Find
Notify
Tools

Fluffy takes a bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted
Had a cat hollering last night and it was driving me crazy around 1 A.M. I got my old 22 out and remedied my problem. I snipped it. One shot, one kill. i saw alot of neighbor lights come on after that. but I went in thru the side door with the hose lights off. One less crat out there now. I am on a mission to rid the world of these vial creatures, one 22 bulet at a time. i wonder if I could volunteer my services at the local animal shelter for the crats that havent been picked up in time? Hmmm thinking.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
gunz, do yourself a favor and go buy some 22 CB caps. Out of a rifle they are as quite as a pellet rifle. Then you will not wake your neighbors up. They will not be able to figure out where the shots are coming from. That will let you get kitty into a "Glad bag"/body bag. Fluffy will have just disappeared. cheers

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer is right. When I was a young and impressionable boy, I used CB caps quite often on the local bird population (lots of crows) -- they are very quiet and worth investing in when hunting/sniping in residential areas.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
What are cb caps?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
bulldog, they are in essence a cut down .22 that utilizes a round lead ball for a projectile and I believe the primer is the propellant. They were a bit of a bitch to load into my JC Higgins bolt action, but they are super quiet and lethal on small critters.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=2

bulldog, as this is a new horizon apparently, take note of a specific difference in terminology regarding low velocity .22 ammo.

BB Caps are a very small(shorter than a short case) cased ammo using a lead round ball and powered by primer compound only. Currently manufactured by Dynamit Nobel and Flobert, they are very quiet, and quite lethal on pests in my experience. Larger animal(crats) require a brain shot, no exception.

CB Caps use the same case and use a conical(literally) bullet with a very small charge of powder. Same point of origin, and essentially the same performance. Neither round tends to have good accuracy in most .22's, though my TC carbine shoots them quite well. The tend to be very quiet as well, and head shots are suggested on larger animals. Both the BB and CB Caps are capable of penetrating 3/4" pine from my rifle. They are NOT toys.

CB Shorts and Longs are an extension of the same theory, using conventional short and long cases respectively. As far as I know they were first introduced in the late '70s, though that may not be correct. It is when I became aware of them however. They use 29 gr lead bullets of conventional heeled design, exterior lubed, and are not differentiated visually from regular .22 s/l HV ammo. They are not as quiet as the Caps, but are substantially more powerful, in a long barreled(22-24") gun the report is "urban certified". As with the caps they are lethal beyond what most believe. At 50 yards the velocity difference between them and HV ammo is small...so if you think a HV short will do the trick, so too will a CB Short. Placement is important as the bullets expand little if any due to their velocity. I killed a small pig some time back with CB shorts if that means anything to you. Spine shot.

It is significant that you differentiate between the terms "short/long" and "cap". They are commonly interchanged in use but the ammo in question is different as night and day. All "Cap" ammo is manufactured in Europe to the best of my knowledge, and is available from some distributors. Once made by all US manufacturers save Federal, the CB Short and Long ammo is now produced only by CCI in the US, though other brands of low velocity .22 ammo are produced "en Mexico" under the brand of Colibri. None of the ammo I have described here should be confused with "sub-sonic" or "standard velocity" ammo currently in production. It is not the same thing.

A couple of brief notes on the way out the door. The European "caps" will corrode your chamber if you don't clean after each use. They smell funny too. Single shot actions accept all of the ammo mentioned above(assuming proper chamber), and so too will repeaters....though loading may present problems. CB Shorts and Longs will cycle thru actions specified for "S,L,LR" but they will not function the action of an autoloader for any not specifically intended to use shorts of at least standard velocity. The Rem 24 and Browning Auto chambered for Shorts WILL funtion well with CB shorts.

The BB Caps are representative of the very first metal cased ammo produced by Flobert back during the last ice age...or something like that. Like shooting a little bit of history.

Please, do NOT let yourself get casual with this ammo should you try it. It will kill what it hits, including friends, neighbors and loved ones. It can ricochet, penetrate, and otherwise land you in a heap of trouble should your judgement err...

Dan

POTYHC

www.BeingGone.FerAwhile wave

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You are right Dan, I stand corrected. The bb cap has the round ball......yes they are lethal.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Aguila makes the ".22 Colibri, sans poudre,balle 20 grains" load. It shoots 3" groups in anything .22 I have at 25 yards, so I don't use it for anything but dispatching cats in the trap, as it will not exit on a head shot. In my mark II pistol it sounds like a sharp handclap and requires manual extraction, in a rifle a little quieter, but that is holding the firearm. There is a warning on the box not to shoot it in rifles as the bullet may not exit the barrel. I warn you CSI intrested types the bullet will not exit the cat and may be found on autopsy. Recommend using the cat as coyote bait.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
When I had my old REM Target Master 22 singleshot, I used the Aguila 60gr SSS. VERY quit and hit hard...

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concerning the lethal range on a CB Long.
Personal best shot w/ a 77/22 and iron sights was 75yd. on a moving bird grinder. (Not bragging, a lot of luck on this one.) Got the same kill speed as on shorter shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has been my experience that the CB Longs group a little better than the shorts, but still a larger group than conventional High Velocity ammo. 1-1.5 (cb longs)vs .5-.75 at 50 yards (Fed HV). CBs are also much quiter in a bolt action. An autoloader vents part of the escaping gas out the back making for more of a low bang instead of the "thump" you get with the bolt.
Wink

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 75 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Professor Dan. I live in the country so I take every opportunity to make some noise. However, if I ever find myself in more urban circumstances I will try to keep your advice in mind.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Put a rubber band around the bolt handle of autoloaders and anchor it somewhere forward on the gun. This will prevent the action from partly cycling, but will still allow you to pull back to shoot it single shot.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how"s about .22 shotshells?
someone gave me a handful of them at the range last week, and i"ve been shooting mice in the garage with my .22 pistol. great fun! need one of those lower frame mounted torches!
don"t think they"d be up to terminating pussy cats though.
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I went to our local very limited gun/sporting good store and the best they had was 22 shorts. I am gonna keep looking.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
You know, I've had a experience with the same thing. Please try to limit your shots to a head shot though, and ensure you'll have a good clear shot. The caps are lethal, but for a heart shot it's pushing it. The 22 short will give you all the power you need to rid these pesky critters for 95% of your available shots.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
22 shorts would be great, But I live in town with neighbors. I almost got caught a short time back, i saw the neighbor coming over to ask me about it after I shot the crat, i just started stirring around my reloading bench and explained it was an accidental primer set off he heard

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Hah that's horrible. Well good luck on your search buddy! Cabela's has a bulk sale on .22 CB Shorts (500 for $23.99) and I know for a fact those are silent but very deadly. Those utilize a very, very short case and a actual roundnose bullet. Out of my Remington 514T they're quiet enough not to stir attention, yet I've nabbed squirrels with headshots out to 20 yards. Grab a box, tape a bottle to the front of the barrel and give her a swing!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate cats as you do. If CB shorts are not accurate in your gun I recommend trying Eley Rapid Fire Pistol Match Shorts. They are not usually available in sporting goods stores or gunshops (try Midway). I think they produce about 900 fps in a rifle and the noise level is about the same as a CB short. The extra velocity about doubles the energy, maybe an advantage for cats. I have a Ruger 77/22 with a Volquartsen barrel chambered for shorts only, with a slow twist. It shoots the Eley cartridges much better than any CB shorts.

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
Darn good info . i will see aht i can find

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sherlock:

Went to get my half empty/full??? box of Aguila's just to learn more and tell about what they are.

I've got an old rusted up .22 single shot bolt an ex g'f gave me a couple yrs ago. Don't matter if it does harm the bore. It sat uncleaned for years in the south's high humidity.

This thing will put these tiny bullets in one hole out to about 40 feet. As far as I can shoot in my back yard. The cats have learned to watch for me heading to the door though. So they don't hang around for long enough to even get out the door. My place has a 40' window wall and they don't open, so I'm visible. They'll be out in the yard and looking at the house watching for me, so they know they're not welcome in my yard.

When I first got these. Set up a stack of cat food cats the late wife fed her's from. Had them just laying against each other and about ten or so of them to check penetration and noise.

Sounds like the empty chamber firing pin snap to me. But, the bullet went thru four can bottoms and dented deep into the fifth one.
Not wanting them to die on my place, the few I've shot were rib shots and haven't seen them around since then. That's much quicker than gut shot so they don't suffer as long which I don't believe in.

The thing about sick & dying cats is they run off and hide someplace to die. They don't run home, or seldom do. They'll just hide and disappear it seems. In a few days you might smell them rotting but, seldom ever find them, or I haven't. Wife had lots of them disappear to never be seen again. Now that she's gone, neighbors have brought in and left lots more cats. It's a real mess around here.

Animal control has refused to come out after them. I've been warned not to harm them. So that don't leave many options. They will not take them if trapped and taken down there unless you've signed out one of THEIR traps and it's on record. Last summer someone bought their own trap and took some cats down there and they fined him for trappping them without authorization of all things.

I'm intending on feeding some choc bait soon as I can get it set out. Wish I'd known about it long ago, wouldn't have this problem now.

Wish you well,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the hunter side of me comes out now. i hate cats, But i think as a conscience hunter I owe it to any animal to make a clean kill. Even if it means they die on my property, Thats what plastic trash bags are for. Anyhow Not to condemn your method, Just airing my opinion on animal suffering even if it is a crat. I wouldnt intentionally fatally harm any animal if it meant long enduring suffering of the animal. Poision seems to work well, They simply take their last nap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunz:
Unfortunately the hunter side of me comes out now. i hate cats, But i think as a conscience hunter I owe it to any animal to make a clean kill. Even if it means they die on my property, Thats what plastic trash bags are for. Anyhow Not to condemn your method, Just airing my opinion on animal suffering even if it is a crat. I wouldnt intentionally fatally harm any animal if it meant long enduring suffering of the animal. Poision seems to work well, They simply take their last nap.

big man.... i hope there are no children in your neighborhood under age 10..... any prick on a mission to kill urban house cats (who more than likely have a home) is in lots of studies also a pedaphile.............................

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Before this gets out of hand, I love cats as well or better than anyone, but, I am a realist. Pet cats and dogs have to be taklen care of properly.

They are House Pets and as such should not be turned out to run loose around the neighborhood or in the pastures. It would be nice to think that people would have the decency to make sure the cat/dog is not wearing a collar or harness before shooting the animal, simply because accidents happen and pets do occasionaslly get loose.

Feral cats/dogs, animals that obviously are not someone's pet need to taken out of the equation. Poisoning or snares are indiscrimanent, and with poisons there is always the possibility of a child finding and putting something in their mouth that they shouldn't. I can really see how anyone could handle the realization that a child died because someone was trying to kill a cat.

If your going to shoot a cat or dog, make sure of your shot so the animal does not suffer and keep in mind how you would feel if your pet got out and someone killed it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
I live in the former hood turned college part of town. Every "artist" and unhappy fat girl here has a bunch of cats, and they all eventually end up running around loose. The entire area is overrun with them. Just a few weeks ago after a storm I got home from the office and and went to move a tarp that had blown onto my porch and found out it had a cat in it crapping out kittens.

a few stitches and a minor operation later (a tooth broke off in the joint of my finger) I still had half a dozen cats to deal with. They're a constant problem here. I deal with it every chance I get. I really don't think that makes me a pedophile.

I think to suggest that just because someone recognizes and is handling a problem with a feral, introduced, highly destructive, non native species and is dealing with them that they must be a pedophile is beyond ridiculous. No less so than when anti hunters try to say that we're all psychopaths and used to torture animals as a kid.

We used to kill them on a regular basis at a lease I was on too, and it was wayy out in the middle of nowhere. I even shot at and missed a ferret there once. A FERRET!

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I am a writer and I just recently published a book of poetry titled, "O'Sullivan's Place." One of the poems is titled, "Cats." If you are not fond of these creatures, then you will love this poem. There are a few more poems in it that shooters would like. You can order it from Amazon, or shoot me a pm and I'll arrange an autographed copy for you.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People who leave their cats loose ought to be held responsible for whatever damage they do. I own a dog, but she's never, ever out of my sight. I expect the same of cat owners. You want a kitty, fine. Keep the damn thing on your own property. I'm in favor of requiring licenses for cats too, same as dogs.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who let their cats run loose and then whine when they don't come home. Especially when they let them run loose with no collar or tags.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
i used to have3 -4 cats causing a nuisance around my yard, don' get me wrong we have a cat of our own, but she is spayed vaccinated and fed properly.One cat copped a subsonic .22 thru a sak silencer on a ruger 10/22 to the back of the head as he scent marked my bushes, follow up shot kept him down.
Another caught a sub to the side of the head and that put an end to the fiddler on the roof episodes.I just happened to have a hole dug for the fig sapling, it just got put to another use.

.22 subs+ silencer = no pussy

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 134 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new CCI quite loads 40gr at around 750 should be better then the cb caps.

They are just as quite and hit harder

But then I live in the country and pests are normally taken care of with something much bigger and louder.

A 3in load of 00 bucks works really well.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to get some Coyotes. They just love cats and "fo-fo" dogs for dinner. Where my son lives in N. Hollywood, there USED to be lots of "let em' out at night" cats and fo-fo dogs.
Not anymore, just the songs of Yotes at night.
We need to ship em' over some Griz bears too, to clean up the homeless problem ..... after all the bear IS on their fing flag !

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of smedley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
quote:
Originally posted by gunz:

big man.... i hope there are no children in your neighborhood under age 10..... any prick on a mission to kill urban house cats (who more than likely have a home) is in lots of studies also a pedaphile.............................

bewildered Got to wonder why after 6 years (Posted 25 March 2006 22:05) you decided to bring this thread back up???
Especially when Gunz hasn't posted since 24-Sep-2010....

shame

Smedley

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Winston Churchill
"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." Samuel Adams
Facts are immaterial to liberals. Twisted perceptions however are invaluable.
We Americans were tired of being thought of as dumb, by the rest of the world. So we went to the polls in November 2008 and removed all doubt.....let's not do it again in 2012 please.

Posts: 3242 | Location: Cruising through the Milky Way at 98,000fps | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some subjects are timeless. This thread is probably as applicable today as it was 6 years ago. Just makes me thankful I live way out in the country and don't have to deal with next door neighbors and their unwelcome cats. But yes, it is strange to resurrect a thread after 6 years.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SOME ADVICE TO PREVENT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, PLEASE dont shoot a problem cat in your home! Years back I did just that, put a .177 pellet into the brain from 5m and the darn thing flopped around all over the carpet(a brain shot animal has convulsions you know...) and believe me that blood smells bloody awful! Winchester subsonic HP for outdoors! Big Grin

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Theres a box trap set year round at my house. No close neighbors here but kinda keeps the vermin in control I don't see at night. You guys that have close neighbors could then transport your catch to a remote spot for dispatching. Most of the crats I catch are my brother-in-laws. He likes 'em; I don't.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Lots of Crat traps in my area as well Whistling

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ever want to "dispose" of things like cats, possums etc that have been sorted out by you, get in you car late at night, put the cat on the floor of the car on the drivers side.

Drive onto a major road which has a lot of traffic on it during the day, as you are driving along, open door and push the cat out SO that it falls over the white line into the other lane.

Keep driving up the road and after a suitable period, do a U turn and drive back, making sure you drive over the body on the way past (hence why making sure it ends up on the other side of the road when you kick it out).

By the next morning, plenty of other cars will have run over it so it will look like a normal road kill !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you people wonder why the libs want to take guns away? Or maybe you don't wonder why.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And how about please read the "please read" at the top of this forum.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using CCI Quiet 22 ammo and like it. Out of my winnie 1890 all you hear is the hammer fall. I like CATS!

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I don't know who Clark_Bruce is but the picture you posted has Malware.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote