Find
Notify
Tools

Cat load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
OK, OK, I will soon be the proud owner of a .338 Win Mag. I need some suggestions on "splater loads"

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing crosses my mind is Ballistic Tips and a lot of Reloader 19 or 22. Something like that. Seem to recall the 210 gr one will kiss 2800-2900 fps or maybe more. They are fragile bullet compared to A-Frames or Partitions. Nobody makes crat bullets for the .338, and that's a shame. Frowner Maybe we should call Walt Berger? I've heard that SMK's really come undone if they open up at all, but don't know for sure.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Idle.Speculation

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Howm about milling off about .250" from the nose of those SMKs. That should make her unwind.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the guys up here have been getting real fine results with Retumbo in their medium bores. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
the 180 gr Nosler BT is as close to a varmit bullet as there is.
But it's still designed for deer not Krat

JOhnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Howm about milling off about .250" from the nose of those SMKs.

There ya go. Hell, take of the upper third....

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.FiftyYardLine.Tickets

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a .338/.224 or .338/6mm sabot?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Take a 357 mag bullet and run it in a 338 sizing die !!!!!

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
make it a .357" hollow base wadcutter and run it thru the die, then load it hollow base up--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
acsteele,I like your sporting atitude.
I feel hunting crats with a small caliber rifle rather challenging.
Make sure your back up man has a pump with slugs in case one charges.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
With a drill press and the right sized bit you can make very fragile hollow points. Accuracy may be poor, just get closer to the crat. A dremel tool with cutter blade can cut slits in the ogive of the bullet - sort of dum-dum style.
Swaging down the 38 caliber hollow base wad cutters should also work. Load up whatever you've got and just shoot the POS crats. Aim for the head or shoulder. Don't forget to tag them and gut them out. Strap one to your hood to warn the other crats of their probable fate.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Would hanging the tails from the rear bumper of the F150 be acceptable? You know, 1970's inner city Caddy style?

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe .338 shot shells or maybe grape shot!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would hanging the tails from the rear bumper of the F150 be acceptable?

Or hang the tail out of your gas cap cover. Looks really cool on a lime green Lexus. Wink Sort of like having a Tyger in your tank.

Dan

pres., TYHC

http://www.HeardThatFrom.DaMan

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
OEH,

The old Fraiser Ratchet bullet had curved slits in the jacket. I have a 318 Fraiser in my collection with this feature.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan, I remember those old adverts about the Tiger. I guess you heard that ESSO had to create TSR to supplement that ad and resolve the attendant problems! derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
With a drill press and the right sized bit you can make very fragile hollow points.

OEH--RCBS used to make an attachment for their case trimmer that used a drill bit to make/modify your own HP bullets. Never did any scientific testing to see what effect they would have, but killed lots of crows with my .22-250 with the modified bullets.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth,,,In ww2 the kraut snipers had a simpler way,,,,just pull the bullets,,,and seat them bass akwards,,maximum splat effect,and demoralisation of the enimy,,,little loss of accuracy.Pardon the spelling,,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Going back to your original question, I recommend you put the sling on, scope caps too. Then load the magazine, none in the chamber and when an especially obnoxious pussy comes *ss rubbing on your leg, hold the rifle carefully muzzle up, aim well, and push that buttplate through its furry brain in one swift motion. Probably not excessive splatter either.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
OEH--RCBS used to make an attachment for their case trimmer that used a drill bit to make/modify your own HP bullets. Never did any scientific testing to see what effect they would have, but killed lots of crows with my .22-250 with the modified bullets.

Forster still does.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote