New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are rats small game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got the key to the local landfill.Went there after dark last night.Turned on the truck spotlight and was greated with a glorious site,rats,lots of them.Stuck the Marlin 25N out the window and proceeded to give Dyna-Point injections.Tonite I shall return with the .223 and a bunch of Berger 40 gr. MEFS.
Li do you have any recipes for rat?I would hate to see a good protein source go to waste.There having a Potluck supper at the Rusty Bucket and I thought I would bring something special.Or marinated rat quarters on the grill.I have to go sharpen my knife and load the truck for tonites mission.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
You might have some luck to pickle them like pig's feet,Name the stuff "star",,Good luck,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight sells a night vision rifle scope for around $200 that would be the cat's ass on rats, especially mounted on a .22 LR.

We used to shoot them with a pump .22 using shotshells as they ran along waterpipes. Dad bought me the shotshells when I missed the first time with solids....

Oooops.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfer, I do believe that those critters were renamed "Roof Rabbits" for marketing purposes! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Wolfer. You may want to consider that those rats are the food supply or your local landfill panthers. As an avowed P>E.T.A person (people eating tasty animals) I have to recommend that you not overharvest the resource. Having said that, rat loins twisted on a bamboo splinter, sprinkled lightly with jamaican jerk spice and crisply grilled, over smoky chips are SUPER! Shoot the little ones. They are really the "broiler"rats.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Derf, I heard that the German troops in the WW I trenches called them trench cats and preffered them over issue rations.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I read it but you may find recipies in "King Rat", a rather depressing tale of WWII POW's under the influence of the Sons of Nippon. I think of them as sons of something else myself, but to each his own.

Yes, they are small game and most of them are illegal aliens like most of everything else. With all due respect to personal preferences, I say kill 'em all and let whatever God that has an interest sort them out. Now that I think about it, I need a punch line.

The last cat on earth has found the last rat on earth at the Democratic National Convention. After a long and merry chase the rat is finally cornered and the cat says(translated), "I have the perfect recipe for you!" The rat replied: "--fill in your punch line here--"

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.RatsN.Cats

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
120mm,Ned,derf and Dan The score is wolfer 13,rats 0.wolfer 2,skunks 0.I used an old Q Beam with a red lens.The .223 isn't the gun of choice,too much muzzle flash and too loud.I whacked 2 rats before they took cover.I got some chunks and pieces splashed on the side of an old washing machine.I sat quiet for about 20 minutes then started up the diesel truck.It is a natural rat call as it sounds like a garbage truck.I had Hendrix cranked in the CD,All along the watchtower.....I went back to the .22LR and started a systematic culling.Whacked one skunk on the way out of the dump grounds,shot another one on a section line road 2 miles north of the house.A front moved through and the wind came up so I retired to the house.I left the rats as a field lion bait station.I'm a little nervous about the possibility of"Mad Rat Disease".I got to go sharpen my knife.

www.whacknstack.com

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How high's the stack Wolfer? Sounds like a good night at the dump to me, hope you were upwind of the skonks!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.PepeLe.Pieu

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is an article of belief among L....... that it is absolutely neccessary to stick the muzzle out of the truck window before firing. The second article of faith is that you only get one night time shot with a short-barreled AR before you get blinded by the flash. We always let the driver dork the Q beam and put the shooters and the haybale rest in the truck bed. I used to worry about mad squirrel disease but came to the the conclusion the symptoms couldn't be any worse than what I already had, so don't worry about that.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I have an old friend that moved to New York. He tells me the homeless catch and eat rats down in the subway tunnels. They call em 'Track Rabbits'.
On that vein ,we night fish for catfish, carp and 12 paks over on the river.We bait up big hooks with whole kernel corn.We throw one line out each and we bait up another and cast into the rocks lining the riverbank.It doesn't take long before one gets a bite either from the river or the rocks.
I caught a 'Rock Rabbit' in the front foot,(treble hook) and reeled him in. Just for fun I cast him out into the river. He didn't put up much of a fight bringing him back in.He sure was mad though. Beer. Need one more over here.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poletax, I'd offer you a brewski but Tick got my last one. Interesting lifestyle down there in the Tubes I must say. Track Rabbits!?

Ned, it may be a belief but it's not a fact. Once upon an afternoon dreary, I managed to perforate the floor of dad's '60 Ford Fairlane with a load of #6 from a 20 Ga. I'd say perhaps that I believe that it not necessary, but strongly advised. My ear still rings to this day, but I don't think it's from the muzzle blast, loud as it was. Such are the adventures of youth, as occur without the guardianship of a brain. On another occasion I inadvertantly put the trigger guard outside the window of the '54 Belaire. That will cause the glass to crack, and is probably why both ears ring. Sometimes ya just can't win. Just take your pick, window up, window down.

Who among you has not thrown an apple core or worse "thru" a closed window? You're still alive, right?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.OlderAnd.Wiser

one of us
posted Hide Post
I came to my personal muzzle/window belief via a .270 (pre-64 of course) epiphany touched of by an excited buddy while sitting in a truck doing crop damage permit duty one night in a bean field. Some times I play in the night/twilight with the AR and so generate the giganticus ball powder flash. BTW a redneck legend floats around here about the dodo who got the 300 Win mag flash and boom by pulling the trigger with the truck window up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OMG! WOW! OUCH! In Turtle's words, as soon as I get my ass put back on I think I'll have a seat! ROTFLM-O

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.FlashBangs.AreUs

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ned I emptied a .45 ACP inside a corncrib one time in West Virginia.No ear plugs,that hurt.
Dan How manys rats can Wolfer whack if a Wolfer can whack rats?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know Wolfer, and in truth I never considered that Wolfers Whacked Wats...until a day or two back. There, I didn't even try saying it 10 times! I sure do like the way it reads though! Excellent use of the English my good man!

BTW, your place on the Right Coast, not too far from the Shark Pit as I recall. Wicked shore break there.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.WhackedWats.WeirdWonkers

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure would like to know why a fellow would shoot up a W. Va. corn crib. Snakes? Right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live about 37 miles east of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy, where all the law enforcement officers are trained and certified in Iowa. Some of the stories from there are pretty neat.

One guy took his M1911, loaded, locked and cocked, out of his holster to use the restroom. He hung it by the trigger guard on a hook, intended for hanging hats, in the stall, and proceeded to drop his trousers and accomplish his business. On the way down, he bumped the pistol, discovering to his chagrin, that the piece was loaded and cocked, but not locked. The pistol did not fire once; no, each time it fired, it spun around on the hook, and hit the trigger again, which resulted in 8 rounds discharged "gatling gun style" into the ceiling, stall walls and porcelain tile floor at a highly rapid rate. That gentleman was truly humbled, especially since he needed extensive probing and band-aids to remove the porcelain fragments from various and sundry parts of his anatomy.

In another story, one police officer discharged his pistol through a window. Actually it was through the closed portion of an open sliding window, so he shot through two windows. Until the round entered the closed portion of the open sliding window in the barracks next door. And exited the closed portion of the open sliding window on the other side of THAT barracks.

We'd just had the windows installed the week before. So, what's the record for an negligent discharge shooting through more than one window at one time?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ned no snakes just real drunk.We were inside the corncrib shooting at a target outside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
120mm A local game warden came home and showed his wife the new .40 S&W he was issued,shooting her in the foot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some suspicion there were Billy Bobs involved. But Obviously not commode huggin' drunk. Did you hit the cat?

one of us
posted Hide Post
120 I have never heard of any real challenge to your Iowa LE records. Iowa wins pants down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You boys are rollin', please don't stop now! I will add however that discharging all that firepower without dusting a cat or two reflects poorly on the perps. Bet that warden didn't share any conubial bliss for a time.

Wolfer Whacka, have that fellow get in touch with Aunt Tabby for us.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.PanicInThe.BoysRoom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nedd I didn't hit the cat or the target,I forget.
Dan The warden has been transfered out to the western part of the state counting chipmunk droppings after that incident.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
120mm,Kind of scratching my head on what happened to the grip safety in the head incident,,did he tape it to be useless?,,,,,or did someone "work" on it that should have kept thier mitts off of it?,,Not trying to piss on the parade,,but find that hard to belive with a 1911 in proper order.Or should I be very wary of carrying mine cocked and locked in my back pocket?Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got it right on the first guess. It is an example given to all the new ILEA inductees as to why you should a) not do trigger jobs or otherwise modify your carry weapon, and b) never put ANYTHING through the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot. The officer involved had been doing some home gunsmithing to clean up his trigger, and somehow disabled the grip safety.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i shot my .357 ONE TIME in a steel grain bin.....without earplugs......... now that hurts......still.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tasco74,
Worst I did in a steel grain bin was straighten out a bent chute bottom. Eight pound sledge, about three good whacks was all. I couldn't imagine a .357 in there! My uncle had a hand cannon of that caliber, Colt variety, and it was loud enough to echo across the valley four times.

God protects the innocent and the foolish, man oh man is he busy!

Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You guys sure are dumb shootin' your guns inside the car, everyone knows you hoist your 3" twelve guage out the window, lean out, prop the back of your shoulder against the window pillar and let fly...

www.sore4days.com

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's summer. It's slow. We just knew there was a Texan waiting with his story. Iowa still wins though!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, gives rise to a new meaning to "Texas Brain Shot" don't it?!

Like his web site though!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Unfair.Advantage

one of us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate,
good one
sore4days?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Growing up, we lived about a mile and a half away from our nearest neighbor, whose name was Frank. Frank was basically a good guy, but there was something fundamentally wrong with Frank. He just sometimes did unconventional things without thinking them through. For instance, you know them "shoot out the star" bb machineguns, that look just like Thompsens? Frank always wanted one of those, and one day at an auction, he found and bought six of them. First thing Frank did was figure out that that tube of b.b.s just wasn't enough for him, so he set up a hopper system for feeding a nearly unlimited supply of b.b.s. You see, Frank was something of an inventor. What Frank didn't count on, was that his 120 psi shop air was just a teeny bit more powerful than the compressed air the guys at the carnival used to help you shoot out that darned star.

Of course, the seals inside the gun didn't fail right away, but when they did, it was catastrophic, and heck, for those of us who weren't Frank, it was downright funny. You see, when the gun ran away on him, Frank just kind of let go of it, which was absolutely the wrong reaction, as his extremely competent compressor kept the gun running through the five gallon can of b.b.s he had hooked up to his hopper feed system. By the time the dust settled, Frank had shot out every window and light in his machineshed, as well as peppered himself quite well with something that looked like a rash, and required some painful, yet minor surgery. He even got a b.b. lodged in a tear duct, which could have been much worse than it turned out.

Unfortunately, Frank didn't learn from this, though he didn't screw around with those guns any more. Seems he decided to save some money running concrete for his hog house, by doing it himself. He made sure to slope the floors so the liquid manure, and other pig by-products would run to the drain. Which he forgot to install PRIOR to running the concrete.

Of course, being Frank, he got his Remington model 700 in .270 Winchester out, and got up on a ladder, and put THREE rounds into the spot where he wanted that dagburned drain. It's only after this when he noticed the blood running down his forehead, and again, went to the doctor to get various and sundry fragments of concrete out of his body.

There are more Frank stories out there; you all have just reminded me of a couple of the more colorful ones.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
After 2 shots of "sighting in" my 12 ga. for 3"brennke "mags" I gave the other box of shells and the balance of the first box,,,To my hunting buddy,and told him I was using my contender.Clay

one of us
posted Hide Post
120mm No more Frank stories,my stomach hurts from laughing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I respectfully submit that I would like to hear more Frank stories as I relate to him quite a bit. Belly pain can be treated with drugs or alcohol, but a laughed missed is gone forever. 120mm, I was wondering if he was the guy that invented the "load of bricks on the pulley hoist" trick? Or was it the load of cats, I forget.

I think I like the idea about the endless machine gun though. Frank might have pursued that with a little encouragment and/or motivation. Just upgrade the o-rings a bit and next thing you know you got crowd control, a livestock herding implement, good crowd sound effects at the Dimocratic Nat'l Convention, and lastly, a tremendous non-destructive WMD( ) for our next gathering at GCII. Imagine yourself rising up out of the lily pond, hundreds of cats lined up at the bar unaware. All in slow motion of course. I shall start marketing BB's in 50# bags straight away! Real men will set their paint ball guns aside...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.BetterLivingThrough.Firepower

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Excuuuuse me but I was technically a Coonass at the time and therefore not responsible for my actions. I beleive it happened between trips to the drive-thru Daquiri Hut.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Actually it would be Tee-Bobs in South Louisianna. Billy Bobs tend more towards the north of the state and Mississippi.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan, sorry for ripping off your signature but it's just too much fun to pass up the brain tease.

www.billbarnicle.com

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question, in Louisianna we found the rats to be both small and gamey. Nutria were much better on both counts.