 22 LR.

This^^^^^

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t have one, but I’ve read good reviews on Ruger’s LCP II in 22LR. It should fit in your pocket nicely.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Just got a S&W M&P .22 that's basically a clone of their self defense 9mm. It has pretty decent sights and offers respectable accuracy with bulk box ammo. Probably good enough for popping rabbits in the head out to 50-75 feet, but probably not at the longer ranges you mention (at least not in my hands). It carries nicely and would fit in a coat pocket.

I also have a S&W 22A that is very accurate with a red dot sight. It may be a bit long for pocket use though. Their new SW22 Victory looks promising.

Posts: 3290 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another couple that I have are the Browning BuckMark and the Browning 1911-22lr. They are a little heavy, but get a nice holster and carry it on your belt underneath your coat. The BuckMarks are particularly accurate. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt slide, bbl + mag. that replaces the upper on a 1911 frame. But that is a bit heavy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have a Colt slide, bbl + mag. that replaces the upper on a 1911 frame. But that is a bit heavy.

Heavy and bulky, and now it's story time...

When I was in my early 20's for a couple of years we had a huge problem with raccoons getting into the trash, we also had a big airedale/irish wolfhound that liked to go on midnight walks as much as I liked having him with me! Anyway I'd go out around midnight with my 1911 and a portion of the time be able to shoot a raccoon. It didn't take too many times for the dog to figure out when I got my 1911 out at night it meant we were going for a walk and he'd start dancing around like a puppy. When I moved away and came back home after that, I'd always grab a pistol and we'd go out for our late night stroll. As the years went on, one time all he could do was just lay on the couch and wag his tail, and he died a couple weeks later. I still usually carry a 1911 if I go on a midnight stroll in the woods, but this one has tritium sights. Anyway, thanks for the memory joggle!

Looking around, the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P22Q both look promising and weight about 1/2 pound less than my Bersa PPK clone. Nobody local has one right now but I can wait. I already have some other midsize 22's comparable to Buckmarks/Ruger MK2's and wanting something just a tiny bit more pocketable while still being effective.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a after market 4 inch steel lined alum barrel and a weaver rail and a red dot on my buck mark. Just the ticket you need.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning Nomad .22 pistol that is minute of squirrel. Fun and accurate. I use it to put smiley faces on targets at the range. Not that bad to carry.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
One of the standard Ruger MKs will be good but the LCR might be lighter. Of course it must be 22LR. Be Well, Packy.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Went and ordered a Ruger SR22, so I'll see how that works. I was going between that and the Walther P22Q but the ruger has better sights and aftermarket accessories should I ever want to go in that direction.

I'll post a follow up after I get it in my hot little hands and shoot it a bit.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a spring piston air pistol?

My Webly & Scott Tempest has served me well for 40 years of picking off rabbits and other small tasties around the yard. I can practice with it indoors using nothing more than junk mail bundled and taped together for a backstop. So far no issues with ammo availability either.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Haven't considered an air pistol, my main goal was to find a pocketable yet "accurate enough" 22 for just dropping in my coat pocket when the dog and I go for a walk. I already have the bastard grandchild of your Webley Tempest, a Beeman P1. I too have a 10 meter shooting range in the house, with a target holder and one of those pellet traps with a little metal circle that hangs down.

I have to say I do like this little ruger, sights are nice and it fits in both my hand and my pocket well. I've only run about a box through it and while my groups are too embarrassing to post they're still a comfortable minute of bunny up to 75 feet or so and I expect to get them a bit tighter once I figure out how to shoot this gun.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Another couple that I have are the Browning BuckMark and the Browning 1911-22lr. They are a little heavy, but get a nice holster and carry it on your belt underneath your coat. The BuckMarks are particularly accurate. Big Grin

I have one of each. Both are very well made pistols. The Buckmark is heavy. The 1911-22 is a light little gun. It is amazingly accommodating of a variety of ammunition. It seems to feed everything. Sights are of the basic, older military style. Not the best for shooting at game or pests.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like most of the S&W kit guns. I have owned most versions in the rimfire options. My favorites all have the 3” and 3 1/2” barrels, for me they carry and handle better than the 4” . All that I have owned have been surprisingly accurate. My favorites are the M51 .22 mag, 317 lite weight alloy , and the stainless M63 and M651 .22 mag..

Posts: 656 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeMe:
I have a Browning Nomad .22 pistol that is minute of squirrel. Fun and accurate. I use it to put smiley faces on targets at the range. Not that bad to carry.

I have a Nomad too. It has a 4.75 inch barrel and handles like a dream. This gun points very naturally, is very easy to shoot and very accurate.

It may be marginally too heavy for you, but if you can tolerate an extra few ounces, or are willing to wear a holster, it is one sweet gun.

The only downside is the slide does not lock open after the final round is fired.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 4" S&W kit gun, small and super accurate, I say I had as my grandson obsconded with it, but it was perfect for running a trap line or just out shooting Jack rabbits out the pickup window...Best such pistol I ever owned..I also used it in elk camp to shoot a grouse or two for supper.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote